Deion is on his way to Colorado

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
From one of the Colorado articles online:

Colorado's hiring of Coach Prime is in every respect a game-changing moment. His arrival signifies a renewed commitment from everyone involved, from the very top of the CU administration on down.

The message is clear: The flagship program of CU Athletics is important. Its success is integral to the overall health of every program in the department — and it is incumbent upon every stakeholder involved to ensure the program is provided every opportunity to succeed.

Only time will tell what kind of results such a commitment will produce. But no crystal ball is needed to know this much:

Colorado football is relevant again.

Overnight.

The impact of Sanders' arrival will be immediate.

Every high school recruit in the nation knows Deion Sanders' name. No introduction will be necessary. If Sanders visits, recruits — and their parents — will listen. Sanders caused shockwaves in the recruiting world at Jackson State; it is safe to assume he will do the same — and more — in Boulder.

The situation will be the same with the transfer portal. Good and great players will be aching to suit up for Sanders. In an era when rebuilding a roster takes one offseason instead of three or four years, he is the perfect fit for the Buffaloes in that regard.

There is also the impact Sanders will have on donors and contributors to Name, Image and Likeness programs. Guaranteed, there will be a sudden and significant resurgence in people interested in being part of the CU and the Coach Prime experience.

And, quite obviously, the man can coach. In three years, he turned perennially downtrodden Jackson State into a winner, compiling a three-year record of 27-5 that culminated with a SWAC championship Saturday.

But there are other qualities that make Sanders the ideal choice for the Buffaloes.

He knows the importance of a quality coaching staff. His assistants at Jackson State included a healthy list of former NFL and college coaches, men who know the game. There is no doubt he will assemble a similar lineup at Colorado.

Sanders has also proven to be a solid mentor for young men at Jackson State. While he clearly carries the swagger that helped him become one of the best all-around athletes of a generation, he also demands accountability from his players.

He encourages them to sit in the front of the classroom and engage with their teachers and professors. While he did not implement a strict dress code, he encouraged his players to look the part and represent their university in a solid light.

Reactions: seebell and Con

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I’m curious how this plays out.

It is much easier to procure a significant talent advantage when you’re coaching at an HBCU and you’re Deion Sanders. What about getting talent to Colorado? You’ll have to be more than a good recruiter to win in the Pac12.
He’s already told the players at Colorado that some of them won’t have jobs because he’s bringing his players with him.

Bold strategy, let’s see how it plays out.

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
He’s already told the players at Colorado that some of them won’t have jobs because he’s bringing his players with him.

IMHO, coaching is about loving and building up players. A mercenary approach doesn’t end well ( think Auburn.) Players respond to knowing you care about them more than threats. Water will seek it’s own level. Things will work out with a process in the long run ( think Saban.)Colorado doesn’t expect a turn around over nite. Players are going to place themselves in the best situation for their own selves. This appears to be to be all about Dion. Players eventually see thru that.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al

Deion Sanders Meets With Colorado Players, Tells Them to Get Into Portal (msn.com)
Essentially, Sanders told the kids already there that their spots would be taken by incoming players.
It's worth noting that at his introductory press conference, Sanders announced his son, Shedeur Sanders, will be his quarterback next season.

and this:
Deion Sanders Lands First Big Recruit at Colorado (msn.com)

The 2025 recruit hails from Fort Myers, Fla., just like Sanders. He’s one of the top wideouts in his class, a fact that signals Sanders’s presence in the Pac-12 already can be felt on the recruiting trail.
Watkins was previously committed to Texas A&M before pledging to Colorado on Sunday.

2025 is a long time away.

Last edited:
Reactions: B1GTide

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Frankly, I think the buffs struck gold by landing Prime. Gonna be a force on the recruiting trail.
This. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Colorado in the top10 recruiting rankings sooner than later.

I mean, he got the #1 player in the country to sign at an HBCU. Full stop. That is unreal.

As in, don't be surprised when top recruit(s) / player(s) picks Colorado over teams like Bama, OSU, Michigan, UGA. He really connects with players.

Add to that what he's shown he can do at JSU, which has been impressive, and right now it looks like his unconventional approach to, well, everything, might not be an issue after all.

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
They went 1-11 with their only win being in OT over 4-8 Cal. I doubt many Colorado fans will miss anyone.
I’m sure they won’t. He will get better players and have more wins next year. Sooner or later, he will have to care more for players than his Prime Time ego to succeed long term.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Hard words from a man who has a plan to make this team more mentally and physically tough than they are today. He is old school, and will try to do this the way it has been done for a long time. I wish him well in that endeavor.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Deion is going to put Colorado in the top of the Pac 12 within 2 or 3 years. Their recruiting is about to explode with him and his staff. Colorado just put the Pac 12 on notice....in my opinion.

I wonder how many of those kids in that meeting will make it to next fall still on the team.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Sounded like a punk to me. Blanket meeting to call the players a bunch of bums and tell them to get lost….not sure that mindset will work out in the long run.
Colorado over the years......has been one of the worst Power 5 programs in the country.

They finished 1-11 this year. Most of those players have no concept of winning or what it takes to win. They need some tough words.

They had those great 1989 and 1990 years. Did really well in 1994-96. Other than that they've had two 10 win seasons....1997 to present.

In that same time period they've had 18 losing seasons.

Since 1997 they've had horrid seasons of:
2000 3-8
2006 2-10
2009 3-9
2011 3-10
2012 1-11
2013 4-8
2014 2-10
2015 4-9
2021 4-8
2022 1-11

They haven't been competitive most years.

They are a program that should be competing for conference titles regularly, at a minimum.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.