Doubting Alabama and predicting Alabama's downfall only makes you look foolish (Josh Pate 1-18 segment)

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
That season there was a borderline revolt in the locker room as some of the players felt the team was being handicapped by playing Hurts instead of Tua. I'm told Locksley was the savior in that situation, able to keep the peace and keep the team from fragmenting.
I also heard that...from here but also other places. We had such talented WR's and JH could not find them...he would look, then pull it down and run to the right. I don't see this as selfishness as much as reality...too much talent to ignore the obvious deficiency at QB.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
That season there was a borderline revolt in the locker room as some of the players felt the team was being handicapped by playing Hurts instead of Tua. I'm told Locksley was the savior in that situation, able to keep the peace and keep the team from fragmenting.

ETA: my mistake, I was thinking of the 2017 season. The above is incorrect wrt 2018.
It almost happened again in 2018.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
What's this business about internal struggles and problems with the 2018 team?
For one thing the coaching staff was more concerned about personal glory than winning a championship. Especially on the offense. Locks, Enos, and Gattis were never Alabama first guys.

There was reported a lot of locker room issues as well. It really wasn’t a team that really was geared towards the goal of winning a championship. I know for a fact that they acted very confident and didn’t take opponents seriously. There has been several people to report this.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
For one thing the coaching staff was more concerned about personal glory than winning a championship. Especially on the offense. Locks, Enos, and Gattis were never Alabama first guys.

There was reported a lot of locker room issues as well. It really wasn’t a team that really was geared towards the goal of winning a championship. I know for a fact that they acted very confident and didn’t take opponents seriously. There has been several people to report this.
Surprised to hear this about Locksley. At least publicly, he has been very respectful towards Saban and Alabama. Even though the offense underperformed (in terms of points not yards) in the Clemson game, Locksley reportedly and supposedly had dedicated himself to his OC duties rather than his new job at Maryland. He was also credited with helping soothe the feelings of the WR room over the Hurts/Tua situation. I felt he was somewhat limited (overly dependent on RPOs) as an OC but that he did his best and have considered his departure one of the more honorable ones. But I have no inside info, my view being formed only from public articles, opinions of other msg board posters, etc.

Reactions: Padreruf

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
The problem wasn't the team in 2018. It was the coaches that couldn't wait to move on to what they thought were better opportunities. They weren't concerned too much about winning the game. That is where Sark was different.

• Thank You
Reactions: bvandegraff

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Klatt after the Ole Miss loss in BDS. To his credit, he later ate several helpings of crow publicly.

Herbstreit when Cochran left — Herbstreit said it was an “existential’ threat to the program. Rhea and Ballou say hello.

Wishful thinking is part of it. The other part is incredibly cynical. They want to be the first to call the demise of the Alabama dynasty. If they’re right (and a stopped clock is right twice a day), they will trumpet it to the heavens. If they’re wrong (and they usually are), they are counting on the general public’s attention span measured in nano-seconds to forget they ever said anything at all.
You are correct, of course, but we also have to think that those people are saying those things because it is based on what they have seen before when programs start to slip. It is another tribute to Coach Saban because he has faced a lot of different issues during his time and has still kept our program on top. It has been an amazing run, and I hope it continues for several more years.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
You are correct, of course, but we also have to think that those people are saying those things because it is based on what they have seen before when programs start to slip. It is another tribute to Coach Saban because he has faced a lot of different issues during his time and has still kept our program on top. It has been an amazing run, and I hope it continues for several more years.
That may be part of it but a lot of it is wishful thinking. Bama's success is a nightmare to many.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
As Mark Twain said, the news of my death have been greatly exaggerated LOL. Saban is the cat, he has 9 lives. so he has 2 left, 7 titles took 7 lives, so he will retire with 9 titles hehe.

Roll Tide 00

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007
I wish I could find audio of Colin Cowherd saying how Gus Malzahn was going to "own" Alabama for years to come after the 2013 Ironbowl.One of the most ridiculous takes I have ever heard.Where's all that Gus Malzahn praise these days?Probably the biggest WHERE COLIN WAS WRONG!! ever!

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
He talks out of both sides of his mouth about Saban and Alabama. One minute he loves them, the next he is saying something negative.
It's how he gets ratings. Create tension with everyone in your audience and they'll tune in just to argue with him by themselves in the car while riding down the road, ha! Then come to places like here and post about him. His method works for his business. I don't mind him and find him entertaining.

Stephen77

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 5, 2021
It's how he gets ratings. Create tension with everyone in your audience and they'll tune in just to argue with him by themselves in the car while riding down the road, ha! Then come to places like here and post about him. His method works for his business. I don't mind him and find him entertaining.
[/QUOT
This method seems to have worked quite well for Finebaum, too, 😀
This formula has worked quite well for Finebaum over the years, too. 😊

Reactions: B1GTide

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
He talks out of both sides of his mouth about Saban and Alabama. One minute he loves them, the next he is saying something negative.
Trolling Bama fans is a lazy way for talking heads/columnists to get some quick buzz/attention/clicks/ratings. Although it does seem to be getting way past the point of diminishing returns. Danny Kanell is harder to find these days than Carmen Sandiego.....

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
What makes Nick Saban different is that he truly care about the mission more than the results. The results are nice and make no mistake he wants to win, but the mission (process) is what drives him. With all these other coaches, lose a game like that 2015 Ole Miss game, and it shakes them to the core. It bleeds into the next week and the next. Suddenly one loss turns into three, the season is ruined, and the next season suffers from the hangover. With CNS, he just goes to work the next day because nothing has changed. The process must go on as planned.

That’s why these talking heads always get it wrong. They still don’t understand what truly makes Nick Saban tick. He’s just going to keep coming back to work everyday, working to make that day the best possible day it can be. He does not get rattled.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Trolling Bama fans is a lazy way for talking heads/columnists to get some quick buzz/attention/clicks/ratings. Although it does seem to be getting way past the point of diminishing returns. Danny Kanell is harder to find these days than Carmen Sandiego.....
Kannell was just trying to be the contrarian that Finebaum and Bayless are. The problem is that he went way too hard and didn’t allow it to seem like he truly believes what he says.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.