(Do We Target) Another portal RB? (This year) (watch teaser titles)

Bamaglory

1st Team
Dec 8, 2005
Not sure if this should go under another thread. If so, move it. However, I don't have a lot of confidence in our RB group post Gibbs so should we go after another like Dillon Johnson from MSU that entered the portal or just hope the new guys coming in will get it done? I always liked having a big bruiser at RB and it seems we don't have one.

• Wow
  • Facepalm
Reactions: Cruloc and The Ols

Blindside17

Suspended
Aug 13, 2019
Phenix City, AL
Not sure if this should go under another thread. If so, move it. However, I don't have a lot of confidence in our RB group post Gibbs so should we go after another like Dillon Johnson from MSU that entered the portal or just hope the new guys coming in will get it done? I always liked having a big bruiser at RB and it seems we don't have one.
Is this a joke? McClellan is a beast and Willaims is a nice change of pace back that is really good. Miller showed some good things when he had opportunities, and they are bringing in 5 star Haynes and highly rated 4 star Young. In fact, another 5 star from last season's signing class Henderson was moved to wide receiver because of the quality and number of running backs we have.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Tell us more about your lack of confidence.

Bamaglory

1st Team
Dec 8, 2005
Well if you can't see a dropoff from Gibbs to McClellan, I can't help you. Nobody we have is as good as Judkins with OM or Sanders with Arky.

• Facepalm
Reactions: Cruloc

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Well if you can't see a dropoff from Gibbs to McClellan, I can't help you.
And if you can't see what our running game picked up from Gibbs to McClellan then we both can't be helped. We barely could run for a first down on short yardage situations because Gibbs, though very dynamic, is a smaller less powerful back. Whereas McClellan was not only getting those short yards but picking up another three to five after contact. Something Gibbs struggled to do all year.

spidermayin

3rd Team
Dec 4, 2018
Maybe the announcers can get it right next year and not call Roydell Williams the "Bigger Back" between him and McClellan. From what little I saw of J Miller, I was really impressed and wanting to see more. The RB group is probably going to be one our stronger units next year, so no need for a transfer.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
McClellan is an excellent back and Williams isn’t far behind. We also have good depth with Miller.

RB isn’t an area of concern IMO.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Alabama picked up Gibbs because you had no one coming back who you knew would be healthy and ready to go. Too many injuries.

Next year you have a great RB room. Absolutely no need to bring in a RB
I think you’re correct about Gibbs being a need because of Jace and Roydell rehabbing.
And in a strange way (and no knock on Gibbs) but he’s so different from the other two that our running game didn’t ever fully develop.

And I believe that if Jace and Roydell were 100% the running game would have been better even without Gibbs.

Bamaglory

1st Team
Dec 8, 2005
So if you guys are right, what if Jase M gets hurt? We're left depending on RW and a little used back in Miller and true Freshmen. Not a good place to be IMO. Another back with experience may be a good idea.

• Facepalm
Reactions: Cruloc

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
So if you guys are right, what if Jase M gets hurt? We're left depending on RW and a little used back in Miller and true Freshmen. Not a good place to be IMO. Another back with experience may be a good idea.
that’s true at almost every position.

but it seems that the portal should be used to address immediate known needs like it was used with Gibbs.

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
I don’t think we used Gibbs right this year. He just wasn’t going to get tough yards. I always want to see McClellan lined up outside with Gibbs at RB, motion Gibbs to slot, then motion McClellan to RB. You could of ran a lot of different plays out of that. We could of thrown to Gibbs well out of it. Ran what we use to call a wing back trap, or reverse. And of course ran power with McClellan.

Blindside17

Suspended
Aug 13, 2019
Phenix City, AL
When McClellan and Roydell started getting more carries they got better and better. They brought an obvious "power" element to the running game. They are no slouches and apparently, the Miller kid is supposed to be a stud. So I think we're fine at the RB position.
Miller had pretty much knocked Sanders down on the depth chart by the end of the season .

Reactions: Tidelines

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.