Question: Do you prefer a thin or thick BBQ sauce and why?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
For those that don't know I'm a BBQ addict and am not looking for a cure for it. :biggrin2: I love bbq'n and talking about Q with others. This past holiday season my buddy and I sold bbq pulled pork (with bottle of sauce) and smoked turkeys.

The interesting thing we found is how much people seemed to love the thin sauce yet said they'd never really had it. They were "raised on" or traditionally had thick sauce. Which granted the region I live in is dominated by tomato based thick sauces.

What type sauce do you prefer and why? I prefer a thin sauce because it doesn't "sit on top" of the meat and demand a taste of its own. The thin sauce seems to blend or "marry" with the bbq better and is more of a compliment.

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
It really depends on what I am cooking as to what kind of sauce I use and I am not a one sauce for all kind of guy my taste buds are moody. Thick, thin, vinegar, tomato, white sauce it sort of depends on what side of the bed I get up on.

dblack

Scout Team
Dec 23, 2009
I've never given much thought to the thick/thin debate; however, when I went to Arkansas last year a Razorback fan gave me a bottle of "Sooey Sauce" that is incredible. I don't know if it was his brand, or what, but it's got a nice mix of sweet and spicy.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I'm not really a "sauce man" so to speak. The only thing I use sauce on is pulled pork. I'm one of these who thinks that if your ribs are good they don't need sauce and same goes with the brisket and the chicken. There are people who just simply like the sauce taste with their Q so they put it on ribs, brisket, chicken etc. And that's ok. But for me I only use sauce on pulled pork sammiches (thin sauce) and everything else I season with rubs.

Tidefan7887

Scout Team
Oct 27, 2006
Tuscaloosa, AL
I tend to prefer thin vinegar sauces on pulled pork, and thick sauces on everything else. Lately when I've had left over pulled pork or smoked chicken, I've been doing bbq pizzas. Just a way to change it up after eating sandwiches for a day or two. I really like sweet baby rays sauce for the "pizza sauce" and then pile on the bbq, onions, and cheese. Sometimes bake it in oven, sometimes do it on the Big Green Egg. Either way is good eating.

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
I like the thin vinegar base sauce with pulled pork it seems to let the pork be the star.
Beef Brisket I never sauce but will offer tomato base thick sauce as a dipper.
I always sauce my ribs with thick tomato base sauce towards the end of cooking, last 30 min or so. I don''t like burnt sauce. This goes for baby backs, country backbones, St. Louis cut, Kansas City cut or beef ribs I sauce them all.
Chicken I do thick tomato base, mustard base, white sauce, injector, shove stuff under the skin or up the chicken's butt. Depends on who wants what or what we have in the pantry.
Goat gets dry rub and vinegar base jerk mopping sauce
Sometimes we take leftover beef roast, chop it up real good then mix with thick tomato base sauce and make bbq beef sandwiches.
Fish I have done some crazy things to.
lamb usually gets rubbed with mustard and herbs, yogurt and herbs or thousand island dressing and herbs.
link sausage I like to paint with thick tomato base sauce
whole onions, hollow out the center, fill with butter and honey then paint some tomato base sauce on them, wrap in foil and cook on grill, yumm.

Time to crack open the Egg.

Last edited:

BamaLuver

G&C | FB Moderator
Aug 16, 2000
Mobile, AL
I'm not much of a sauce person either. I do prefer it thin though & served on the side so I can put dip my meat in it if I want.

ddsmit

Suspended
Jan 3, 2003
Pensacola, FL
We use a thick sweet sauce on just about everything except pulled pork. It depends on our mood, sometimes vinegar based sauce,sweet thick sauce or no sauce at all.

By the way Bayou I like your BGE table, wish I had room for one.

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
We use a thick sweet sauce on just about everything except pulled pork. It depends on our mood, sometimes vinegar based sauce,sweet thick sauce or no sauce at all.

By the way Bayou I like your BGE table, wish I had room for one.
The Egg table is 52" long and made from cypress then stained and sealed using the same stain and sealant used on the cedar fence.

Islander

1st Team
Jul 18, 2008
Hoover or Dauphin Island
Mine is a 20 year old made of sheet aluminum. I bought it before they decided that they could not make them for what they were selling them for. Mine is about 1.5 times larger than the regular size. I had two and made the mistake of selling one-I sometimes make stupid mistakes.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.