Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

How to watch the Democratic debate Tuesday

• Date: Tuesday, October 15, 2019
  • Time: 8 to 11 p.m. ET
  • TV Channel: CNN, CNN en Español and CNN International
  • Online stream: Watch CNN on fuboTV (free trial offer)
[HR][/HR]

Which candidates qualified for the debate?

Here are the 12 candidates who have qualified to appear at tonight's debate.

1. Joe Biden, former vice president
  2. Cory Booker, New Jersey senator
  3. Pete Buttigieg, mayor of South Bend, Indiana
  4. Julián Castro, former Housing and Urban Development Secretary
  5. Kamala Harris, California senator
  6. Amy Klobuchar, Minnesota senator
  7. Beto O'Rourke, former Texas congressman
  8. Bernie Sanders, Vermont senator
  9. Tom Steyer, businessman
  10. Elizabeth Warren, Massachusetts senator
  11. Andrew Yang, entrepreneur
  12. Tulsi Gabbard, Hawaii congresswoman

The three moderators for the debate all cover national politics in different capacities and will be central to steering the conversation on a very crowded stage:

• Anderson Cooper anchors Anderson Cooper 360, a daily CNN news program.
  • Erin Burnett anchors Erin Burnett OutFront, a daily CNN news program.
  • Marc Lacey is the National editor at the Times, overseeing the paper’s correspondents across the country.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
As some candidates prepare for a debate on Tuesday, those who won’t be on the stage voice objections about rules set by the Democratic National Committee to winnow the field.

The only Ohio Democratic presidential candidate won’t be part of the only Ohio Democratic presidential debate on Tuesday.

So, sure, Tim Ryan is upset.
“The race is literally just starting, so I think it’s unfortunate that everybody’s not getting up there to talk about important issues,” the Youngstown-area congressman said.
Sour grapes or not, he is not the first to voice objections about rules set by the Democratic National Committee to winnow the field of more than 20 candidates. Party leaders approved gradually increasing thresholds based on poll results from national and early voting states, as well as the number of “grass-roots” donors.

Columbus Dispatch article: CLICK

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
This will be the first debate I have seen. I wish they had two debates of six each.

As for those who didn’t make it, sucks to be you. If you can’t crack the top tier in public support, don’t try to make things even more crowded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
First question is about impeachment. They all support it and spout expected talking points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
My take.

This was the best debate so far. The field needs to be cut in half at least. Elizabeth Warren was the target tonight. She still refuses to give a direct answer on how she will fund Medicare for all. Buttigieg and Klobuchar called her out on it. Buttigieg had a good night overall. He was more aggressive than in the past and won mini debates with Warren, Gabbard, and Beto. Kamala Harris went after Warren and fell flat. Joe Biden had his best night.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
My take.

This was the best debate so far. The field needs to be cut in half at least. Elizabeth Warren was the target tonight. She still refuses to give a direct answer on how she will fund Medicare for all. Buttigieg and Klobuchar called her out on it. Buttigieg had a good night overall. He was more aggressive than in the past and won mini debates with Warren, Gabbard, and Beto. Kamala Harris went after Warren and fell flat. Joe Biden had his best night.
Yeah, that's pretty much my take as well.

Warren was everyone's target, almost to a comic degree. She did okay, but definitely lost some exchanges and her continued evasiveness on taxes looked bad to me. Buttigieg had the best night. He was much more assertive without being an ass like Castro circa September 2019. The "in the industrial midwest" schtick got a little old after a few hours, but he drew clear contrasts on pragmatism while bloodying up Warren and Beto, and he probably ended Tulsi's campaign over her Syria response. Booker also had a really good night, although I feel like he always does really well in these and it never moves the needle for him. Klobachar did alright. Harris looked bad and spent a lot of time pushing Warren on a dumb subject that made Harris look desperate. Sanders was the same old Sanders and had a predictably strong debate. I mostly forgot that Castro, Gabbard, Yang, and Steyer were on the stage. Biden really benefited from everyone targeting Warren instead of him, but he started mixing up his words and stammering again toward the end of the debate.

Last edited:

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Yeah, that's pretty much my take as well.

Warren was everyone's target, almost to a comic degree. She did okay, but definitely lost some exchanges and her continued evasiveness on taxes looked bad to me. Buttigieg had the best night. He was much more assertive without being an ass like Castro circa September 2019. The "in the industrial midwest" schtick got a little old after a few hours, but he drew clear contrasts on pragmatism while bloodying up Warren and Beto, and he probably ended Tulsi's campaign over her Syria response. Booker also had a really good night, although I feel like he always does really well in these and it never moves the needle for him. Klobachar did alright. Harris looked bad and spent a lot of time pushing Warren on a dumb subject that made Harris look desperate. Sanders was the same old Sanders and had a predictably strong debate. I mostly forgot that Castro, Gabbard, Yang, and Steyer were on the stage. Biden really benefited from everyone targeting Warren instead of him, but he started mixing up his words and stammering again toward the end of the debate.
I also occurred to me if Biden gets the nomination he may chose Buttigieg for a running mate if Pete does well in the primaries. I’m anxious for Iowa to cull some of the deadwood that’s hopelessly campaigning.

I have no idea who Buttigieg would choose for a running mate.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Thanks for everyone's responses so far.

I ended up watching Part 7 of Saturday's in the South on SECN - which was excellent, as the whole series has been so far. During commercials I flipped over to the debate though, and then watched some of the last 1/2 hour and some of the post-debate commentaries.

I know Harris has moved up to front runner, but aside from her preachy personality - I'm not sure that tax the wealthy plan is a good approach. And I wish Harris would stop with the "when I was a prosecutor in California" stuff. We know that so please can we move on?

Some of the pundits are saying several topics were not discussed like Immigration, China, the deficit, and one other topic I can't remember right now.

I didn't watch it so appreciate your postings here. :)

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Some of the pundits are saying several topics were not discussed like Immigration, China, the deficit, and one other topic I can't remember right now.
That would be climate change.

But they'd all just agree with each other, so it seems like a silly topic for the primary.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
She still refuses to give a direct answer on how she will fund Medicare for all. - I'm not sure that tax the wealthy plan is a good approach.
I'd be all for going back to the tax rates of 1970-1980s adjusted for inflation if the money was just used correctly.
Federal - 1980 Married Filing Jointly Tax Brackets
Tax Bracket Tax Rate
$0.00+ 0%
$3,400.00+ 14%
$5,500.00+ 16%
$7,600.00+ 18%
$11,900.00+ 21%
$16,000.00+ 24%
$20,200.00+ 28%
$24,600.00+ 32%
$29,900.00+ 37%
$35,200.00+ 43%
$45,800.00+ 49%
$60,000.00+ 54%
$85,600.00+ 59%
$109,400.00+ 64%
$162,400.00+ 68%
$215,400.00+ 70%

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Mobile, Alabama, United States
I'd be all for going back to the tax rates of 1970-1980s adjusted for inflation if the money was just used correctly.
Federal - 1980 Married Filing Jointly Tax Brackets
Tax Bracket Tax Rate
$0.00+ 0%
$3,400.00+ 14%
$5,500.00+ 16%
$7,600.00+ 18%
$11,900.00+ 21%
$16,000.00+ 24%
$20,200.00+ 28%
$24,600.00+ 32%
$29,900.00+ 37%
$35,200.00+ 43%
$45,800.00+ 49%
$60,000.00+ 54%
$85,600.00+ 59%
$109,400.00+ 64%
$162,400.00+ 68%
$215,400.00+ 70%
Ouch!! Not me. Once we factor in current healthcare costs - you can add 10-15% to each of those coming out of our checks.
This would strangle the middle class.

And I dont trust either party to use money correctly.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bama 8Ball

1st Team
Oct 10, 2018
Too Far North

From CNN.com...
A Republican ranks the debaters

By Alice Stewart
1. Elizabeth Warren
2.Joe Biden
3.Amy Klobuchar
4.Bernie Sanders
5. Pete Buttigieg
6. Tulsi Gabbard
7. Kamala Harris

A Democrat ranks the debaters

By Joe Lockhart
1. Amy Klobuchar
2. Pete Buttigieg
3.Cory Booker
4.Bernie Sanders
5. Joe Biden
6. Kamala Harris
7.Elizabeth Warren

Interesting to see both "sides" see Warren's performance completely differently. I couldn't find if this is based solely on performance or points made during the debate....

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.