DNC debates - July 30, 31, 2019 - Schedule info and discussion thread

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I'm like most everybody else...I'll be glad when the clutter is gone and we are down to viable candidates.

Some of this clutter really get to me. In my opinion, this is a pivotal election for our country and democracy in general. This is not the time for vanity campaigns, this is an all hands on deck moment. We've got several ex-Governors running for President when they have no shot...when they would actually have a good chance at winning a seat in the Senate.

Beto proved he's surprisingly popular in Texas, but now running for Senate again doesn't satisfy him. He wants to be President. He talks a good game but he needs maturity, the Senate would be the perfect place to try to develop it.

I try to follow politics fairly closely, but I have no idea why or how Ms. Williamson got on stage here.

Warren continues to impress me. She's got a fighter's spirit, and in my opinion is the smartest candidate running. Her experience teaching helps her explain her positions very clearly without coming across as condescending. I've read that she is a highly skilled debater and she sure slapped a few fools around last night. I think she could provoke an extraordinary meltdown if she winds up debating the orange dotard.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I recorded the debate and started watching at nine o’cloCk. The moderators were horrible. They were enforcing the rules with no regard to the point the candidate was trying to make. After two hours I’d had enough.

I just don’t see how the country can afford Medicare for all, wipe out student loans, health care for immigrants, and $500 billion for a “debt owed.” These policies will move “on the fence” voters to vote again for Trump IMO.

I really hope Pete Buttigieg gets the veep nomination. He strikes me as a guy who has thoroughly studied the issues and he’s smart enough to come up with solutions. I’ve started contributing to his campaign.
We cant! We cant even afford what we are doing now much less take on new large expenditures.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'm like most everybody else...I'll be glad when the clutter is gone and we are down to viable candidates.
I wouldn't assume that's what's gonna happen........

Some of this clutter really get to me. In my opinion, this is a pivotal election for our country and democracy in general. This is not the time for vanity campaigns, this is an all hands on deck moment. We've got several ex-Governors running for President when they have no shot...when they would actually have a good chance at winning a seat in the Senate.
They've all made the assessment that they don't want to be Mario Cuomo or Bill Bradley 1992 and pass up the chance.

Trump has no chance something something so this is the best chance some of them will ever have.

You don't let go of that desire easily.

Beto proved he's surprisingly popular in Texas, but now running for Senate again doesn't satisfy him. He wants to be President. He talks a good game but he needs maturity, the Senate would be the perfect place to try to develop it.
Uh, no.

Too many of you folks outside this state are confusing:
a) people hating Ted Cruz

with
b) people wanting Beto O'Rourke in the Senate

He'll lose again if he runs unless someone can dig up some Roy Moore type stuff.

I try to follow politics fairly closely, but I have no idea why or how Ms. Williamson got on stage here.
It's because every election has at least one "what the hell" candidate (this one has more just as did the GOP in 2016 or the Dems in 2008).

Warren continues to impress me. She's got a fighter's spirit, and in my opinion is the smartest candidate running. Her experience teaching helps her explain her positions very clearly without coming across as condescending. I've read that she is a highly skilled debater and she sure slapped a few fools around last night.
Don't confuse the cheering of a partisan audience with how things look to everyone else.

I think she could provoke an extraordinary meltdown if she winds up debating the orange dotard.
This is a pipe dream.

She calls him a liar, he's going to say the equivalent of, "I'm not the one who lied for 20 years pretending to be a Native American, Pocahontas."

Besides, Hillary got him to come unglued on the pageant contestant last time and STILL lost.
Winning a debate doesn't mean hardly anything - even if it makes folks who hate a particular candidate "feel good" for a few minutes.

I've not seen all of the candidates yet, but I've caught several videos on Twitter.

The best candidate is the one you can watch with the SOUND OFF and simply observe HOW they say it.

Of the candidates I've seen, Mayor Pete and Kamala have been the best, Sanders has been one of the worst, and Warren is sometimes good and sometimes not so good.
Klobuchar, whom I've kind of liked, is just plain awful that way (which is part of why she's not doing well).

The Democrats didn't ask for my advice, but it's no secret:
1) 270
2) candidate that can carry Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Virginia, Florida, Ohio, North Carolina (at least most of them)

I'm not convinced (yet) Warren can do that.

I'm convinced Sanders absolutely cannot.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
1) 270
2) candidate that can carry Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Virginia, Florida, Ohio, North Carolina (at least most of them)

The above is why I started digging into the student loan debt forgiveness. Promising one (medicare for all) massive overhaul to the socioeconomic system and absorbing a lot of that cost through the federal government is difficult enough. Promising two (medicare and debt forgiveness) I am not sure will fly with even left leaning democrats. Now they may be counting on the fact that there are so many anti-Trump democrats and independents out there that they can get away with promising everything with no real plan to pay for it (I know they said they plan on raising taxes, but reality will have to come into play sometime). I forget who said it last night, but they worked for a long time just to get Romneycare, I mean Obama care and that took both houses and the Oval Office. The likelihood you ever get enough votes out of both houses to do either medicare for all or debt forgiveness is near enough to zero to be zero. The insurance, pharmaceutical, and financial lobbyists will never allow their pets to vote for any of those.

I really want to like Warren, but I think she will be painted as someone who wants to rob from the deserving to pay for the undeserving (immigrant medicare, medicare for all, lazy millennials) and I just think she can't hit 270. Now this is also all happening during primary season. Once they get past primary season, maybe she will become less like Oprah and more like the hawkish anti-corporate crusader that led the CFPB.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I wouldn't assume that's what's gonna happen........

They've all made the assessment that they don't want to be Mario Cuomo or Bill Bradley 1992 and pass up the chance.

Trump has no chance something something so this is the best chance some of them will ever have.

You don't let go of that desire easily.

Uh, no.

Too many of you folks outside this state are confusing:
a) people hating Ted Cruz

with
b) people wanting Beto O'Rourke in the Senate

He'll lose again if he runs unless someone can dig up some Roy Moore type stuff.

It's because every election has at least one "what the hell" candidate (this one has more just as did the GOP in 2016 or the Dems in 2008).

Don't confuse the cheering of a partisan audience with how things look to everyone else.

This is a pipe dream.

She calls him a liar, he's going to say the equivalent of, "I'm not the one who lied for 20 years pretending to be a Native American, Pocahontas."

Besides, Hillary got him to come unglued on the pageant contestant last time and STILL lost.
Winning a debate doesn't mean hardly anything - even if it makes folks who hate a particular candidate "feel good" for a few minutes.

I've not seen all of the candidates yet, but I've caught several videos on Twitter.

The best candidate is the one you can watch with the SOUND OFF and simply observe HOW they say it.

Of the candidates I've seen, Mayor Pete and Kamala have been the best, Sanders has been one of the worst, and Warren is sometimes good and sometimes not so good.
Klobuchar, whom I've kind of liked, is just plain awful that way (which is part of why she's not doing well).

1) 270

I always enjoy the way your give your opinion as if it were fact.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
This debate format with this many candidates is ridiculous. Cross talking, hand raising, butting in, the mods calling them down sucks. After two debates, if a candidate cannot reach at least 5%, he/she should be dropped. I lost interest after the first 45 minutes and may watch only the first 30-45 minutes tonight. Everybody knows what the top candidates stand for and what they have to offer, the remaining 12-15 should go home and write a book.

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
**** warning...satire ahead...you know....humour****

Friend of mine was complaining about the participants only having 60 seconds to make their point.

I said in some cases they seem to be wasting it on speeches.

Since these are all Democrats.....the following points are already a given -

1. Trump is incompetent
2. Anyone can do a better job than Trump
3. Our country is divided
4. The economy is awful
5. Trump is racist
6. We are at a crossroads
7. Our health care system is terrible and too expensive
8. Trump is an idiot
9. We are on the verge of war with (x) countries
10. We cannot sustain the current national debt
11. Trump is a misogynist
12. We need to give reparations for ancestors of slaves
13. Corporations need to pay their fair share
14. We are a disgrace in the global community because of Trump
15. Insurance companies are ripping off the American people
16. We need more jobs
17. We are a nation of immigrants
18. The people in Flint deserve clean water
19. Trump and Putin are too friendly
20. People aren't being paid enough in this country

Yes....I know there are many many more. ;)

Spend your 60 seconds wisely folks.....tell us something we don't already know! :D

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
This debate format with this many candidates is ridiculous. Cross talking, hand raising, butting in, the mods calling them down sucks. After two debates, if a candidate cannot reach at least 5%, he/she should be dropped. I lost interest after the first 45 minutes and may watch only the first 30-45 minutes tonight. Everybody knows what the top candidates stand for and what they have to offer the remaining 12-15 should go home and write a book.
I must admit that, until it narrows down, I watch the reruns...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I love how every tweet I see praising John Delaney are from the usual suspects of conservatism online. Dude might as well have the healthcare insurance industry's hand shoved up his ass to play him like a sock puppet. He's polling at margin of error but will probably stick around well into 2020 because the healthcare industry is bankrolling his campaign.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
More (unsolicited) advice.....

If you can't mouth ALL the words to the National Anthem....don't even try.

Just put your hand over your heart.....keep your mouth and eyes shut...tilt your head back slightly.....and when it's over smile and clap.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.