Question: Do we stand a chance with Arch Manning?

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
The two schools I would rule out now are Alabama and Tennessee. I do agree that it looks like, for the time being, a two horse race, Clemson and Texas. In the SEC, I would not rule out Ole Miss and Florida. I agree with those who have said the Mannings have no love for Alabama.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Of course we`ll never know, but it would be interesting to be a fly on the wall as the Manning clan evaluates Arch`s options, which will simply be every school in the nation. How much of it will be subjective/emotion based ( " Alabama`s out because they`re....well....Alabama ") and how much objectively based ( " Who has a proven record of development and can best prepare him for the next level ? "). I`m not sure any of us know anything about what they think`s important as far as non-football life and academics are concerned.

Reactions: CraigD

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Of course we`ll never know, but it would be interesting to be a fly on the wall as the Manning clan evaluates Arch`s options, which will simply be every school in the nation. How much of it will be subjective/emotion based ( " Alabama`s out because they`re....well....Alabama ") and how much objectively based ( " Who has a proven record of development and can best prepare him for the next level ? "). I`m not sure any of us know anything about what they think`s important as far as non-football life and academics are concerned.
I came across his mother's resume. I bet academics will be very important to her.

Reactions: Con

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
In order, I would guess Arch will go as below:

1- LSWho
2- Ole Myth
3- Notre Dumb
4- 14er or 15ersee (whatever it will be)

Like Dan said, no chance to Bama.

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
In order, I would guess Arch will go as below:

1- LSWho
2- Ole Myth
3- Notre Dumb
4- 14er or 15ersee (whatever it will be)

Like Dan said, no chance to Bama.
Right now, I think:
1. Texas
2. Texas A&M
3. LSU

LSU moves to the top if they hire a good replacement for Coach O before he commits.

Reactions: CoolBreeze

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Bama has no chance because they don't want to see Arch being an ambassador for Bama for life. Bama would probably considered if it was just a means to get to the NFL. Bama QBs are much more than that.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Bama has no chance because they don't want to see Arch being an ambassador for Bama for life. Bama would probably considered if it was just a means to get to the NFL. Bama QBs are much more than that.
An interesting thought. That would fall under the subjective/emotional category of, " Not Alabama because....it`s Alabama. "

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
Right now, I think:
1. Texas
2. Texas A&M
3. LSU

LSU moves to the top if they hire a good replacement for Coach O before he commits.
I should have had Ole Miss at 4, with the caveat that they move up one spot each season that a. Kiffin is still there and b. Ole Miss goes to a bowl.

Reactions: CoolBreeze

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I think UTw will have the inside track on Manning. Sark can flat develop a QB.

Other than UTw, I could see Clemson. As distasteful as that is, Dabo has had DeShaun Watson and Trevor Lawrence, and Lawrence’s replacement looks sound in limited work. He’s also had little turnover in the assistant coaches.

I don’t see UTe. Just too much of a rebuilding process, and the only reason Peyton went there in the first place was David Cutcliffe. I don’t think the Mannings have any particular affection for the program, and I’m not 100% sure even Peyton does.

Ole Miss would be a possibility if Kiffin could reasonably be expected to stay there. But Oxford is a stepping stone for him to get a Top 10 job, or at least one back out west. Don’t see him being there for 5 years, one of those is already gone, and it’s two years before Arch would be there. So no OM.

aTm: Jimbo has a good record of recruiting QBs, but not developing them. Plus, I just don’t see the Mannings having a tremendous amount of respect for that type of personality.

LSU — As long as O is there, zero chance. Not a fit on personality. Other than when Joe Brady was there his one and only year, a worse record of QB development than Gus Malzahn.

Duke — While they have Cutcliffe, I’m not sure how his health will hold up. Even if that weren’t an issue, Duke football doesn’t have the resources to develop a talent like that.

tOSU — Maybe, depending on how Day develops future QBs.

Michigan — Harbaugh and the Mannings would be like phosphorus and oxygen. No chance.

Alabama — Several problems. From a business perspective, they’re going to be concerned about Saban’s longevity. They’ll also be concerned about turnover in the OC and QB coach positions. Emotionally, I don’t think they could stomach a Manning at what they see as the Death Star Alabama. Not zero chance, but not likely.

So I see, in order, UTw, Clemson, with dark horse tOSU depending on how Day‘s QBs look over the next couple of years, and the family’s perception of the OC and QB coach.

Late Add: Can’t believe I forgot about Oklahoma. Whatever you might think about their conference or their defenses, you have to give Lincoln Riley respect for developing QBs. I still think the Mannings perceive more potential for development elsewhere, but OU is a possibility.

Last edited:

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
The ONLY chance we would have, IMO, is if it became so abundantly clear the NOBODY could possibly develop and prepare a QB for the league like O`Brien AND that he was a lock to be at Alabama for the three years that Arch would be there. Even all that might be a stretch since we`re the Great Satan.

Reactions: 4Q Basket Case

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
People/rival teams are going to keep saying CNS won't coach much longer but every time CNS talks about it, the messaging is clear: he has no desire NOT to coach. And then every 2 or 3 years he signs another extension. So this shouldn't be the reason Arch wouldn't come AND (as I said earlier) playing for CNS might be the ONLY reason he would come.

The biggest road block is probably what many believe is a personal bias against Bama in the Manning family. How strong that bias is - is probably inflated, but it can't be stronger than the bias many Alabama and Auburn OR Michigan and Ohio St. kids have and we constantly see them "turncoat" because they feel it's personally the best thing they can do.

It sounds like the odds are against us, but IMO as long as CNS is around we've got a chance!!!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The ONLY chance we would have, IMO, is if it became so abundantly clear the NOBODY could possibly develop and prepare a QB for the league like O`Brien AND that he was a lock to be at Alabama for the three years that Arch would be there. Even all that might be a stretch since we`re the Great Satan.
OR that Arch wants to do something Peyton and Eli couldn't do and actually win a NC in football (and IIRC, Archie never won one either).

Reactions: Con

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
All indications are that Arch is a future pro QB and will feast in college. I really do not know if he is being "directed" towards or away from certain programs nor do I know his personality type. But if the kid has any say so whatsoever I am sure he wants to go to a program where he can compete for championships, has a superb O line to protect him and athletes in practice that push him to be a better QB for the next level. If any of that is the case then it would be beyond foolish not to take a hard look at Bama. We are, after all, ones best chance at a sure thing that is out there right now and I don't see that changing for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: BamaMoon

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.