Defensive Coordinator Shortlist (There is no opening as of this time)

BamaBoySince89

All-SEC
Aug 13, 2016
Columbia, MD
If in the event Saban encourages Golding to look elsewhere for another opportunity, who does Saban look to? I know he keeps a list of coaches just for this purpose but one name I would throw out there would be Charlie Strong. Thoughts?

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
The Ump was going through this today. The rumor about Steele was apparently started by one of them, Suttles I think, and it was nothing more than a "what if" on Twitter. I don't think it was based on any insider information.

We know that Saban was very complimentary about Golding, but to the best of my knowledge he has never bad-mouthed an assistant on staff and hardly ever said anything remotely detrimental about anyone ever. The Ump thinks that there will be a minimum turnover of 2 coaches. Golding could end up somewhere else, and there are probably upgrades available for this job. Or, Saban may stick with Golding and treat it as coach development.

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
Why bring this up now? We have a DC. If the time comes that we don't, then we can discuss it. I heard Suttles today. He did not suggest KS in the mix for DC. He emphatically stated multiple times when questioned who would Bama go after if CPG left/was asked to leave, he thought they ought to at least make a call to KS. He said he had no inside information, it was just his thought of who should at least be checked with.

rgw

Hall of Fame
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
If Golding doesn't leave pretty soon, I would assume that Saban has decided that he will be back for 2020. New hires at HC are about to be filling their staffs. If he's not moving on by Christmas then bet on him returning.

BamaInMo1

All-SEC
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
I don't think Golding is leaving.
I give him a pass this season. All of the injs we had and let's face it, during the season you don't have much time to work on fundamentals. You do that in spring and early fall. But if he did go I wouldn't want Steele again. Just my $.02 worth. Now I'll wait on my change.

BAMAVILLE

All-American
Jan 9, 2014
No, you haven't missed anything. Golding is out there recruiting for Alabama right now.
True, I won't be surprised at all if we have a more stable situation on defense with Golding at the helm and I'm sure a lot of the talk about him will die down.