Down Time - Question

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
So, we have a week until the conference championship games are played. Does Alabama practice this week? Is it allowed? I assume that the coaches are focused on recruiting, but what are the players doing?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Never mind - found my answer. Per ESPN:

NCAA rules allow bowl teams to practice or hold other athletic activities up to four hours per day or 20 hours per week between the end of the regular season and a bowl game.
So Alabama can practice as much this week as any team playing in a conference championship game. Wonder if they will be.

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
As I understand it, non playoff bowl preparations can be as much about giving looks to next year's guys as they are about playing the actual game. Though in Alabama's case, with still a chance to make the playoffs, I'm sure the focus is all on this year.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Saban has said in the past that he focuses on fundamentals until 7-10 days before the game, so they must be doing that now.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
I would almost bet the team was given a couple days off and will be just working out, running, conditioning until after the weekend.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Basically it gives the team a chance to hit the reset button. Much needed in this scenario in my opinion. Get healthy, work on their issues, and this could set things up like the 2011 season, or perhaps 2010.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Never mind - found my answer. Per ESPN:

So Alabama can practice as much this week as any team playing in a conference championship game. Wonder if they will be.
My guess, and it's strictly that is that he'll give the players a few days off to heal up a bit. We are a horribly banged up unit that needs to get well

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Saban has said in the past that he focuses on fundamentals until 7-10 days before the game, so they must be doing that now.
I would like to see more WRAP EM UP TACKLES... Bumping them to try and knock them down doesn't always get the job done.
(Yep... I'm Old School) Tackle them.

Last edited:

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Maybe the staff will watch film and alter future playcalling to focus on spreading the wealth.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I hope they put an anchor on Hurts and make him do nothing but hand the ball off and pass during practices.
Why an anchor. I want Hurts to do whatever is necessary to win.
I said it last year. Hurts didn't lose to Clemson... Our Defense run out of gas, and our temp. OC called a poor game. He forgot we have Running Backs... Same goes for the Iron Bowl... Harris got 5 carries. Gimme a break...
Jalen didn't have a good game against Auburn, but they had a little to do with that.
Auburn spent as much time in our backfield as Hurts did. Hurts was running for his life half the game. While we got some of our injured back for the game, they weren't close to 100%... and looked it. I would hope our OC spends some time going over 'College Football' and gives the running game a chance to develop.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.