Not open for further replies.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Can someone just beat the snot out of a few of the hardliners to lower the number of votes needed? Hospitalize them and maybe after 2-3 the others fear they might next?

Isn’t that why you have a WHIP?

• Haha
Reactions: twofbyc

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
What would actually happen if 6 Republicans crosses over and voted for Jefferies as Speaker? Do the Democrats even want the crossover votes? This sure appears to be an opportunity to weaken and embarass the magats?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Here are my thoughts on this: I'm torn in several directions, and I feel like I'm almost obligated to support "the evil of two lessers" here while smugly chuckling at the laughable level of disorganization that is the GOP now.

1) Watching McCarthy maybe not get Speaker is poetic justice.

I had little idea who he even was, didn't know anything at all about the whole Paul Ryan in his place fiasco, I didn't keep up with it THAT much - plus when Boehner resigned, I was going through my divorce which had my attention diverted elsewhere.

But his actions of jettisoning Liz Cheney to kowtow to Maximum Moron, his embrace of Stefanik, and his refusal to bring the GOP caucus in line and say, "Look, whatever anyone wants to think, Biden won, that's it" show an amazing lack of spine. While I understand politics isn't for idealists - and it's hard to tell the difference between selling out and compromise - "hey look, the same ballot that elected Biden helped us pick up seats" is not irrational.

I've always been bothered by the overly ambitious for office. And yeah, I know every office seeker has SOME ambition, but he passed the point of non-acceptability a long time ago. He COULD have dropped the anvil on Trump's head - and I will never understand why he didn't understand basic politics. In the long run, voters may reject in emotion principle but later on they'll come back to it, too.

2) If they get McCarthy's head on their wall...what next?

That's the bigger problem it seems to me. There's an imprecise parallel here with the 1968 anti-war movement. I say imprecise because the major difference here in terms of WHAT THEY WANTED is that the anti-war movement had a specific goal in mind: get out of Vietnam. But there are some similarities. They wanted Johnson gone, he stepped aside. Yes, RFK was murdered, but the "movement" was splintered between (here's an irony for you) McCarthy (Eugene) and RFK prior to the assassination. After the assassination, you still had "well if our guy can't get it, your guy can't get it, either!" Who won? Humphrey (admittedly - probably inevitable under the old rules). And guess what? After throwing Johnson overboard and failing to coalesce behind McCarthy, they got LBJ's VP as the lead candidate - and they went after him, too. In the end, he lost by less than a point, and while it's a fool's errand to point to any one "that's why he lost", not being able to hold his base was a major issue - and the base was simply ornery while having an objective in mind but no idea how to reach it.

That - to me - is the bigger problem here. Sure, they may claim (Kevin) McCarthy's head for their wall and part of me is even happy to see it. But who's next? There doesn't seem to be ANY plan for "okay, after we kill the king, who's going to run the country?" And guess what? If the Angry 19 nominate some extremist idiot, the "more responsible" (by comparison anyway) members of the GOP are liable to say, "Well, you destroyed OUR candidate so we're destroying YOURS!"

3) This comedy only works just so long as there's no crisis.

God forbid but another 9/11 or 2008 market crash or something happening will only exacerbate this nonsense.

4) Who is the real "RINO"?

Somewhere along the way, Trump became the dictionary for defining words, and being a RINO is apparently a serious sin. Never mind that Trump's 19th century economics and 18th century populism wouldn't have made the cut even in the Bizarro world of the Gingrich 1990s.

If I'm anything but a Republican right now, I'm ambivalent. I mean, I'm laughing my tail off that the party has gone full Brexit and can't organize a two-car funeral...but this may have serious consequences if something bad happens. It's almost like reliving Trump getting elected - it was sheer hilarity to watch Hillary's lifelong dream crumble but not at the cost of getting Cheeto Jeezus as leader for four years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.