Defensive Coordinator Shortlist (There is no opening as of this time)

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
If some of the rumblings are true, Golding he will get his chance (save another injury bug year) to run a defense with not only a lot of underclassmen with a ton of game experience. But some returning upper classmen that are trying to improve their draft stock.
I hope that`s the case. If that happens, then we`ll know a lot more. Lord knows we could use a little coaching staff stability, too, IMHO.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If some of the rumblings are true, Golding he will get his chance (save another injury bug year) to run a defense with not only a lot of underclassmen with a ton of game experience. But some returning upper classmen that are trying to improve their draft stock.
And if so, then we'll know about his defensive chops. If CNS likes him as much as is rumored, I imagine Golding will look alot smarter/better this time next year.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
For those of you who watched the HBO special you saw two great coaches, sons of coaches, who played the sport as far as they could then ended up getting into coaching themselves. From the beginning to the end, the passion of Saban and Bilichick was talking x's and o's. During his interview, Saban was impressed with Golding's knowledge of x's and o's - a coaches son himself, who played as far as he could then got into coaching. Make no mistake, Pete is going to be around as our DC for a long while. The perfect guy for Saban to mold in his own image.

Reactions: Con

graydogg85

1st Team
Feb 7, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Kevin Steele is a hired gun and will always be looking for the next biggest paycheck. No loyalty whatsoever. Auburn talent made him look better than he really is imo.
I have always found the level of success that Steele has enjoyed at Auburn to be puzzling. I mean, the guy was absolutely horrendous as DC at Clemson (anyone remember the 70-33 loss to West Virginia in the 2012 Orange Bowl?), and no better than mediocre as DC at LSU. I remember thinking it was a terrible hire for Auburn at the time. You may be right, the talent level at AU may be compensating for some of his deficiencies.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
For those of you who watched the HBO special you saw two great coaches, sons of coaches, who played the sport as far as they could then ended up getting into coaching themselves. From the beginning to the end, the passion of Saban and Bilichick was talking x's and o's. During his interview, Saban was impressed with Golding's knowledge of x's and o's - a coaches son himself, who played as far as he could then got into coaching. Make no mistake, Pete is going to be around as our DC for a long while. The perfect guy for Saban to mold in his own image.

We're just going to have to trust "Saban knows best" on this one. But Alabama isn't an "on the job training" type program and that is evident by the expectations of the fan base (no matter how unrealistic they may be) and by the hardware in the trophy case. You better know what you're doing when you get here. His learning curve is now over.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
We're just going to have to trust "Saban knows best" on this one. But Alabama isn't an "on the job training" type program and that is evident by the expectations of the fan base (no matter how unrealistic they may be) and by the hardware in the trophy case. You better know what you're doing when you get here. His learning curve is now over.
With all due respect, this is a Nick Saban type program no matter what you or I have to say about it. That's Nick's man and all of us armchair college football coaches might as well just accept it. After all, he is the legendary coach that built this monster into what it is today.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
With all due respect, this is a Nick Saban type program no matter what you or I have to say about it. That's Nick's man and all of us armchair college football coaches might as well just accept it. After all, he is the legendary coach that built this monster into what it is today.
That's why I prefaced with "We're just going to have to trust that Saban knows best" on this one. In that he puts a lot of what happened with our defense on injuries and things not the fault of or because of lack of competency of Golding. Because it was just last year that a certain DC only got one shot at it and was "encouraged" to look elsewhere after the season.

• Roll Tide!
Reactions: Con and CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
That's why I prefaced with "We're just going to have to trust that Saban knows best" on this one. In that he puts a lot of what happened with our defense on injuries and things not the fault of or because of lack of competency of Golding. Because it was just last year that a certain DC only got one shot at it and was "encouraged" to look elsewhere after the season.
I dig, I just think that Saban see's something in the guy that we have yet to see. And frankly, we have been atrocious on D the past two years so there is no wonder that Golding sits squarely in the crosshairs. This next year will be very revealing regarding his actual competency as our leading man on defense.

cmcno33

Dec 6, 2019
I would like to see us take a serious look at Barry Odom as DC. (IF Golding leaves)
Any thoughts about him?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.