Question: Do You Have A Pet Peeve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I've thought about my pet peeves, and they're all really symptoms of the same thing: Oblivious self-centeredness. The obliviot is either too stupid to realize they're affecting others, or too selfish to care. Maybe both.

Lots of symptoms, but here are a few:

- People who talk on a cell phone with the speaker on, forcing everybody within earshot to hear their never-ending inane conversation about nothing.
I no longer let this social violation slide. The more I've encountered it and the more I've thought about it, I've come to my echoed chambered opinion this needs to be put in the category of "cardinal sin" of social etiquette violations. I simply ask the person (nicely) to please take their phone off speaker, whether it is someone I know or a total stranger. It is a total lack of respect for other people in a public setting to carry on a private phone conversation in a public manner. Whether it be in the checkout line of a store, sitting in a restaurant, or hanging out among friends. It is a complete lack of respect for others around them.

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: Bazza

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I no longer let this social violation slide. The more I've encountered it and the more I've thought about it, I've come to my echoed chambered opinion this needs to be put in the category of "cardinal sin" of social etiquette violations. I simply ask the person (nicely) to please take their phone off speaker, whether it is someone I know or a total stranger. It is a total lack of respect for other people in a public setting to carry on a private phone conversation in a public manner. Whether it be in the checkout line of a store, sitting in a restaurant, or hanging out among friends. It is a complete lack of respect for others around them.
Agreed. What kind of reactions have you gotten?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Agreed. What kind of reactions have you gotten?
A little bit of everything, but nothing that was even close to getting "out of hand". I've gotten some that simply say "I'm sorry", quickly switch the phone off, and go about their day. I've had others give me a go to hell look, but ultimately cut it off the speaker.

I'd say the "worst" response I've had was in the post office, there was a sign stating "NO CELL PHONE USE BEYOND THIS POINT". The line was long and I was toward the back end, so I'm having to stand beside the lady for a while. We were at a point in the line that cell phone use was supposed to cease anyway. Yet this woman not only was still talking on the phone but had the damn thing on speaker in what HAD TO BE at its loudest volume. People in front of me and behind her were constantly looking, giving OBVIOUS social queues it was bothering them as well. I waited hoping the convo would come to an end then I realized she was just using the conversation to pass the time in line. I finally just told her "Ma'am, could you please take your phone off speaker, it is very loud." At first she looked at me (somewhat in shock) and didn't say anything, then basically told me I needed to mind my own business. I then pointed at the sign regarding no cell phone use and told her she needed to follow the policy of the post office. Luckily, other people started chiming in and supporting what I said. She mumbled several things under her breath which I'm sure was calling me everything but a child of God. But again, I've reached a point with that crap that I really don't care.

Last edited:
  • Full Banjeaux!
Reactions: seebell and Bazza

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I've reached a point with that crap that I really don't care.
You should see me in a parking lot when some schmuck doesn't put their shopping cart into the cart corral....the worst being when they push it into a landscape island....:rolleyes:

"Excuse me......that's not where the empty carts go. They go over here in the cart corral."

The key here is to catch them before they start entering their vehicle. Once that happens - they tend to just skulk away like the little cowardly weasels they are.....

• Haha
Reactions: seebell

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
YouTube videos where someone is telling a story and they babble for 20 minutes when they could probably do it in ten at the most.
I've gotten pretty good at filtering through them to get the ones that are most efficient.

I start by ranking them by length. The shorter ones I give priority.

Then I check out the likes/dislikes. If I see a bunch of dislikes - boom - gone.

I'll also fast forward the video 1-2-3 minutes at a time watching the display to get to the part I want.

You can also speed them up in the 'settings' function. Useful for thise football game reviews that always contain way too much chatter....

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
You should see me in a parking lot when some schmuck doesn't put their shopping cart into the cart corral....the worst being when they push it into a landscape island....:rolleyes:

"Excuse me......that's not where the empty carts go. They go over here in the cart corral."

The key here is to catch them before they start entering their vehicle. Once that happens - they tend to just skulk away like the little cowardly weasels they are.....
I was having a bad day or something once and I put one on the island. Can't remember why. Usually I'm the guy that will grab one there and wheel it into the a nearby corral on my way into the store. Anyway, like I said, I guess I was just having a bad day. So a lady in a nearby car said to me very snarky, that doesn't go there. I didnt quite understand, so I said, excuse me. She repeated in an unpleasant manner. I asked her if she was the parking lot monitor. Told her if she was she could take this cart and stick it (...where the sun don't shine). We did not engage in further intercourse. I really must have been having a bad day. I would normally be more likely to hold a door open for her or ask if I can help her get something heavy out of her cart.

• Wow
Reactions: seebell and Bazza

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
I was having a bad day or something once and I put one on the island. Can't remember why. Usually I'm the guy that will grab one there and wheel it into the a nearby corral on my way into the store. Anyway, like I said, I guess I was just having a bad day. So a lady in a nearby car said to me very snarky, that doesn't go there. I didnt quite understand, so I said, excuse me. She repeated in an unpleasant manner. I asked her if she was the parking lot monitor. Told her if she was she could take this cart and stick it (...where the sun don't shine). We did not engage in further intercourse. I really must have been having a bad day. I would normally be more likely to hold a door open for her or ask if I can help her get something heavy out of her cart.
The Walmart here has done an outstanding job of their corral locations and number.

The Publix, on the other hand, is terrible.

I don't shop at Publix anymore than I have to - not just for that reason but the entire culture there.

The part where shoppers take up the entire aisle while checking their phones? Guess where that happens. Yep....Publix.....

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
The Walmart here has done an outstanding job of their corral locations and number.

I don't shop at Publix anymore than I have to - not just for that reason but the entire culture there.

The part where shoppers take up the entire aisle while checking their phones? Guess where that happens. Yep....Publix.....
The Publix nearest to me got rid of the corrals. There are none now. So you either leave them on an island or walk all the way back to the store or let one of the chuckle heads help you out.

• Thank You

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001

I think where I was may have had a giant parking lot and one corral a hundred yards away and I was pressed for time. I'm almost always the type that follows the rules and expects others to do the same. It was unfortunate.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Try this... be obvious that you are listening in and make comments to the person... advice, witty repartee, random thoughts on the conversation... join in.

Would be hilarious fun.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I travel for work so I eat out a lot by myself. It makes me mad when I walk in alone and get treated like crap. Especially when they try to make me sit in the bar area. Or if they never come to refill my tea.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
I travel for work so I eat out a lot by myself. It makes me mad when I walk in alone and get treated like crap. Especially when they try to make me sit in the bar area. Or if they never come to refill my tea.

I hate it when the hostess says " Just one?" Like something is wrong with eating by yourself!

• Haha
Reactions: Bazza

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I have a new one. Kind of related to obliviodicy.

People who go for a run or walk, at dusk, dressed head to toe in black.

Saw a guy almost lose his life a few minutes ago when he jogged out (1) running with traffic (i.e., the wrong way), and (2) against the light, into a crosswalk and almost got squished flatter than a piece of paper by a car turning left with the light, driver checking right to be sure it was clear.

Driver reacted at the last nanosecond, swerved, hit the brakes and dang near got rear-ended by the trailing car. Nobody was hurt, no vehicles damaged, but the driver was clearly shaken, and Mr. Obliviot carried on his merry, oblivious way.

WE CAN’T SEE YOU, MORON. Wear a Day-Glo vest. Put some light-colored clothing on, or at least something with reflective strips. Jiminy Christmas, cretin, you were dressed like a cat burglar from a 1960s spy movie (including the black skullcap), compounding that by violating all sorts of pedestrian rules of the road, and doing it at the exact time of day when visibility is worst.

Thing of it is, he’s likely too stupid to realize why it happened or how lucky he is to be still running.

• Smash Keyboard
Reactions: Bazza and Padreruf

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
I have a new one. Kind of related to obliviodicy.

People who go for a run or walk, at dusk, dressed head to toe in black.

Saw a guy almost lose his life a few minutes ago when he jogged out (1) running with traffic (i.e., the wrong way), and (2) against the light, into a crosswalk and almost got squished flatter than a piece of paper by a car turning left with the light, driver checking right to be sure it was clear.

Driver reacted at the last nanosecond, swerved, hit the brakes and dang near got rear-ended by the trailing car. Nobody was hurt, no vehicles damaged, but the driver was clearly shaken, and Mr. Obliviot carried on his merry, oblivious way.

WE CAN’T SEE YOU, MORON. Wear a Day-Glo vest. Put some light-colored clothing on, or at least something with reflective strips. Jiminy Christmas, cretin, you were dressed like a cat burglar from a 1960s spy movie (including the black skullcap), compounding that by violating all sorts of pedestrian rules of the road, and doing it at the exact time of day when visibility is worst.

Thing of it is, he’s likely too stupid to realize why it happened or how lucky he is to be still running.
I finally quit running outside. Always ran during daylight facing traffic. Can't count the times I almost got ran over in a 3 street subdivision. People on phones, backing out of their driveway not looking, putting on makeup, just not paying attention.

• Wow
Reactions: Bazza and Padreruf

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I finally quit running outside. Always ran during daylight facing traffic. Can't count the times I almost got ran over in a 3 street subdivision. People on phones, backing out of their driveway not looking, putting on makeup, just not paying attention.
THIS!!!! ^^^^^

My wife and I walk/run in our neighborhood during the week and I can't tell you how many times we are on the OTHER SIDE OF THE ROAD and have cars drift not only into the wrong lane but damn near off the road forcing us to think about jumping into the ditch.

• Thank You
Reactions: Bazza and Toddrn

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Since we're discussing transportation and traffic pet peeves, I've got one that drives me through the roof and is one of the many reasons I do not carry my 45 in the vehicle.

I'm in the left lane with my blinker on attempting to get over into the right lane. The vehicle in my passenger's side mirror obviously notices this and speeds up right beside me to keep me from changing lanes. I slow down, they slow down, I speed up they speed up. Why do this? I see this a lot when I'm on the road and I have no idea why people do this. Nothing good can come of something like this. 🤷‍♂️

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Since we're discussing transportation and traffic pet peeves, I've got one that drives me through the roof and is one of the many reasons I do not carry my 45 in the vehicle.

I'm in the left lane with my blinker on attempting to get over into the right lane. The vehicle in my passenger's side mirror obviously notices this and speeds up right beside me to keep me from changing lanes. I slow down, they slow down, I speed up they speed up. Why do this? I see this a lot when I'm on the road and I have no idea why people do this. Nothing good can come of something like this. 🤷‍♂️
Can't tell you how many times this seems to happen to me and then I just start inching over until they get the point and give up.

Of course I only do this when driving my '02 Silverado 1500. It has it's share of dents on it so what's a few more? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.