Do they still call holding? (Michigan/ Alabama)

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Hmmmmmmm. Maybe that's why Coach Saban let the team SCORE with less than 30 seconds left.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
B1GTide, did they do this against tOSU?
This is common throughout the B1G - they did it to us and we did it to them. If the officials don't call it and you don't use that to your advantage, you are helping your opponent.

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013
I mean, I agree that it looked bad live so the fact there were still shots of it also looking bad is not surprising. I just want to caution against putting a ton of weight in still shots for determining holding. This is the dumb crap that LSU tinfoil hat types do with us and I say the same thing when they start their powerpoint presentation on The Existential Threat of Uncalled Bama Holding.

I’m about consistency. So I am going to caution my own fellow fans with the same thoughts. Some of these look bad but you need to see these things live to know the truth. There are some that it appears to be unlikely that was anything other than holding or another form of infraction.
I agree. These all show a potential for holding but you would need to look at the live action to determine if it was material restriction at the point of attack.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I agree. These all show a potential for holding but you would need to look at the live action to determine if it was material restriction at the point of attack.
Photos 7 and 8 aren’t holding. It was tackling 99 (Davis) to the ground and doing everything but undressing him. It also allowed the back to rip off about a 20+ yard gain.

Dude....the running back is directly to 99’s left. The o-lineman grabs him in photo 7 and wraps him up around the waist & to the ground in photo 8.

Must be that deceiving angle.....

And shame on 47 (Young) for targeting in photo 18. He shoved his face mask directly into that Michigan o-lineman’s hand.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TIDE-HSV

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Photos 7 and 8 aren’t holding. It was tackling 99 (Davis) to the ground and doing everything but undressing him. It also allowed the back to rip off about a 20+’ gain.
You are wasting your time

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Well, I’ll sound like one but that doesn’t mean I am one. :D

Note, I do think many of these were holding and at least one was another infraction altogether besides holding but I don’t know these were holding by simply a still photo.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't have a problem with some of these - the ones where the blockers have a hand full of jersey but are keeping their arms tucked inside. That is the way they are taught to do it and it will almost never get called. But some of these are obvious holds, and whether or not they affected the play should not matter. If you tackle or hook a blocker, the flag should come out - even if it happens when the ball is 10 yards downfield.

Reactions: CB4

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I don't have a problem with some of these - the ones where the blockers have a hand full of jersey but are keeping their arms tucked inside. That is the way they are taught to do it and it will almost never get called. But some of these are obvious holds, and whether or not they affected the play should not matter. If you tackle or hook a blocker, the flag should come out - even if it happens when the ball is 10 yards downfield.
Reason I posted specifically about photos 7-8 was due to seeing it live. I saw several others during the course of the game but this one stood out to me as being so flagrant it MUST be call. If the official is following the ball carrier, there is NO WAY it should be missed.

Reactions: B1GTide

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Photos 7 and 8 aren’t holding. It was tackling 99 (Davis) to the ground and doing everything but undressing him. It also allowed the back to rip off about a 20+ yard gain.

Dude....the running back is directly to 99’s left. The o-lineman grabs him in photo 7 and wraps him up around the waist & to the ground in photo 8.

Must be that deceiving angle.....

And shame on 47 (Young) for targeting in photo 18. He shoved his face mask directly into that Michigan o-lineman’s hand.
A mere optical illusion...

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013
Reason I posted specifically about photos 7-8 was due to seeing it live. I saw several others during the course of the game but this one stood out to me as being so flagrant it MUST be call. If the official is following the ball carrier, there is NO WAY it should be missed.
If the official is following the ball carrier he doesn't see any blocks. For new officials that's a very common issue because we are so used to ball watching as a fan. They are focused on the blocks in front of the runner. So they would see this block but not because they are following the ball carrier. They are looking where he is going. And different officials are watching different blocks so only 1 or 2 would see a specific block most of the time.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
If the official is following the ball carrier he doesn't see any blocks. For new officials that's a very common issue because we are so used to ball watching as a fan. They are focused on the blocks in front of the runner. So they would see this block but not because they are following the ball carrier. They are looking where he is going. And different officials are watching different blocks so only 1 or 2 would see a specific block most of the time.
Go.........Away......

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
Trying to defend the indefensible again, I see?
And I'm not just talking in the Alabama games.
If you refs can't keep up then maybe put a couple more of you on the field.
But whatever y'all do, man up, grow a pair and admit your screw ups.

Reactions: CB4 and B1GTide

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The problem, which has existed now for years, is that no officials seem to ever see holding on any of the teams playing Bama. You haven't explained that statistical anomaly yet...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.