Question: Do You Have A Pet Peeve?

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
There should be a discount to use the self-checkout. I do not work for the store. I should not have to do their damn job.
I've always thought this as well. Why should I pay the same price as the people in the regular checkout line when I'm the one doing the labor of checking out? But now, I've moved on from that and think it is time for stores to replace all traditional checkout lines with self-service lines. I shop at Kroger, Brookshires, Target, Lowes, and a few other places that utilize both traditional lines and self-service, and all of them have now gotten to the point that the self check-out lines can be double and triple the length of the traditional lines and they move a lot faster.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
You guys are crazy - self checkout is the greatest thing since applesauce! I love being able to organize my groceries and provisions the way I want them in my own bags that I bring in with me for just such a purpose. Have you ever watched someone else bag your stuff and get it wrong? It sucks because you want to just jump in there - but then you don't want to come off as some ass. This way there's zero conflict!

I bring in with me double paper bags and use those when I bag my stuff. they hold a lot and are easy to carry and transport. Put the heavy items in first and at the bottom and then build on it. Maybe it's the German in me but man I enjoy the heck out of getting everything in a logical fashion.

YMMV..... ;)

• Thank You
Reactions: crimsonaudio

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Smokers again! At HD today I come out to load my truck and there he is - Mr Ponytail puffing on a weed. Parked right behind me. Sucks.

I just got into & sat in my truck until he had left. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Toddrn

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I've always thought this as well. Why should I pay the same price as the people in the regular checkout line when I'm the one doing the labor of checking out? But now, I've moved on from that and think it is time for stores to replace all traditional checkout lines with self-service lines. I shop at Kroger, Brookshires, Target, Lowes, and a few other places that utilize both traditional lines and self-service, and all of them have now gotten to the point that the self check-out lines can be double and triple the length of the traditional lines and they move a lot faster.
The self checkout people are apparently in no hurry at all where I shop or they are really dumb. It is real slow.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New pet peeve.

People who do not update their classifieds after their item sells.

I replied to two different ads yesterday and both parties replied the item had already sold. At least one of them apologized for not updating her ad.

Then you see the ones with "I won't reply to anyone who asks if it's still available."

:rolleyes:

Reactions: Toddrn

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Judgemental people.

They tend to frequent social media, message boards, etc.

Saw a post on Nextdoor where a person was complaining that the kid working the seafood counter didn't know how to weigh out 1/3 lb. of shrimp. That's never happened to me but guess it's a possibility.

All of a sudden it's freaking open season!

Finally I see a few decent replies:

1) The scales are digital. Tell them .33 Not that big of a deal. Help them learn something new. If the scales aren’t digital just tell them a couple of shrimp less than half a pound.​
2) You are right on. Be solution oriented.​
3) It could be lack of schooling or it could be similar to my son who is mentally slow and has been all his life. Takes him time to count back change or to read things. People have called him stupid because he isn’t as fast as most of us are in reading writing or math. He could be sitting home collecting disability, but like all my sons he works a full time job so he can live on his own. So when quick to judge people, you may want to try and make it a teaching moment. There a lot of younger folks similar to my son that are proud, hard workers that won’t tell you that they’re mentally slow. They wish to be just like us. I tell him he’s perfect the way he is. Kind, hardworking, and give 210% daily. So just stop and think for just one moment and think that this young adult might be trying really hard to be just like you or I. Kindest goes a long way.​

I just don't understand this "attack mode" from these people......really sad they feel they have to be like that....

• Thank You
Reactions: seebell and Toddrn

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
Judgemental people.

They tend to frequent social media, message boards, etc.

Saw a post on Nextdoor where a person was complaining that the kid working the seafood counter didn't know how to weigh out 1/3 lb. of shrimp. That's never happened to me but guess it's a possibility.

All of a sudden it's freaking open season!

Finally I see a few decent replies:

1) The scales are digital. Tell them .33 Not that big of a deal. Help them learn something new. If the scales aren’t digital just tell them a couple of shrimp less than half a pound.​
2) You are right on. Be solution oriented.​
3) It could be lack of schooling or it could be similar to my son who is mentally slow and has been all his life. Takes him time to count back change or to read things. People have called him stupid because he isn’t as fast as most of us are in reading writing or math. He could be sitting home collecting disability, but like all my sons he works a full time job so he can live on his own. So when quick to judge people, you may want to try and make it a teaching moment. There a lot of younger folks similar to my son that are proud, hard workers that won’t tell you that they’re mentally slow. They wish to be just like us. I tell him he’s perfect the way he is. Kind, hardworking, and give 210% daily. So just stop and think for just one moment and think that this young adult might be trying really hard to be just like you or I. Kindest goes a long way.​

I just don't understand this "attack mode" from these people......really sad they feel they have to be like that....
I think the school systems have failed to teach plain math. Every student should have to take a class on things like balancing a checkbook, counting back change the correct way and things that are used in everyday life. Technology has also added to these issues. We all rely on it more than we should. I applaud your son for wanting to make it on his own. We need more people like him in the world. Sounds like you did a great job raising him. I always tell people that are thinking about having kids, that it is their job to raise them, make sure they get some type of education, get a job and pay taxes. Nothing is free in life.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I think the school systems have failed to teach plain math. Every student should have to take a class on things like balancing a checkbook, counting back change the correct way and things that are used in everyday life. Technology has also added to these issues. We all rely on it more than we should. I applaud your son for wanting to make it on his own. We need more people like him in the world. Sounds like you did a great job raising him. I always tell people that are thinking about having kids, that it is their job to raise them, make sure they get some type of education, get a job and pay taxes. Nothing is free in life.
The public school system and higher education system in parts of the country have been eroding for decades. True story, we had a 26 year old accountant with an MBA who didn't know debits and credits. She's no longer with us...

I sit on the interview panels for all personnel hires for accounting positions. I cannot tell you how many interviews are over before they ever start because the applicant (with an accounting degree) cannot pass the 12 questions, accounting 101, written part of the interview.

Last edited:

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
You guys are crazy - self checkout is the greatest thing since applesauce! I love being able to organize my groceries and provisions the way I want them in my own bags that I bring in with me for just such a purpose. Have you ever watched someone else bag your stuff and get it wrong? It sucks because you want to just jump in there - but then you don't want to come off as some ass. This way there's zero conflict!

I bring in with me double paper bags and use those when I bag my stuff. they hold a lot and are easy to carry and transport. Put the heavy items in first and at the bottom and then build on it. Maybe it's the German in me but man I enjoy the heck out of getting everything in a logical fashion.

YMMV..... ;)
Come on Bazza, we all know why you don’t use the “standard” checkout line…. 😉

1646347670999.gif

• Haha
Reactions: seebell and Bazza

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
My pet peeve is people who think that rules apply to every one else, not them. I have a golfing buddy who will bend every rule and cut every corner he can just to save a buck or two. We go out to eat together -- with our spouses -- and they order the special. Menu specifically states, "No further discounts can be applied." When the bill comes they try to use their AARP discount...and every time the waitress/manager has to say, "No, you cannot do that." Makes me uneasy and downright angry...they are also very cheap tippers, even though having plenty of money. I may not have much, but in today's world I'm tipping at least 20%...these workers deserve some help.
OK...my last rant for this year...I hope.
I wished I could give you a thousand "likes' for this. I fly almost every week for work. It is almost every flight that someone doesn’t want to comply with the basic safety rules, like they should get a special “exemption”.

Bags in numbers and sizes that exceed carryon limits. Not wanting to stow a laptop for takeoff and landing. Getting up while on a active taxi way. And on and on….

This is my favorite: I fly a lot of regional flights to smaller airports. Thus standard 20” carry on bags need to be valet checked. You line up on the jet bridge and they bring them to you after you land. The standard announcement “Please line up on the RIGHT SIDE of the jet bridge and valet bags will be placed on the LEFT. And you’ll have 90% of the folks that will comply but there is alway those that decide “nah…I’m special. I’ll stand right here in everyone’s way”.

Then they get PO’d when the ground crew tells them to move and think they are being rude. No they aren’t rude, you are acting “entitled”.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Just got back from errands and proud to say I ticked off two different drivers who were lolly-gagging in the left (passing/turn) lane when I went around them. That felt good..... ;)

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Reactive "leaders" instead of proactive leaders.
Or people who "lead from the back" rather than lead from the front. I work for a "lead from the back" type person and there are so many problems that arise that would have never, ever been an issue if she would just do something on the front end of the situation rather than letting it turn into a clustercrap before doing anything.

Reactions: Bazza

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Meetings (especially department meetings) are usually unproductive and a waste of time. They turn into nothing more than a share our feelings therapy session and endless amounts of rambling and rabbit chasing.

I was reminded of that this afternoon when a department meeting that was only supposed to be 20 minutes turned into an hour and fifteen minutes long. The department head constantly rambles, then she gives the floor to two other people who ramble and go down rabbit holes that are nowhere within the scope of what the meeting was supposed to be about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.