Do we actually keep all of our assistant coaches this year?

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012
Really hope we either revise some of our complex schemes for the guys or move a few guys out. Watching the DL against MI they rarely got to the QB and seemed to give up way to soon when they didn't have success. I understand true freshman having the issue of maybe lack of strength and technique but this was visible with Raekwon and Mathis as well.

ILB's still seem like they don't read the gap correctly when blitzing and just run directly behind a DL and get held up. Tackling across the board has digressed as well. I totally get young guys once again still learning technique but when guys like McKinney, Carter and Mayden are missing tackles after this long in the program its alerting.

Hoping the DB's continue to progress with Kelly back there but not sold on Scott as a position coach. Great recruiter for sure though. As many do, I trust in Saban's process and believe we will improve though. I realize he wants the continuity but fundamentals were just lacking across the board this year with some of the new staff members. Roll Tide!

Reactions: Bama Lee

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
I’m not smart enough to say definitively but something has to happen on the defensive side. Guys (though young) were still out of position even late in the year.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I’m not smart enough to say definitively but something has to happen on the defensive side. Guys (though young) were still out of position even late in the year.
Yes, there has to be change, but if Saban can make that happen with these same coaches, I am all for it. No matter where you land, I will support the coaches who you have, and I know that you guys will too.

Leeroy

All-SEC
Dec 27, 2005
I think all the coaches stay. That said, they need to step up their game a bit. But, in their defense, I think there is a few low football IQs on the defensive side of the ball. We’ve have discussed at length one such player who rarely makes the field because of this. So, not sure if coaching can fix all of it.

Reactions: jarhead and B1GTide

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I think all the coaches stay. That said, they need to step up their game a bit. But, in their defense, I think there is a few low football IQs on the defensive side of the ball. We’ve have discussed at length one such player who rarely makes the field because of this. So, not sure if coaching can fix all of it.
Sums up my feelings. I`d personally like to see what this staff can do with a D that isn`t absolutely decimated by injury before the season starts and riddled with NFL defections. Maybe that`s asking too much?

Reactions: Tenntiderman

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I'll say I hope that Sark stays for several more years as OC.

I've really been impressed with what he accomplished this year.

I know we have ridiculous talent but he did a great job at spreading the ball around. He got the ball to all 4 WR's, the TE's, and the RB's in the passing game.

He also fixed that problem from last year where we were too reliant on DEEP passes. He integrated more 'Ball Control' passing plays that functioned like runs to allow us to stay in rhythm picking up 1st downs and limiting short stalled drives and 3 and outs.

I think we have to credit him with some of Mac's success too. To lose Tua and the Offense almost not miss much of a beat at all is crazy impressive.

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012
With the possible news of Moorhead being released, does anyone thing their DC would be looked at by our staff for a position? Bob Shoop?

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
We need to keep some continuity with the coaches we have for at least a couple of years so I hope no one goes. Rodney Orr on Tider Insider TV mentioned there may be movement with two or three but I hope he is wrong.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I'd like for Saban to have more continuity and keep as many good coaches as he can. But, something needs to change on defense. I hope if anyone does leave, it is no more than 1 or 2 coaches.

With all the openings in the SEC and now the NFL, I wonder how many coaches on Bama's staff will get interest from other teams. The one coach I definitely hope stays for a long time is Sark, at least until Bryce Young graduates.

Reactions: tusks_n_raider

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I'll say I hope that Sark stays for several more years as OC.

I've really been impressed with what he accomplished this year.

I know we have ridiculous talent but he did a great job at spreading the ball around. He got the ball to all 4 WR's, the TE's, and the RB's in the passing game.

He also fixed that problem from last year where we were too reliant on DEEP passes. He integrated more 'Ball Control' passing plays that functioned like runs to allow us to stay in rhythm picking up 1st downs and limiting short stalled drives and 3 and outs.

I think we have to credit him with some of Mac's success too. To lose Tua and the Offense almost not miss much of a beat at all is crazy impressive.
I can't diagnose things live, but going back and re-watching some of the videos some experts have done, analyzing his offense, and I am thrilled with him as our OC. I hope he stays for a very long time.

And I hope I feel the same way about Golding after we win the NC next year.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
By the way, I just love how I've seen the Cowboys firing of Garrett being reported. "The Cowboys are moving on without Garrett."

LOL, dude was fired. Finally. Anyway, back to programming, I can't see any of our guys getting picked up by these NFL teams so there is that.

• Haha
Reactions: Con

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
By the way, I just love how I've seen the Cowboys firing of Garrett being reported. "The Cowboys are moving on without Garrett."

LOL, dude was fired. Finally. Anyway, back to programming, I can't see any of our guys getting picked up by these NFL teams so there is that.
To be fair, this was probably the toughest business decision that Jones has had to make in decades. He literally loves the man that he just fired. They will remain close for the rest of their lives. It is different than most NFL coaching changes.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
To be fair, this was probably the toughest business decision that Jones has had to make in decades. He literally loves the man that he just fired. They will remain close for the rest of their lives. It is different than most NFL coaching changes.
I'm sure it is, and I hate that part. Still, seeing the "unbiased" media report it this way is silly, IMO.

Reactions: B1GTide

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
Sums up my feelings. I`d personally like to see what this staff can do with a D that isn`t absolutely decimated by injury before the season starts and riddled with NFL defections. Maybe that`s asking too much?
There were things on our Defense this year by upperclassmen that I haven't seen (ever )at Bama. Not sure if it was because of fear of injury, practice regimen, or what. Just a lack of urgency. Saw it against Michigan. All these things are lack of coaching IMO. Saw it last year. But you are spot on. Be great to watch a fully healthy group out there. And you are correct about the NFL. Kiper does College ball zero favors IMO.
But life teaches us along the way. Hopefully Golding will be tougher on HIS assistants next year IF.......he returns as DC.

Reactions: B1GTide

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Someone on the other boards said he thinks Golding leaves, Bo Davis and Tosh return, and they are trying to get Derrik Ansley as DC.

This sounds good, if true. Guess Saban won't do much until after the next signing day though?

Reactions: bamabelle1991

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.