Question: Do You Have A Pet Peeve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
The original signals were all based on the fact that cyclists were traveling in the same direction as traffic and as such using the left arm would be more visible to motorists.
I believe these signals were used back when cars did not have turn signals or brake lights. The driver would sick his left arm out the window to signal.

Reactions: Bazza and 92tide

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I'd guesstimate that 95% of the population is passive-aggressive. It's so annoying that people won't just say what they think.

I know there are people who think I'm a jerk because I don't dance around stuff but rather go straight to the point, but I don't really care.
And here's the thing, getting "straight to the point" doesn't mean you're actually being a jerk, it just means you're directly addressing the problem. I am also one of those that doesn't beat around the bush and gets overly concerned about someone's feelings, especially when I feel something has reached a level that it needs to be addressed. Yet so many times I've been called "a jerk" when in reality all I did was directly address the issue with the person I felt it needed to be addressed with. IMO, the real "jerk" is the person who is trying to not deal with the issue and continue allowing it to negatively impact everyone. That, to me, is the jerk.

Reactions: Bazza and The Ols

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
And here's the thing, getting "straight to the point" doesn't mean you're actually being a jerk, it just means you're directly addressing the problem.
Oh, certainly - my point is that to the emotionally soft (passive-aggressive) person, someone who speaks directly and with confidence is 'a jerk'.

My biggest pet peeve is emotionally soft people - I simply cannot tolerate them. Probably why I'm typically introverted.

Reactions: Toddrn and 92tide

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Tell me about it. I live in Woodstock and work in Marietta. If it wasn't for work I would never leave Woodstock except to go on vacation. At least until I convince my wife to move once we retire to the panhandle.
do you use the express lanes? that i-75/575 area is brutal.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I believe these signals were used back when cars did not have turn signals or brake lights. The driver would sick his left arm out the window to signal.
iirc, i had to learn those for my driving test. growing up, we had an old truck (mid 60s model 3 on the tree) that didn't have functioning blinkers and i remember my dad always having to signal with his arm

Reactions: UAH and Elefantman

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Oh, certainly - my point is that to the emotionally soft (passive-aggressive) person, someone who speaks directly and with confidence is 'a jerk'.

My biggest pet peeve is emotionally soft people - I simply cannot tolerate them. Probably why I'm typically introverted.
Yep, most people claim they want someone to "just be honest" with them, but when someone is, they can't "handle being told the truth". LOL!

But one thing about the truth, it's quicker. The faster someone or a group of people set their feelings aside and get directly to the problem or what they perceive as the problem, the faster everyone arrives at a solution.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Failure to use Turn Indicators.
People who Text and Drive.
People who don't know how to Turn Left.
AND
People who Cut You Off In Traffic.
Mine are mostly Traffic Related.

ONE MORE THING
I don't like to talk while Alabama Football is on TV.
Yesterday, on a 5-lane (2+2+middle) road near my house, I was in the left lane about to turn left. The car in the right lane was about 2 car lengths in front of me and apparantly the girl/woman realized her destination required a left turn so she turned left and I almost t-boned her. Laid on the horn and got flipped off as thanks. I am pro-getting-tested-every-year-to-keep-your-drivers-license (sort of) ;)

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Another pet peeve ... why in the name of Ray Kroc can drive thrus not get a speaker that works without sounding like Charlie Brown's teacher. I don't understand it and I don't understand why franchise owners tolerate it.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I'm not sure if this is a pet peeve or more of just a differing of opinions between my wife and me for the last 20 years of marriage and 3 years dating.

But if we are going out to a restaurant in a group of three couples and one of the spouses is "picky" and may or may not have "food issues". It is my opinion that we, as a group, do not defer to her/him to "pick" where we're eating just because she/he is the one that is picky. But rather, we choose a place based on where the majority wants to eat and let the "picky" one find something on the menu they can eat. My wife on the other hand thinks the exact opposite, of course (men, mars, women venus thingy).

My experience with allowing the "picky" person to choose for the group is the place they choose ends up being some national chain (Chili's, Applebees etc.) type place and bypassing better local restaurants that are ten times better.

And before anyone gets on their social righteous horse, I get it, the main thing is spending time with the people and not about the food. But I'm from the south and what "we" eat MATTERS!!! LOL!

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Yesterday, on a 5-lane (2+2+middle) road near my house, I was in the left lane about to turn left. The car in the right lane was about 2 car lengths in front of me and apparantly the girl/woman realized her destination required a left turn so she turned left and I almost t-boned her. Laid on the horn and got flipped off as thanks. I am pro-getting-tested-every-year-to-keep-your-drivers-license (sort of) ;)
i see this type of silliness all of the time with folks getting angry with others because they get called out on their screw up.

i'm not sure if you and our other atlanta brethren and sisteren are having the same experience, but my wife and i were talking last night about how much worse atlanta drivers seem to have gotten post-covid. it was god-awful before, but it's beyond ridiculous now.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I'm not sure if this is a pet peeve or more of just a differing of opinions between my wife and me for the last 20 years of marriage and 3 years dating.

But if we are going out to a restaurant in a group of three couples (6 total people) and one of the spouses is "picky" and may or may not have "food issues". It is my opinion that we, as a group, do not defer to her/him to "pick" where we're eating just because she/he is the one that is picky. But rather, we choose a place based on where the majority wants to eat and let the "picky" one find something on the menu they can eat. My wife on the other hand thinks the exact opposite, of course (men, mars, women venus thingy).

My experience with allowing the "picky" person to choose for the group is the place they choose ends up being some national chain (Chili's, Applebees etc.) type place and bypassing better local restaurants that are ten times better.

And before anyone gets on their social righteous horse, I get it, the main thing is spending time with the people and not about the food. But I'm from the south and what "we" eat MATTERS!!! LOL!
my wife usually disagrees with my suggested solution of telling them to bring their own damned food.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

But if we are going out to a restaurant in a group of three couples and one of the spouses is "picky" and may or may not have "food issues". It is my opinion that we, as a group, do not defer to her/him to "pick" where we're eating just because she/he is the one that is picky. But rather, we choose a place based on where the majority wants to eat and let the "picky" one find something on the menu they can eat. My wife on the other hand thinks the exact opposite, of course (men, mars, women venus thingy).

I am with you. Majority rules.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
If you're hanging out with people who eat at Applebees, Chilis, etc you need a better class of friends... :)

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
Another pet peeve ... why in the name of Ray Kroc can drive thrus not get a speaker that works without sounding like Charlie Brown's teacher. I don't understand it and I don't understand why franchise owners tolerate it.
For the same reason that the Hubble can take a picture of a planet 300 light years away in better quality than a bank security camera can get a picture of a bank robber 20 feet away.

Reactions: seebell
Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.