Votes: 59 77.6%

• Total voters

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
On that 1993 UT game... it was a tie. BUT, I guarantee you to this day ask any UT fan or Alabama fan who witnessed it whether they were happy about it or hated it. Not a single UT fan is happy about that game. They largely dominated for most of it and held that 17-9 lead with less than 2 minutes to go. We had beaten them 7 straight. There was a great deal of frustration built up for them that they were about to get to release. And we stole that away with seconds to spare. A tie is never a win, but that game was almost as sweet as the 2009 game.
I love this quote from Fulmer this week about the game:

“It was one of the most disappointing moments that I’ve ever had,” Fulmer said 27 years later in the same interview in which he referred to the game as a loss.

Anytime Phatty is disappointed it's a good day. I love that we still live in his Phat head ... 27 years later.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I don't think he would even get recruited by Alabama today. He ran a 4.7 40. Now, I am not saying that no receiver can have success running a 4.7 40, but he was also only 5'8" tall.
Well, he was 5'8" on a good day with some inserts in his shoes, but I don't know where this 4.7 stuff came from. most articles reported him in the 4.4 range , even though those are not official times so take it with a grain of salt, but I do know that I clocked a mid 4.5 and I couldn't catch Palmer. (https://www.maxpreps.com/news/cW8I2...4 seconds in,Heisman Trophy balloting in 1993.)

Finally, go to the 13 minute mark of this video and just watch.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I love this quote from Fulmer this week about the game:

“It was one of the most disappointing moments that I’ve ever had,” Fulmer said 27 years later in the same interview in which he referred to the game as a loss.

Anytime Phatty is disappointed it's a good day. I love that we still live in his Phat head ... 27 years later.
That has made my day

• Roll Tide!
Reactions: crimsonaudio

Blueguitar

3rd Team
Nov 19, 2017
I probably have to say Waddle. But consider this. Waddle may not even be the best receiver on this team. That's not a knock on Waddle. Its a statement about what a Golden Age this is for Alabama football.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
What if Palmer had access to the same strength, speed and conditioning coaching that Waddle has had. what could that have looked like? What about executing some of today's scheme, with a WR screen out to the flats and two other WRs blocking for him? Would he ever get tackled before a long gain? Bubble screen inside - forget it... What about if back shoulder throws had been an option back then?
^^Excellent point^^

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
To me these are two very different players. They both have/had elite skills.

Waddle Skills

WR 9/10
Speed 10/10
Elusiveness 8.5/10
Power 8.5/10
Intangibles 9/10
Wildcat 8/10
Versatility 9/10
Returner 9.5/10

Palmer Skills

WR 8.5/10
Speed 7.5/10
Elusiveness 10/10
Power 8/10
Intangibles 10/10
Wildcat 10/10
Versatility 10/10
Returner 10/10

Give me waddle as a WR.
Give me Palmer as Wildcat and Returner

I think Palmer would be just as dynamic in today’s game as he was in the 90s. He could always take himself up to the next level like flipping a switch. He may not have been fast by the stopwatch but in college he was always able to get an arms length away from the defender. He could not be tackled by one man.

Game on the line and I need 40 yards for a TD. Give me Waddle or Cooper.

Last play of the game from the 3yd line.
Give me Tebow or Palmer at wildcat.

Reactions: seebell

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
To be honest, I think anybody who votes Palmer is voting on nostalgia and sentimentality. The game and the athletes have changed so much that it is like comparing apples and airplanes at this point. Could just as soon compare Palmer to Don Hutson...
Yeah...not really comparable. Palmer was an overall athlete. Played some QB at Bama. Played at WR. Returned punts. Coach Stallings once described Palmer with a special title. "David is just a special football player" He didnt say that about many players. Palmer was special. Jalen is special today. Very different skillsets. Palmer could play in today's game...but Jalen could have played in David's time ss well and his game would have been different. Athletes. Both are. Barker would have been throwing deep a lot more had Jalen been there. Jalen is going to make a lot of money if he can stay healthy. So is Mac.

Reactions: B1GTide

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
^^Excellent point^^
OLs couldnt hold people like they do now. Our OLs in those days...and you can remember..were run blockers. Our QBs got pummeled on pass plays. I felt sorry for Barker sometimes. Today it is way different. But Palmer could play today. He was no where near Jalen's speed, but he had very quick feet like Marquis Maze. We will miss Jalen when he is gone. Jeudy and Ruggs talked about Jalen Waddle being special in Fall camp of 2018. They werent joking were they?;)

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I’m not sitting here worried I will see Waddle’s name in the police blotter tomorrow morning. So I will go with him.

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
To me these are two very different players. They both have/had elite skills.

Waddle Skills

WR 9/10
Speed 10/10
Elusiveness 8.5/10
Power 8.5/10
Intangibles 9/10
Wildcat 8/10
Versatility 9/10
Returner 9.5/10

Palmer Skills

WR 8.5/10
Speed 7.5/10
Elusiveness 10/10
Power 8/10
Intangibles 10/10
Wildcat 10/10
Versatility 10/10
Returner 10/10

Give me waddle as a WR.
Give me Palmer as Wildcat and Returner

I think Palmer would be just as dynamic in today’s game as he was in the 90s. He could always take himself up to the next level like flipping a switch. He may not have been fast by the stopwatch but in college he was always able to get an arms length away from the defender. He could not be tackled by one man.

Game on the line and I need 40 yards for a TD. Give me Waddle or Cooper.

Last play of the game from the 3yd line.
Give me Tebow or Palmer at wildcat.
David Palmer was the greatest pure (football, but maybe ball) player I've ever seen. WAY too undersized. Was quicker by far than anyone on the field. I believe he was plenty fast his Frosh year and got injured which slowed him slightly for rest of career. ULTRA confident on the field. He couldn't conceive of someone NOT being able to throw or catch a ball. Man among boys

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.