Do they still call holding? (Michigan/ Alabama)

Guido

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2017
What is the infamous stat we are near the top almost every year, it's the least penalties called on defenses against our offense. a couple of years we were 128 out of 128 among top schools. how could this be? Somebody look it up for this year, i tried but could not find it. it's on the official ncaa website

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Bama has had so much success for so long it appears the officials have decided to allow opponents to hold Bama players just to make it fair in their eyes.

Last edited:

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
It is VERY frustrating. Similar to 2ndry play nowadays. I remember when a DB could bump at the LOS but after that couldnt hold on to the WR. Somebody said it earlier...."How else can we get the 64 to 62 games?" That has become expected. But we keep watching the game as it gets worse. The NCAA is aware . Holding has become a non-call in most games. I think it hurt the integrity of the game as refs ignore it..but the game persists as fans pay to watch TDs. Seems like it needs to be refined or basically taken off the book. Imagine if DL could wear "tear off" jersies like back in the 70s?? You would need an 18 wheeler just for your Defensive players to have jersies to wear during play.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I didn’t need those pictures to be convinced. Honestly, I don't know why I still get frustrated by the holding against our defense. It's been going on like this for years. Opposing coaches have to see it in the film and then coach their players to hold since it won't be called.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Sometimes this is a true Zapruder film exercise of overanalysis. A still shot can’t reliably tell you a hold was happening. The camera may have caught the split second where the grasp happened before the blocker released. Officials almost never call holding on brief grasps even if they have a material difference on the defender’s pursuit.

Some of these are really bad. Specifically, there was at least one instance of illegal hands to the face. Not holding but a significant technical penalty.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Careful, you'll get FortWayneBuffalo riled up posting about how still pictures don't really show what's going on. Or you just don't understand the rules. Or something that backs the infallible refs.

No blue font needed.
Sometimes this is a true Zapruder film exercise of overanalysis. A still shot can’t reliably tell you a hold was happening. The camera may have caught the split second where the grasp happened before the blocker released. Officials almost never call holding on brief grasps even if they have a material difference on the defender’s pursuit.
@crimsonaudio Nailed it...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I mean, I agree that it looked bad live so the fact there were still shots of it also looking bad is not surprising. I just want to caution against putting a ton of weight in still shots for determining holding. This is the dumb crap that LSU tinfoil hat types do with us and I say the same thing when they start their powerpoint presentation on The Existential Threat of Uncalled Bama Holding.

I’m about consistency. So I am going to caution my own fellow fans with the same thoughts. Some of these look bad but you need to see these things live to know the truth. There are some that it appears to be unlikely that was anything other than holding or another form of infraction.

Reactions: IndyBison

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
I don't need still shots to see the blatantly obvious holding calls that were not called. It is just ridiculous. It has come to the point over the years, that I am wildly surprised when even a blatant one is called. I assume we complain about it. I am not sure why something isn't done to correct it.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
To me, this game had more un-called holding penalties than most I've seen. I swear I saw Mich's number 75 hold 6 or 7 times without it being called.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.