Does Upchurch or Marquis Johnson have an NFL future?

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
When healthy, I've always thought Upchurch was a pretty good runningback. Unfortunately, there have been two guys ahead of him the last two years (Coffee/Ingram in '08 and Ingram/Richardson in '09) that got the lion's share of the carries. I doubt he is drafted, but I could definetely see him catching on as an undrafted free agent.

The same goes for Marquis Johnson. I thought he really elevated his game this year, and had some really nice break-ups at key moments.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Just my opinion, but I think Upchurch goes undrafted and MJ goes sometime in the late 5th, early 6th round.
That's probably a pretty good guess. I think Roy, if he can hold together, has a future as a ST player, if nothing else. It's hard for a RB to get recognition, when he doesn't get PT, for whatever reason, and harder yet to live down the "injury-prone" tag. Most of the starters and backups at RB in the NFL are guys the teams have a sizable investment in. It's hard, but not unknown, for an outsider to elbow his way in...

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
When healthy, I've always thought Upchurch was a pretty good runningback. Unfortunately, there have been two guys ahead of him the last two years (Coffee/Ingram in '08 and Ingram/Richardson in '09) that got the lion's share of the carries. I doubt he is drafted, but I could definetely see him catching on as an undrafted free agent.

The same goes for Marquis Johnson. I thought he really elevated his game this year, and had some really nice break-ups at key moments.
Nice thread. I think Upchurch could make a good pro RB if given the chance in the right offense. He specializes in pass blocking and receiving. An offense that runs a lot of screens and passes 70% of time like the Colts or 49er's this year.
I think Marquis will be one of those surprisingly good pros. He may start out on special teams, but he is a hard worker and I think will earn a spot eventually.

37bamagrl

All-American
May 6, 2003
Foley, AL
Heard Mel Kiper on the radio one day and they asked him who on both teams (texas) that we don't know a lot about is the best NFL prospect - and he said Roy Upchurch for us.

Bear Disciple

1st Team
Oct 27, 2009
Tuscaloosa, AL
I don't know about Marquis' size, but if he can compete being 5'11", then he definitely has an NFL future in my opinion. He is as good as any player in the country with a one on one lob, and I remember him knocking down every pass thrown his way, including Gilbert's bomb in the NC game that everyone says the receiver dropped. I, for one, am pretty sure he got a piece of it. I sure hope he at least gets a shot.

As for Upchurch, I don't really remember seeing him much, I know he didn't get much PT, but I would hope he gets a chance too. From what I've seen, he has great talent and ability, and he'll literally run over ya like against VaTech! :)

Bud

3rd Team
Jul 25, 2000
Jacksonville, FL. USA
I hope Roy can find a squad and stay healthy. I think (hope) he can play at the next level.

About MJ...I remember thinking... Deshea Townsend would he really make it as a pro? What ever he's was missing (from my uneducated perception) was definitely made up for in instincts and IMPECCABLE timing. I don't know if MJ will make it at the next level, but he does have perfect timing. He may get beat, but not so much that a swipe - just as the ball gets there - to break up the play. Everyone remembers him being picked on against USCe but his game against MSU was quite easily one of the best defensive performances of a career (deion wasn't that good in a game) With out a couple of his break ups on perfectly thrown passes...we are in a much much closer game

mjstide

1st Team
Nov 20, 2005
Fort Walton Beach, FL
Heard Mel Kiper on the radio one day and they asked him who on both teams (texas) that we don't know a lot about is the best NFL prospect - and he said Roy Upchurch for us.
Just to second this. Mel has mentioned a couple times on his radio show that he believes that Roy will go in the late rounds and possibly be an NFL starter in his career. He mentions it very briefly in this chat, otherwise it is just on the radio so i dont have a link.

Mel Kiper Just click and go a little more than half way down the page to his post at 1:39 pm

tru2thaduce

All-SEC
Nov 25, 2005
Wichita,Kansas
I'm an Upchurch believer.He can make a team as a special teams player and make a mark when given an oppertunity to carry the ball.The way backs go down in the NFL he could end up being a valueable diamond in the rough.I'll never forget his runs against VT in the opener.Some of the best all season.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I hope Roy can find a squad and stay healthy. I think (hope) he can play at the next level.

About MJ...I remember thinking... Deshea Townsend would he really make it as a pro? What ever he's was missing (from my uneducated perception) was definitely made up for in instincts and IMPECCABLE timing. I don't know if MJ will make it at the next level, but he does have perfect timing. He may get beat, but not so much that a swipe - just as the ball gets there - to break up the play. Everyone remembers him being picked on against USCe but his game against MSU was quite easily one of the best defensive performances of a career (deion wasn't that good in a game) With out a couple of his break ups on perfectly thrown passes...we are in a much much closer game
I agree. MJ played out of his mind down the stretch. He actually defended and picked off a pick off by Barron in the MSU game. Mark really wasn't that happy about it either!:)
Posted via Mobile Device

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Roy can block, and catch a pass. He can be a bull if he's got blocking.
Marquis earned a good look by the pros, when teams kept throwing against him into the endzone. He has stepped up his game this year.

Both should play on Sundays.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.