Do You Want Oklahoma And Texas To Join The SEC?

What's your choice?

• Yes

Votes: 49 28.2%
  • No

Votes: 96 55.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 29 16.7%

• Total voters

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Historically we've dominated the SEC, and OU has dominated whatever conference they've been in. Now that we are both in the same conference, something's got to give.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Historically we've dominated the SEC, and OU has dominated whatever conference they've been in. Now that we are both in the same conference, something's got to give.
While Nick Saban is here, the Sooners will give.

When he retires, it really depends on who we replace him with and whether or not Lincoln Riley has moved on to the NFL.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
While Nick Saban is here, the Sooners will give.

When he retires, it really depends on who we replace him with and whether or not Lincoln Riley has moved on to the NFL.
I like Riley. He is a guy that when Nick Saban retires that we would at least make a phone call to him. I just have a feeling he has eyes on an NFL job before he would consider another college job.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
I like Riley. He is a guy that when Nick Saban retires that we would at least make a phone call to him. I just have a feeling he has eyes on an NFL job before he would consider another college job.
No coach is going to want to be the one that replaces Saban. I feel sorry for whoever ends up with the job. Our fan base can be a little over the top.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Oklahoma to Alabama is a lateral move. I would think the NFL would be his only other career consideration at this point.

Last edited:

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
No coach is going to want to be the one that replaces Saban. I feel sorry for whoever ends up with the job. Our fan base can be a little over the top.
It's going to be hard to find a Ray Perkins clone to follow Coach Saban, Perkins was probably one of the few to have a thick enough hide to follow Coach Bryant and survive.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
This moves seems like a poker move, where you don't know what the other player is holding. I can see this addition causing major issues in the SEC if no other conference really answers the SEC's move. What are the likely outcomes of expanding the SEC, besides having even more money?

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
If CNS coaches 9 more years...and I think he will...the person who follows him may not even be on the radar screen at present.

And no, I did not want OU and UT to join. I've already encountered a UT lowlife on Twitter asking fans of SEC schools to send him dirt on each other. This is a downhill run, I'm afraid...
Twitter is such a cess pool. Combine that with UT fans, and well, you know what you get.

C2Ag93

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 25, 2021
I get it, but do you really give a rat's behind if they play or not? I know I couldn't care less.
And funny thing is, we Aggie fans mostly feel the same about the Texas A&M - Texas game coming back. There's such a divided feeling about it that it renders you not even caring, or wish you didn't even have the choice still so you didn't have to think about it. Romantically, I miss the tradition, it was storied. But damn, you can only take so much of their fans. Then, after experiencing what it really should be like (in the SEC), you don't really want to go back...

I couldn't really answer the poll. I feel that we're forced to make this decision simply by the forces of conference realignment. We knew when we left the Big 12 it was doomed. I am only shocked it took this long for it to finally collapse. So that said, I am (throwing up in my mouth a little bit...) "fine" with UTex and OU joining. It was going to be someone. If I was "King of Conference Realignment", I would have been fine with OU joining, and then selected another major program on the east (Clemson).

I'll miss playing Bama and Auburn. Not sure yet how this will align. But pretty safe bet Bama and Auburn go to the east. Just hate the west feeling more like an eerie remix of the SWC / Big 12 / SEC. OU and A&M never really formed any kind of rivalry, so no real feeling of it being a "traditional" game for us. We just weren't in the Big 12 long enough I guess for it to feel like anything other than playing Nebraska or oSu, Kansas or KSU.

Any chance Bama can stay in the West, send Auburn and Arky to the East? That way Arkansas and Missouri can be a natural rival. If they would still do one game with a rival school from the other division, Bama and Auburn could still play. Or maybe we can put Texas in the east? I mean, they would be the farthest SEC school west, so you could argue they're really east ;-)

Reactions: TideEngineer08

C2Ag93

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 25, 2021
Well......this is a different animal.

You have to remember that Texas absolutely pwned ATM prior to 1975. That's about the time they went coed BUT ALSO that's very close to the time of the 1976 scholarship limitations that were designed to balance things out. Remember - Texas had a COLOSSAL advantage over the Aggies when there were no restrictions because who wanted to go to an all-male campus?

Things also changed when Jackie Sherrill became the Aggies coach in 1982. He took over, well, not a train wreck but a high speed interstate collision. Remember - Texas finished #2 in the AP poll at the end of the 1981 season, right behind Clemson. Sherrill's team - Pitt - finished #2 in the UPI poll. He then got this mammoth offer to come revive the Aggies - and he did, too.

In 1984, Texas was #1 in the country in October. Sherrill's Aggies beat them the next six years, five with Sherrill as the coach.

It was an excellent rivalry in the Sherill years:

Scores starting in 1986
Aggies, 16-3
Aggies, 20-13
Aggies, 28-24
Aggies, 21-10,
Longhorns, 28-27

then it devolved into blowouts.

Here's your parallel:

Texas' REAL rival is Oklahoma just like Alabama's REAL rival was/is/will be Tennessee.
ATM kinda jumped in there sorta like Auburn did when the teams had to play, though I'd rank Auburn well ahead of ATM in competitiveness most years they lose, scintillating moments, and championships.

Since leaving the SWC, the Aggies have ONE conference championship - and that was an absolute fluke when Kansas St was the better team but failed to seal the deal. They lost that game more than ATM won it.

You're Okie State analogy is pretty much dead on.
On the question of A&M's competitiveness vs UTex, selmaborntidefan already beat me to it.

Teasips constantly rib us about the "overall" record. It just shows their ignorance and brings to light their own antics and downfall (arrogance wouldn't allow them to see how to view conference members, now look at them...)

I am not at all worried about UTex joining the SEC in terms of recruiting against them. We did it before and are in even better position today to stay ahead of them. We are the larger university in Texas now. Who knows if they will surpass us in revenue and profit after they join the SEC, but we now lead in that stat as well. So if we matched up well in the SWC and Big 12 (though we were down a bit, suffering under Franchione and Sherman), we'll be fine with them in the SEC in terms of recruiting, funds, support, etc.

But the point selmaborntidefan made is 100% spot on. For anyone that looks at the overall record of the A&M/UTex rivalry, where Texas won about 70%, to form a conclusion you're deluding yourself.

Until 1965, A&M was an all-male military institute, Corps of Cadets participation and membership was mandatory. As you likely know, it wasn't just "ROTC", it was more like VMI, West Point, Annapolis, the Citadel, etc. (still is today for current cadets, a 24/7 uniformed and outfit living experience). Women were allowed in around 1971 with the first graduating classes including women in 1975. If you start the clock on the rivalry at that point, Texas A&M and Texas are dead even on games.

We were fine then, we'll be more than fine going forward. I think most Aggies will still circle the Bama game on the calendar in 2025 and forward, than the Texas game.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

C2Ag93

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 25, 2021
As a native Oklahoman and OU fan, I look forward to the Sooners joining the SEC, undoubtedly the top conference in college football. OU has never tried to "run" the Big XII; the Sooners, quite simply, dominate that league with their on-field performance. The claims by some posters that Oklahoma will get slapped around and put in its place in the SEC is amusing. That may be true if you're referring strictly to Bama, the undisputed best team in college football for at least the past decade. But it's also true that if OU played every SEC school this season (2021), the Sooners would likely be favored in every game except Alabama. Of course, the landscape may look entirely different if OU/UT are forced to wait until 2025 or later to join the SEC. By that time, Lincoln Riley may be in the NFL, CNS may be sipping piña coladas on some Pacific island beach, and (gasp) aTm or Arkansas might be the new king of college football.

While some of what I typed above was done with my tongue planted firmly in cheek, I'm being totally serious when I say that OU should never be mentioned in the same breath with UT when arrogance and entitlement are the topics. I believe Oklahoma is a great fit for the SEC and will make the conference proud to call them a member of your exclusive club.
As an Aggie, I approve at least the part about not comparing them to the teasips. No ill feelings toward the Sooners. We had some good games in the Big 12. I still recall one classic at Kyle Field, one we lost, but the game was so amazing, with some back an forth, and Jamaar Toombs carrying a couple Sooners on his back into the endzone. A real classic.

I wouldn't say Aggies love or dislike Sooners, but I can vouch that I had generally positive experiences with them in College Station and Norman, and welcome them to the SEC.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
And funny thing is, we Aggie fans mostly feel the same about the Texas A&M - Texas game coming back. There's such a divided feeling about it that it renders you not even caring, or wish you didn't even have the choice still so you didn't have to think about it. Romantically, I miss the tradition, it was storied. But damn, you can only take so much of their fans. Then, after experiencing what it really should be like (in the SEC), you don't really want to go back...

I couldn't really answer the poll. I feel that we're forced to make this decision simply by the forces of conference realignment. We knew when we left the Big 12 it was doomed. I am only shocked it took this long for it to finally collapse. So that said, I am (throwing up in my mouth a little bit...) "fine" with UTex and OU joining. It was going to be someone. If I was "King of Conference Realignment", I would have been fine with OU joining, and then selected another major program on the east (Clemson).

I'll miss playing Bama and Auburn. Not sure yet how this will align. But pretty safe bet Bama and Auburn go to the east. Just hate the west feeling more like an eerie remix of the SWC / Big 12 / SEC. OU and A&M never really formed any kind of rivalry, so no real feeling of it being a "traditional" game for us. We just weren't in the Big 12 long enough I guess for it to feel like anything other than playing Nebraska or oSu, Kansas or KSU.

Any chance Bama can stay in the West, send Auburn and Arky to the East? That way Arkansas and Missouri can be a natural rival. If they would still do one game with a rival school from the other division, Bama and Auburn could still play. Or maybe we can put Texas in the east? I mean, they would be the farthest SEC school west, so you could argue they're really east ;-)
Maybe they won't do divisions at all. It's no longer required in order to stage a championship game (thank you Big 12), and it would fix the rotation easier than any division set up will.

Reactions: C2Ag93

scrybe

3rd Team
Sep 6, 2019
As an Aggie, I approve at least the part about not comparing them to the teasips. No ill feelings toward the Sooners. We had some good games in the Big 12. I still recall one classic at Kyle Field, one we lost, but the game was so amazing, with some back an forth, and Jamaar Toombs carrying a couple Sooners on his back into the endzone. A real classic.

I wouldn't say Aggies love or dislike Sooners, but I can vouch that I had generally positive experiences with them in College Station and Norman, and welcome them to the SEC.
No ill feelings here either, with the possible exception of that Johnny Football game (of course, the 77-0 meeting in Norman helps ease that pain, so maybe we can call it even). And, yes, that 2000 game was, indeed, a classic. Ags came closer than anyone else of derailing that Sooner NC express.

Here's hoping you guys go 1-1 against the new guys in their first season in the SEC.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.