Decision Date For `20 Season ?

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I`m sure I`m not the only one who`s wondered what the deadline is for a decision on the upcoming season. I`m assuming that that`s a decision that will be made by the NCAA (?). If a date has already been determined and reported upon, my apologies to the board.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I've just seen the speculation that roughly 60 days are needed for teams to be ready to compete. About 30 days for summer conditioning and then about 30 for fall camp. For the season to start around Sept. 1, that means programs will need to be free to start reconvening by July 1.

With the "good news" coming from other places that were ahead of us on infections and perhaps a glimpse of hope here, I'm optimistic we'll be on schedule by then. JMO

I probably didn't answer your question, but my hope is the PTB within the NCAA will just sit tight and not make any decisions in the next few weeks.

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
I've just seen the speculation that roughly 60 days are needed for teams to be ready to compete. About 30 days for summer conditioning and then about 30 for fall camp. For the season to start around Sept. 1, that means programs will need to be free to start reconvening by July 1.

With the "good news" coming from other places that were ahead of us on infections and perhaps a glimpse of hope here, I'm optimistic we'll be on schedule by then. JMO

I probably didn't answer your question, but my hope is the PTB within the NCAA will just sit tight and not make any decisions in the next few weeks.
The summer conditioning takes care of itself at the individual level.

Reactions: Bazza

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
What I'm hoping most is for a full season. I don't really care when it starts. Worst thing would be something like an 8 game season and have the committee try and decide the 4 best teams when there may be more than 4 teams sitting at 8-0.

Reactions: Bazza

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
What I'm hoping most is for a full season. I don't really care when it starts. Worst thing would be something like an 8 game season and have the committee try and decide the 4 best teams when there may be more than 4 teams sitting at 8-0.
In theory, of course, this "could" happen (and God knows, I should be betting on it since what almost always happens is the ONE nightmare scenario that we don't need).

However.....

since all 5 conferences play championship games, the maximum number you could possibly have is five Power Five Conference teams. The divisions play round robin, which would leave at most two per conference - and they'd play head to head. Thus, you'd wind up with a maximum of five teams.

And the likelihood of that happening is remote.

What's MORE likely - and problematic - is a plethora of one-loss teams across the country where the team that doesn't even win the division looks like the best team in the conference (insert 2011 and 2017 examples). Suppose you wind up where every single team in an eight-game season has a loss. You have a much smaller set of data points, and you also have the temptation of the committee to salvage the financial wreckage by picking the biggest draws that will guarantee more money across the board: Ohio State, Alabama, Oklahoma, and Notre Dame.

We are far more likely to have 10-12 one-loss teams than five unbeatens given that we would be setting the cupcake contests aside.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
I just want to see Bama beat Auburn and OSU beat Michigan. I am a simple man with few needs.
I second that! If the season gets altered in some way, no matter what, the Bama-LSU and Bama-auburn games must get played. First of all, we owe those two teams payback. HUGE understatement. Secondly, I can't stand the thought of having to play back to back IB's at jinxy hair stadium. And that is exactly what would happen in the scenario that the 2020 season was axed entirely. That would just be one less IB on our campus, and one more on their's. That ain't acceptable! :)

• Roll Tide!
Reactions: OSUTideFan

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
If things get crazy enough maybe they just decide teams play like 6 games with 2 weeks off between games, no conference or national champs this year and the emphasis is on teams playing traditional rivalry games

I know it’s goofy and unrealistic but I’d rather watch some college football than none at all

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
If things get crazy enough maybe they just decide teams play like 6 games with 2 weeks off between games, no conference or national champs this year and the emphasis is on teams playing traditional rivalry games

I know it’s goofy and unrealistic but I’d rather watch some college football than none at all
Exactly. I'd be fine with just keeping the traditional rivalry games if it came down to just playing an extremely limited schedule.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

There's a truckload of money sitting on the table because of a four-team playoff.

That ain't going to waste.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

If we are able to play let 'em play the full schedule. And the directional schools that depend on making ends meet by playing the traditional powers will need those games too.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
So hypothetically, if we start the season in Oct and go with 8 games. I wonder how they will determine the bowl game cut off for losses. As many bowls as we have youll be seeing some 2 or 3 win teams in bowl games depending on how my schools field a team this year.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

I know yours did.

PA Tide's did not, though.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.