Did Harsin’s seat just get very hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
He's no more wrong than any of the other blowhards on the clown show masquerading as football programming. It's a reminder of why "E" comes before "S" in "ESPN." E.g.:
  • The Bear does worse against the spread than I do in the weekly Tidefans Pick 'em (and that's saying something). If you want to make money on his picks, do the opposite (aka, the Constanza strategy)
  • Desmond Howard picked TAMU to win the CFP
That said. McAfee is an insufferable amongst clowns (Rece and Herbstreit excepted). I have stopped watching GameDay solely because he is on it.
Is it Pat McAfee? The only guy whose podcast Aaron Rodgers apparently will go on? Also, if it's the same guy that was on the Manning version of MNF last night, I can't stand listening to him.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
The barn has this. The Penn State game was an anomaly. Undefeated in the SEC. Tied for 1st in the West with Bama. Hold on....the Iron Bowl is shaping up to be an epic showdown with a trip to Mercedes Benz Stadium on the line

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
LSU got lucky with Nick Saban in that they had no clue what they had found. It's like buying a suitcase at a pawn shop and then finding it filled with cash when you get home.
I have always suspected - but I'll admit I might be wrong about this - that Saban only got the LSU job BECAUSE OF HIS LAST NAME.

Did LSU - deep down - have any reason to hire Nick Saban in late 1999 over Les Miles or even Mike Leach? How about Pete Carroll? All were available to varying degrees at the time, although Miles wasn't hired until the next year.

Yes, Saban had NFL experience. So did Miles and Carroll.
Miles also had experience in the building stage of Colorado from nothing to champion and at Michigan as well as at Okie State - and then three years with the Cowboys.

None had SEC experience (although Carroll was a GA at Arkansas under Holtz). In fact, why wouldn't you try to get Holtz, who won everywhere he went? Sure, he'd been at USCe - and gone 0-11.

As a reminder - LSU was "this close" to hiring Steve Spurrier in 1986 - at the exact same time we were "this close" to hiring Bobby Bowden.

All I can do at this point is ponder what might have been.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Welp starting center, who was actually our backup until the presumptive starter retired due to injury before the season, has to have elbow surgery after that injury against Mizzou. Now we're down to Jalil Irvin pending some shuffling.

Man, the offensive line stuff is just the worst sort of luck.
I really don't think AU fans should even mention bad luck after the luck they had against Mizzou. ;)

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
He's no more wrong than any of the other blowhards on the clown show masquerading as football programming. It's a reminder of why "E" comes before "S" in "ESPN." E.g.:
  • The Bear does worse against the spread than I do in the weekly Tidefans Pick 'em (and that's saying something). If you want to make money on his picks, do the opposite (aka, the Costanza strategy)
  • Desmond Howard picked TAMU to win the CFP
That said. McAfee is an insufferable amongst clowns (Rece and Herbstreit excepted). I have stopped watching GameDay solely because he is on it.
I don't mind Howard picking A&M as he is enjoyable overall. Definitely not a fan of Bear and McAfee is making me not want to watch.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Is it Pat McAfee? The only guy whose podcast Aaron Rodgers apparently will go on? Also, if it's the same guy that was on the Manning version of MNF last night, I can't stand listening to him.
Mcafee is more of the typical yinzer fan. Loud and bombastic. But he has some of the funniest stories I have ever heard. His story about Polamalu preventing him from getting a touchdown is one of the funniest I have ever heard.

Aaron Rodgers mostly goes on his show because AJ Hawk is one of Pat’s co host. More or less Pat and AJ really are not going to put his feet to the fire like everyone else is going to do. His show is more set up as a Midwest version of Colin Cowherd show. It’s more of a “we talk sports but not in a serious manner” type deal.

As for Gameday…. I think they are really angling him to replace Corso. Pat is well liked nationally and his appearances drive ratings. I have long suspected that the only reason Corso has continued on is because there was no real replacement for that type of character. It was thought at one time that Finebaum or Spears were potentially going to be it, but right now Mcafee seems like the most obvious pick with his popularity and name recognition. What is pretty much confirmed is that his appearances aren’t one offs and he is legitimately part of the show.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Mcafee is more of the typical yinzer fan. Loud and bombastic. But he has some of the funniest stories I have ever heard. His story about Polamalu preventing him from getting a touchdown is one of the funniest I have ever heard.

Aaron Rodgers mostly goes on his show because AJ Hawk is one of Pat’s co host. More or less Pat and AJ really are not going to put his feet to the fire like everyone else is going to do. His show is more set up as a Midwest version of Colin Cowherd show. It’s more of a “we talk sports but not in a serious manner” type deal.

As for Gameday…. I think they are really angling him to replace Corso. Pat is well liked nationally and his appearances drive ratings. I have long suspected that the only reason Corso has continued on is because there was no real replacement for that type of character. It was thought at one time that Finebaum or Spears were potentially going to be it, but right now Mcafee seems like the most obvious pick with his popularity and name recognition. What is pretty much confirmed is that his appearances aren’t one offs and he is legitimately part of the show.
I guess he's just not my flavor of ice cream.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I guess he's just not my flavor of ice cream.
personally I don’t watch Gameday anymore unless Alabama is on it. I think Corso has gotten so distracting and the segments are not anywhere what they used to be to drive my interest. I think losing Woj and Rinaldi has hurt the product immensely. Also elevating Falica and Pollack has backfired on them. Then most of the guest pickers are “who?” even for most fans and they don’t drive the same interests that used to. It’s just a Saturday morning tradition that may have overstayed its welcome

Mcafee is hit or miss with me. Sometimes he is funny but other times I find him as the typical annoying mid Atlantic pro shock jock. But from a business perspective it makes perfect sense for ESPN. Yeah it maybe draining for Southern ears, but nationally the guy is well liked.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I really don't think AU fans should even mention bad luck after the luck they had against Mizzou. ;)
That was the east basement dweller. If we needed luck to escape them, imagine what's coming when we play SEC teams with a pulse.

LSU next, then you'll get to watch a murder live on network TV as it happens the next game against UGA lol.

• Wow
Reactions: crimsonaudio

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Mcafee is more of the typical yinzer fan. Loud and bombastic…..

As for Gameday…. I think they are really angling him to replace Corso. Pat is well liked nationally and his appearances drive ratings.
I have long suspected that the only reason Corso has continued on is because there was no real replacement for that type of character. It was thought at one time that Finebaum or Spears were potentially going to be it, but right now Mcafee seems like the most obvious pick with his popularity and name recognition. What is pretty much confirmed is that his appearances aren’t one offs and he is legitimately part of the show.
I agree on the replacement for Corso, but always hoped it would be Pollack. No, he’s not the character that Corso is, but he’s rational, knowledgeable, and informative. I learn from him.

As for McAfee, he may drive ratings, but he also alienates a significant portion of the viewership, a small part of which is me and Mrs. Basket Case. We decided not to watch again until he’s gone. It’ll be interesting how ESPN evaluates that balance.

Same here. I had heard of him but never really listened to him. After watching him I decided he is a total bozo.
You’re being charitable. I think he’s a bombastic ex-jock moron. The fact that he can make a massively lucrative living off of that persona is an indictment of society.

Reactions: teamplayer

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn
I agree on the replacement for Corso, but always hoped it would be Pollack. No, he’s not the character that Corso is, but he’s rational, knowledgeable, and informative. I learn from him.

As for McAfee, he may drive ratings, but he also alienates a significant portion of the viewership, a small part of which is me and Mrs. Basket Case. We decided not to watch again until he’s gone. It’ll be interesting how ESPN evaluates that balance.

You’re being charitable. I think he’s a bombastic ex-jock moron. The fact that he can make a massively lucrative living off of that persona is an indictment of society.
He's also part of the wrestling crowd so that tells you alot

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
…Pat is well liked nationally and his appearances drive ratings…What is pretty much confirmed is that his appearances aren’t one offs and he is legitimately part of the show.
I’m a marketing guy, but wouldn’t dare to argue with Disney’s marketers. I assume they’ve done their research. If this is so, I can only infer that people like 4QBC and me are not their target audience. Fine; you can’t please everyone. I can do something else in the 9am to 11am CT slot each Saturday…

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.