Did Harsin’s seat just get very hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
He's also part of the wrestling crowd so that tells you alot
everyone keeps saying that but that is relatively a new thing. Yes he has a long line of appearances here and there, but until really recently the WWE crowd didn’t really know who Mcafee was unless they watched ESPN or listened to Sirius for the past 6-7 years. Until he took that announcer spot last year (which he doesn’t hold anymore) his involvement in wrestling was kinda like Gronk’s involvement in WWE. He basically got into as many mediums that wanted him.
I agree on the replacement for Corso, but always hoped it would be Pollack. No, he’s not the character that Corso is, but he’s rational, knowledgeable, and informative. I learn from him.

As for McAfee, he may drive ratings, but he also alienates a significant portion of the viewership, a small part of which is me and Mrs. Basket Case. We decided not to watch again until he’s gone. It’ll be interesting how ESPN evaluates that balance.

You’re being charitable. I think he’s a bombastic ex-jock moron. The fact that he can make a massively lucrative living off of that persona is an indictment of society.
Mcafee was a NFL punter that is mostly remembered for losing West Virginia a chance to play for a national championship in 2007. The fact that he became this big this fast is nothing short of impressive. Like him or hate him the guy had a lot going against him but he found a way. I mean would you really think a punter that very few people knew outside of Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, and Morgantown would become one of the biggest sports analysts in America in a matter of 6 years?

As far as balance… I think it’s more likely that this board is probably in the minority viewpoint on this than the majority. Gameday has really suffered with the steep decline of Corso, and the loss of its best writers. They have tried new things such as involving Fallica more, going to bizarre locations, and finding crazy guest pickers. I mean seriously… how many of y’all were really thrilled to see the jerk from the new Top Gun movie when they were in Texas or that guy they chose for Ohio St? They have really been scraping the bottom of the barrel for years. So they had to try something, and it’s obvious that they went after the most popular name they could find.

This board may hate Mcafee, but this board also hates Finebaum, Cowherd, and Bayless. But who are the ones driving ratings? Finebaum or Jim Dunaway? So it’s more likely a long term solution.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Final note: when they bring out to the food to the set, he chews with his mouth open. Everything about his on-air persona is like fingernails on chalkboard to me…
He was the nail in the coffin for my watching on Sat AMs. It's been in decline for some time now - seems to be targeting the casual fan rather than the CFB fanatic. Probably a smart move by their marketing, but it just feels vapid now.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I had wondered who the new clown on Gameday was. They never said his name while I was watching, which, admittedly was limited. I finally found out who he was on MNF. I'd heard the name but didn't know anything about him. I can't help but wonder when a self tanner company will grab he and Herbstreit to be spokesmen and roll out an ESPN tried, McAfee and Herbie approved product line.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
He was the nail in the coffin for my watching on Sat AMs. It's been in decline for some time now - seems to be targeting the casual fan rather than the CFB fanatic. Probably a smart move by their marketing, but it just feels vapid now.
Yep, I've come to the conclusion that I'm not the customer they are trying to reach.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Here's how much I love Gameday.

I had no idea McAfee was on the show now until perusing through this thread. I haven't watched in a very long time. They were one of the greatest parts of the entertainment portion of my childhood in the 90s.

They started going downhill in the early 2000s. There are far better things to do on Saturday mornings until the game comes on. I don't even have it playing as "background noise."

Are you wondering if I just stopped by to knock College Gameday? Yes. Yes I did.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

I had no idea McAfee was on the show now until perusing through this thread. I haven't watched in a very long time. They were one of the greatest parts of the entertainment portion of my childhood in the 90s.

They started going downhill in the early 2000s. There are far better things to do on Saturday mornings until the game comes on. I don't even have it playing as "background noise."

Are you wondering if I just stopped by to knock College Gameday? Yes. Yes I did.
It started off as a decent show, then it was a signal to the importance of a game, and then it was a Jammed pack college football show. But the ESPN layoffs and the over saturation on the SECN has pretty much killed any good stuff that it had going for it. Now it’s just “we are wheeling Corso out there and hoping he doesn’t say something totally insane”. Mcafee is basically an attempt to save the show.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I understand the old "you can't show the same thing over and over" (that doesn't explain how "Meet The Press" has been on since 1947 but whatever).

CGD started out really fun, it was a sign "this is the biggest game in town that we're allowed to cover" happening this weekend - and yes, Fox getting into the football business with their Typhoid Mary approach to everything cut down a tad bit on their big venue every so often. And they deserve credit for going to places like Bison Land and Boone, NC a couple of weeks ago.

But - and I don't mean to be age-ist here - Lee Corso has been in that job six or seven years too long. Go back and look at some of the older stuff and he has verve and vibe and he's really into it. I understand he had a stroke awhile back - but TV is a visual medium, and AT BEST he'd be served by, oh, maybe a two-minute Zoom call in every week if you HAVE to use him.

What got me out of the habit was the two years I got tickets for the whole season and had no choice but to miss it because I was en route to our game. I'd still DVR it, but by Monday morning, it has lost the cache, so I'd go through and see if there were any interesting stories. (Note: I know he's elsewhere now, but if Tom Rinaldi shows up to do a story on you, it's BECAUSE YOU ARE DEAD!!!!).

I have nothing wrong with a "feel good" or "inspirational" story (Adam Griffith was a good one, Sal Aunese's kid playing for Miles at LSU was good, Chucky Mullins's tragic paralysis) - but once it's as predictable as Auburn's always high drama head coaching searches that end with a thud every time, it loses some of its impact. And with a game that now has a 150-year history, do an actual segment on something important BESIDES (and this is important) segregation in the South in the 60s. This week should be a segment on "One Rises, One Falls: 48 Hours That Started One Dynasty and Ended Another".

(For those who don't know what I'm talking about, over a 48-hour period the last weekend of September 2008: a) USC lost to Oregon St, b) Florida lost to Ole Miss and Tebow gave his speech; c) we boat raced UGA in the infamous blackout game). That network makes specious connections by the truckload - but they haven't looked at the 48 hours that pivoted the history of CFB. USC sank, Tebow became a legend, Alabama entered the national picture and has yet to leave. And Georgia, thought to be on the precipice of national attention, regressed for the better part of a decade.

You HAVE to connect with the not-so-distant past, the present, AND the future to cover the spectrum. Also - and I like Reece Davis - but he doesn't have the comfort level of a Fowler at that desk. He's good, but he always looks like an actor reading his lines to manage the show while Fowler had a better flow to what he was doing.

Hell, do a piece on that dreaded (mostly a mythical excuse) illness known as "the Bama fatigue," which exists among FANS but not among TV executives or the CFP selection committee. Have celebrity after local moron saying "I hate them, I wish they'd lose every week" and Tide fans with accents saying about how "da Bama fateeg is weal" and PUTTING IT IN CONTEXT. I mean, if you're so into the young folks and Internet - why not cover one of the most hackneyed topics that has been out there for 7 years now? Have a TV executive talk about how generally speaking, Alabama being in the game is a draw (just like Ohio St). Have that bozo say, "Fans say they want different teams, but how many college football fans do you really think would watch a Wisconsin-TCU title game on Monday night?"

There's still a lot of potential there - but I've watched only a snippet here and there for the last seven seasons, too.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017

Stopped watching Game Day a long time ago. It is apparently aimed at 20 somethings. Went to SEC gameday, or whatever it is called, until Laura Rutledge came along with spike heels, short skirts and show pony hairdos and I just stopped. I am not 20 something and having a super model wannabe on the show doesn't interest me at all. In fact I resent it!

Reactions: We_are_Bama

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Stopped watching Game Day a long time ago. It is apparently aimed at 20 somethings. Went to SEC gameday, or whatever it is called, until Laura Rutledge came along with spike heels, short skirts and show pony hairdos and I just stopped. I am not 20 something and having a super model wannabe on the show doesn't interest me at all. In fact I resent it!
I’ve been to 3 of them. 1 willingly (2013 LSU), one because it was on my friend’s bucket list (2015 LSU), and 1 because I had to go through it to get to the stadium (Texas). It’s really not what everyone hypes It up as being there. You are basically watching a show while being jammed into an area like a sardine. The sets are not near as big as they look on tv.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
Man, some of y'all need to lighten up re: McAfee LOL

Yes, he is over the top but the guy knows just as much about football as anybody on set (and most anybody on here). I have yet to see him propose ridiculous disingenuous ideas (paging Desmond Howard), just his method of delivery is wild. But his shtick is entertainment and should be taken as such. Old guys in suits meekly discussing sports just doesn't sell anymore.

But even McAfee never goes as far Lou Holtz did and I remember some of y'all talking about how much you loved him on CFB Final. Seems some have just graduated to the old codger phase of TV viewership... ;)

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
This is silly too. Laura Rutledge is very professional/knowledgeable and seems to me to take her job very seriously.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
...Seems some have just graduated to the old codger phase of TV viewership... ;)
Never graduate. Just become better educated.

I'm so far beyond - or behind - the cultural touchstone in question, I thought this flapdoodle about the hillbilly sports shock jock was referring to Pat McInally who some of the old codger phase folk might remember as an all-pro punter and WR for the Bengals out of Harvard, and of unquestionable high character. All I know about the other guy is he must be in need of paleface company or a WWE following to have as his sidekick AJ "The Great White Hoax" Hawk, the greatest dragged-downfield "tackler" in NFL history, whose "gymnastics" on his back or belly would be a natural fit for the scripted squared circle...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Man, some of y'all need to lighten up re: McAfee LOL

Yes, he is over the top but the guy knows just as much about football as anybody on set (and most anybody on here). I have yet to see him propose ridiculous disingenuous ideas (paging Desmond Howard), just his method of delivery is wild. But his shtick is entertainment and should be taken as such. Old guys in suits meekly discussing sports just doesn't sell anymore.

But even McAfee never goes as far Lou Holtz did and I remember some of y'all talking about how much you loved him on CFB Final. Seems some have just graduated to the old codger phase of TV viewership... ;)
There are people interested in football and those simply interested in entertainment. CGD's audience is those interested in entertainment, muck akin to the people who go to Superbowl parties and never even look at the tv while the game is going on, but are glued to it to see the commercials. These are the type of fans CGD is catering to. Which is fine, I just won't watch.

If Pat Mcafee knows a lot of football I would never know it because the two times I've watched him on a national football platform his schtick gets in the way of any football knowledge he is trying to convey. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: teamplayer and UAH
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.