Do You Want Oklahoma And Texas To Join The SEC?

What's your choice?

• Yes

Votes: 49 28.2%
  • No

Votes: 96 55.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 29 16.7%

• Total voters

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I have never really seen them as a big rival outside of the fact we play them every year and are usually better than the Mississippi schools. (Nobody will miss them or Arkansas).

It is probably a bigger deal to them because they are butt hurt over Saban and certainly the championship game upped the ante. But they pick up an annual border war with Texas along with Oklahoma so they won’t miss us too much.

So we trade annual games with LSU, Arkansas, TA&M, and the Mississippis for UGA, Florida, South Carolina, Kentucky, and Vandy. (Assuming the barn and we move to the East). Is this better or worse?
I think it's about even.

Georgia/Florida could be seen as tough as LSU/OU. Texas is a wildcard. The Mississippi schools are stronger than UK/Tennessee right now but that could easily flip. Arkansas/Missouri is a smidge better than Vandy/South Carolina, but the Gamecocks have the potential to be a lot better as well. But Auburn is stronger than Texas right now.

I think overall its better for us because travel is a lot easier to Georgia/Florida than it would be to Texas/OU/Missouri. Recruiting is split, IMO. We've enjoyed success in Texas lately. I don't know how much that dries up if we are not regularly playing there, so a lot depends on how they rotate the schedule. But we make a strong living in Georgia and Florida for recruiting as well. Texas is like really nice icing on the cake. Florida/Georgia is the cake.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I went yes. I really liked last years all conference schedule and this would pave the way for more conference games. Hopefully, it would also move us to a pod system from divisions. Change is the only constant so I prefer to have a couple more big dogs in the conference instead of a couple of middle packers. The game is changing anyway so might as well keep the conference strong as possible.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I think it's about even.

Georgia/Florida could be seen as tough as LSU/OU. Texas is a wildcard. The Mississippi schools are stronger than UK/Tennessee right now but that could easily flip. Arkansas/Missouri is a smidge better than Vandy/South Carolina, but the Gamecocks have the potential to be a lot better as well. But Auburn is stronger than Texas right now.

I think overall its better for us because travel is a lot easier to Georgia/Florida than it would be to Texas/OU/Missouri. Recruiting is split, IMO. We've enjoyed success in Texas lately. I don't know how much that dries up if we are not regularly playing there, so a lot depends on how they rotate the schedule. But we make a strong living in Georgia and Florida for recruiting as well. Texas is like really nice icing on the cake. Florida/Georgia is the cake.
If we go to a nine game schedule with no permanent crossovers we’d have two West games a season. If we swap out two every year we’d play everyone in four years and at everyone in eight. So we’d play in Texas about once every four years.

But being in Georgia and Florida every other year will make up for it.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
If we go to a nine game schedule with no permanent crossovers we’d have two West games a season. If we swap out two every year we’d play everyone in four years and at everyone in eight. So we’d play in Texas about once every four years.

But being in Georgia and Florida every other year will make up for it.
Agreed. That's my preference. I don't like the Pods.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
My son made an excellent point last night:

“We love college football for traditions, the competitions, and the rivalries. We love it because it means more than just the numbers on the scoreboard at the end of the game. This will have nothing to do with that.”

The only “score” that will matter is does it make everyone’s piece of the revenue pie increase?

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
My son made an excellent point last night:

“We love college football for traditions, the competitions, and the rivalries. We love it because it means more than just the numbers on the scoreboard at the end of the game. This will have nothing to do with that.”

The only “score” that will matter is does it make everyone’s piece of the revenue pie increase?
The only solace is we may get some of those traditions back. Hopefully this is the catalyst to restart the Texas/Texas A&M game.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Other than TV sets, I really don't see much advantage in adding them. We already have Ole Miss delusional fans who think their program is way more important than it is - so why add Texas ? We will tire of them quickly just like the Big 12 fans have. At least OU has some accomplishments to be arrogant about. I'm giving this a Horns down.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Mass consolidation in college football is happening whether we like it or not. To the extent that it helps and strengthens our program, I’ll embrace it. Rest assured that is the motivation for Texas and Oklahoma—to enhance and strengthen THEIR programs because they see the value of the SEC BRAND, not southern/cultural solidarity, comradery, or some effort to help strengthen the SEC.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I get it, but do you really give a rat's behind if they play or not? I know I couldn't care less.
As a college football fan, yes. Now, no I don't care more than I do for whatever Alabama is doing. So of course I would not care about or watch the game if Alabama was playing at the same time. But if they played it on Thanksgiving night as they have in the past, or on Black Friday afternoon, yes I'm watching.

In fact, I'd watch it over whatever NFL game might be played at the same time, as they now do a triple header on Thanksgiving.

But in the grand scheme, I'm not trying to suggest it's some all important thing.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
As a college football fan, yes. Now, no I don't care more than I do for whatever Alabama is doing. So of course I would not care about or watch the game if Alabama was playing at the same time. But if they played it on Thanksgiving night as they have in the past, or on Black Friday afternoon, yes I'm watching.

In fact, I'd watch it over whatever NFL game might be played at the same time, as they now do a triple header on Thanksgiving.

But in the grand scheme, I'm not trying to suggest it's some all important thing.
aTm vs Texas is one of the worst rivalries in the P5. It’s incredibly one sided. But maybe the break makes it a little interesting. Maybe our Texan Bama fans (@selmaborntidefan and @TexasBama) can point to a time where it was competitive. I briefly lived in Texas and in Big XII country when Nebraska was in it. And I can honestly say the rivalries everyone really talked about were OU-Texas, OU-Nebraska, and Kansas-Mizzou.

More or less it was slightly better than OU-Oklahoma St.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
aTm vs Texas is one of the worst rivalries in the P5. It’s incredibly one sided. But maybe the break makes it a little interesting. Maybe our Texan Bama fans (@selmaborntidefan and @TexasBama) can point to a time where it was competitive. I briefly lived in Texas and in Big XII country when Nebraska was in it. And I can honestly say the rivalries everyone really talked about were OU-Texas, OU-Nebraska, and Kansas-Mizzou.
Like Texas's rivalry with Oklahoma, a lot of the lopsidedness was created in the early years of the games. Since 1975, A&M leads the series 19-18 if I count correctly, and at some point during that time frame is when A&M became a co-ed University. Yes... I realize this is a similar argument we've heard from Auburn fans about the Iron Bowl. The difference is there was no 40 year interruption in the series between A&M and Texas.

IMO, it was always a fun game to watch after Thanksgiving. For me, growing up in the 1990s, that and Nebraska/Colorado were the great games being played on that Friday, or the next Saturday morning leading into the Iron later Saturday afternoon or evening.

I realize OU/Texas was bigger. It's always been bigger. Kansas/MIzzou? I've never once cared about that game except the one year they were both top 5 teams. 2007? The crazy year that LSU won the NC with 2 losses. Otherwise, I've never even noticed it was being played. But I realize the two sides hate one another going all the way back to the Civil War.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Like Texas's rivalry with Oklahoma, a lot of the lopsidedness was created in the early years of the games. Since 1975, A&M leads the series 19-18 if I count correctly, and at some point during that time frame is when A&M became a co-ed University. Yes... I realize this is a similar argument we've heard from Auburn fans about the Iron Bowl. The difference is there was no 40 year interruption in the series between A&M and Texas.

IMO, it was always a fun game to watch after Thanksgiving. For me, growing up in the 1990s, that and Nebraska/Colorado were the great games being played on that Friday, or the next Saturday morning leading into the Iron later Saturday afternoon or evening.

I realize OU/Texas was bigger. It's always been bigger. Kansas/MIzzou? I've never once cared about that game except the one year they were both top 5 teams. 2007? The crazy year that LSU won the NC with 2 losses. Otherwise, I've never even noticed it was being played. But I realize the two sides hate one another going all the way back to the Civil War.
Kansas and Missouri got really petty amongst fan bases that I doubt either would want it to resume. But it was a fun game to watch.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

Bama_N_Va

1st Team
Aug 16, 2017
Assuming Texas gets in, I can't see how they keep Texas and aTm in the same division. One of them will cry bigtime...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.