December 7, 1941

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
81 years ago today.......

One of the two most humbling places I've ever been. The eeriness of the oil still coming up there is a constant reminder of the events of 12/7/41 and the lives lost there and worldwide over the next 4 years.

The most humbling place I have been is Auschwitz-Birkenau on a cold December day in 2000 when nobody else was there besides my wife and me.

Both remain memorials to those who died because of incredible evil.

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA
One of the two most humbling places I've ever been. The eeriness of the oil still coming up there is a constant reminder of the events of 12/7/41 and the lives lost there and worldwide over the next 4 years.

The most humbling place I have been is Auschwitz-Birkenau on a cold December day in 2000 when nobody else was there besides my wife and me.

Both remain memorials to those who died because of incredible evil.
While I can't say I have been to Aushwitz-Birkenau, I have been to Pearl Harbor twice. As stated, the oil still coming up just leaves an impact when you look up and see all the sailors names on the wall. I personally will never forget it. My wife and I wish to take our 3 children to see it one day.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
The Arizona Memorial is one place where everyone there is silent. If there’s any speaking, it’s in whispers.

I’ve never been to Auschwitz, but want to go. I imagine it’s the same.

Want to know why the public has so little respect for the press? There’s a nice article on one of the Arizona survivors in today’s Birmingham News, page A8. On the paper’s front page, there’s a small blurb directing readers to it.

The headline on the blurb? D-Day Anniversary.

I am not kidding.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
The Arizona Memorial is one place where everyone there is silent. If there’s any speaking, it’s in whispers.

I’ve never been to Auschwitz, but want to go. I imagine it’s the same.

Want to know why the public has so little respect for the press? There’s a nice article on one of the Arizona survivors in today’s Birmingham News, page A8. On the paper’s front page, there’s a small blurb directing readers to it.

The headline on the blurb? D-Day Anniversary.

I am not kidding.
WHAT!? Yep, we`re pretty much doomed as a society.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA
Well, I work at a middle school here in South Ga. There has been basically no mention of the significance of the day. But we have tryouts for middle school baseball and we will by the Grace of God mention it there and pay our respects. My 3 kids will also get another year of why it is such an important day to remember. Society sucks sometimes....

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Some pretty good documentaries on The History Channel today. Lot of info most people do know know about. The one on right now "Pearl Harbor: 24 Hours After" is fascinating. It ends in 40 minutes and that's it for the day on Pearl Harbor.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Some pretty good documentaries on The History Channel today. Lot of info most people do know know about. The one on right now "Pearl Harbor: 24 Hours After" is fascinating. It ends in 40 minutes and that's it for the day on Pearl Harbor.
I watch the Military Channel and American Heroes Channel a lot. Haven’t watched any TV yet today, but I’d bet they have some programming on Pearl Harbor.

Reactions: Bazza

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Yet more confirmation of the arrogant ignorance of the press.

I don’t expect that he’ll have the decency to apologize to families and survivors of both Pearl Harbor and the real D-Day landings IN NORMANDY, Sean (JUST FYI, THAT’S IN FRANCE), IN 1944.

So much for “remembering sacrifice.” Jiminy Christmas.

I’m reminded of a classic line from Animal House that would get me permanently banned.

Last edited:
Reactions: Padreruf

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Yet more confirmation of the arrogant ignorance of the press.

I don’t expect that he’ll have the decency to apologize to families and survivors of both Pearl Harbor and the real D-Day landings IN NORMANDY, Sean (JUST FYI, THAT’S IN FRANCE), IN 1944.

So much for “remembering sacrifice.” Jiminy Christmas.

I’m reminded of a classic line from Animal House that would get me permanently banned.
Well, to be fair "former White House Press Secretary" isn't quite the same as "member of the press".

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Interest fact about my family: I was born on 12/17/1950 -- anniversary of the flying of the first Wright Brothers airplane in 1903.

My younger brother was born on 12/7/1959 -- anniversary of the bombing of Pearl Harbor in 1941.

Who knew in 1903 that this incredible technology would come to be such an instrument of destruction? I am convinced that no matter what we do, we humans possess the key to whether we use our technology/talents for good or evil.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
This day is a constant reminder that I am lucky to be here. My grandfather survived this bombing and the war to come back home to his wife and have 4 kids, the second of which was my father.

Everyone needs to go visit this, it is a must. I almost broke down in tears and I am not the mushy type.
It was an unforgettable experience for me, also.

Reactions: Bazza

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.