Question: Do You Have A Pet Peeve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
So I'm getting in the express checkout line at Publix, and notice that the guy in front of me has like 25 items in his cart.

"Excuse me, sir, but this is the express lane."

"Yeah, well, I'm in a hurry."

So I shrug and move to the regular line to the left. Two people in front of me, neither of whom have that much. I pretty much zoom through.

Meanwhile, in the express lane, the woman two shoppers ahead of Mr. I'm in a hurry is attempting to use Phone Pay for the first time, and it is not going well. The line hasn't moved since I changed lanes. I wave to Mr. I'm in a hurry on my way out.

Petty, perhaps, but he deserved it, mainly because he was wearing a Georgia t-shirt and mask.

Roll Tide.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
My pet peeve is people who think that rules apply to every one else, not them. I have a golfing buddy who will bend every rule and cut every corner he can just to save a buck or two. We go out to eat together -- with our spouses -- and they order the special. Menu specifically states, "No further discounts can be applied." When the bill comes they try to use their AARP discount...and every time the waitress/manager has to say, "No, you cannot do that." Makes me uneasy and downright angry...they are also very cheap tippers, even though having plenty of money. I may not have much, but in today's world I'm tipping at least 20%...these workers deserve some help.
OK...my last rant for this year...I hope.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
My current pet peeve, people in relationships that feels pity for me being single and in my 40s. They use tired cliches like "oh, you'll find someone," or "there somebody for everybody." Tired cliches don't help, so don't offer it. Admit to being 40 and single sucks for me and change the subject.

Last edited:
Reactions: DzynKingRTR

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
My current pet peeve, people in relationships that feels pity for me being single and in my 40s. They use tired cliches like "oh, you'll find someone," or "there somebody for everybody." Tired cliches don't help, so don't offer it. Admit to being 40 and single sucks for me and change the subject.
Have you tried farmersonly.com? or Craigslist? :)

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I have a friend of 20 years who is in a similar situation. I got married at 25 and have been married 21 years to the same person and have accumulated 5 kids along the way. Whereas my friend, who is the same age as I am (46) has never been married and is still single. His plan wasn't to stay single, is still not to stay single and hopefully one day marry and have a family.

He is the only one in our "group" who is still single and for literally 10-15 years everyone who cares has broken their necks to set him up with friends, co-workers etc, and it has never panned out. He is a very good-looking dude, well educated, has a nice career, and makes good money. He isn't a closet homosexual or anything like that. He is very heterosexual and desires women, so "we" have no idea why regardless of how many women that friends, family, and co-workers have tried to match him with over the years, and the women he's met on his own, nothing has worked.

There are people I know who are so physically unattractive and "weird" that I thought "no way he gets married", have ended up married before this guy. It got to a point where people were having conversations with each other when he wasn't around saying things like "these women must be picking up on something that we don't see or know", or "there must be something about him we don't know". I know, that is AWFUL, but considering his looks, personality, financial success etc, it doesn't make sense that he's still single at 46 when that is not his desire. 🤷‍♂️

I don't know, but you're definitely not a unicorn.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
I don't know, but you're definitely not a unicorn.
I understand. Not thrilled with being 40+ and single but I am no longer worried about finding somebody. If it happens, so be it. I've got things to keep me busy (like drawing--though I am vastly mediocre---playing nerdy games, playing outdoor sports with friends, etc) and happy and not worried (or losing sleep) over finding somebody. If it's fait accompli for me being single all my life, well.....them's the breaks, I guess. I'll be happy if my legacy is being a good uncle, brother and son.

Have you tried farmersonly.com? or Craigslist? :)
And match.com and eharmony.com and so on and so on. Those sites are ripoffs IMO.

I'm just tired of people using those tired cliche's. Like I said, just admit it sucks and let's talk about how anything, other than religion or politics.

I'm not here to rip on those who found somebody to share your life with. In fact, I am happy for those who did, I just don't need empty statements to keep me going.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I understand. Not thrilled with being 40+ and single but I am no longer worried about finding somebody. If it happens, so be it. I've got things to keep me busy (like drawing--though I am vastly mediocre---playing nerdy games, playing outdoor sports with friends, etc) and happy and not worried (or losing sleep) over finding somebody. If it's fait accompli for me being single all my life, well.....them's the breaks, I guess. I'll be happy if my legacy is being a good uncle, brother and son.

And match.com and eharmony.com and so on and so on. Those sites are ripoffs IMO.

I'm just tired of people using those tired cliche's. Like I said, just admit it sucks and let's talk about how anything, other than religion or politics.

I'm not here to rip on those who found somebody to share your life with. In fact, I am happy for those who did, I just don't need empty statements to keep me going.
Same here. 40s and single. I tried match and one of the women I went out with used a photo from 10 years and 80 pounds ago.

• Love
Reactions: seebell

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
My pet peeve is people who think that rules apply to every one else, not them. I have a golfing buddy who will bend every rule and cut every corner he can just to save a buck or two. We go out to eat together -- with our spouses -- and they order the special. Menu specifically states, "No further discounts can be applied." When the bill comes they try to use their AARP discount...and every time the waitress/manager has to say, "No, you cannot do that." Makes me uneasy and downright angry...they are also very cheap tippers, even though having plenty of money. I may not have much, but in today's world I'm tipping at least 20%...these workers deserve some help.
OK...my last rant for this year...I hope.
Yeah, we know some people like this as well, which is why we have made it a point not to be available when we know they will be attending.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
You would think in this day and age you could buy a cell phone and set it up yourself.

Company websites don't work so you end up having to phone support.

Next item: If someone wants a phone to do a million other things - that's fine with me. Go for it.

But how about if you just want it to make a phone call - and that's it?

Buddy you're out of luck. :rolleyes:

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
You would think in this day and age you could buy a cell phone and set it up yourself.

Company websites don't work so you end up having to phone support.

Next item: If someone wants a phone to do a million other things - that's fine with me. Go for it.

Buddy you're out of luck. :rolleyes:
Back in the day, when you could get very decent cell phones for free (one for the wife, one for me), although, they did come with hard to decipher, more expensive call rates. The goal/trend back then was to make the phones smaller and smaller. I had a Samsung that was about the size of two 9v batteries back-to-back (think, Zoolander). My father, who is 88 years old, just bought the latest and greatest Apple Pro Max for $1300 !! It's a constant struggle for me to try and keep it "working" for him.

Reactions: Bazza

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

Buddy you're out of luck.
:rolleyes:
Flip phones are still readily available and inexpensive.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
For places that have basically already begun the transition, let's just go ahead and put full self-checkout service lines in and do away with the employee "manned" version. To the customer, it doesn't matter why the pace of regular checkout is so much slower and cumbersome, that's between management and the employee.

But when the self-checkout lines can be double and sometimes triple the length of the regular checkouts, yet move faster, it is time to do get rid of the "rotary phones" and go with the "smartphones".

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
For places that have basically already begun the transition, let's just go ahead and put full self-checkout service lines in and do away with the employee "manned" version. To the customer, it doesn't matter why the pace of regular checkout is so much slower and cumbersome, that's between management and the employee.

But when the self-checkout lines can be double and sometimes triple the length of the regular checkouts, yet move faster, it is time to do get rid of the "rotary phones" and go with the "smartphones".
There should be a discount to use the self-checkout. I do not work for the store. I should not have to do their damn job.

Reactions: Bamabuzzard
Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.