DR. FAUCI statement. Hate to be Debbie Downer, but

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

We have GOT to get serious about this pandemic and reality in general. Wear your masks when around other people; not for your safety but for theirs. (Especially you young folks!) Stop hugging, shaking hands and generally breathing on each other/everyone you see. You're spreading it around and bringing it home to kill the ones you love.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

We have GOT to get serious about this pandemic and reality in general. Wear your masks when around other people; not for your safety but for theirs. (Especially you young folks!) Stop hugging, shaking hands and generally breathing on each other/everyone you see. You're spreading it around and bringing it home to kill the ones you love.
I just saw in that article that Kareem Jackson was one of the NFL players to get Covid.

Reactions: B1GTide

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013
Not only would the players have to be in a bubble, but so would the coaches, officials, chain crew, ball personnel, trainers, clock operators, statisticians, and anyone else who may be in the press box or on the field. If the goal is zero spread. If that's the goal there is no sense in starting the season because it won't happen no matter what they do.

I really hope we have football as normal as possible with fans in the stands. I understand the risks and concerns and they are valid. But we also can't shut down everything and not have bad consequences.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Not only would the players have to be in a bubble, but so would the coaches, officials, chain crew, ball personnel, trainers, clock operators, statisticians, and anyone else who may be in the press box or on the field. If the goal is zero spread. If that's the goal there is no sense in starting the season because it won't happen no matter what they do.

I really hope we have football as normal as possible with fans in the stands. I understand the risks and concerns and they are valid. But we also can't shut down everything and not have bad consequences.
When the Bundesliga opened back up, one of the protocols was that the visiting team would be in quarantine at a hotel in the city of the team they're playing against. One of these teams had hired a brand new manager just before Germany shut down due to Covid-19. As he's getting ready for his first match, he realized that he forgotten toothpaste, and walked out of the team hotel and went down the street to a drug store/CVS-type establishment. The Bundesliga found out, and barred him from attending the match in the stadium because of this mistake. It's insane, but that's how far they were going to ensure that the match happened. I suspect the same will have to happen in American pro and college sports, for now at least. Good luck to the PTB to ensure that it happens.

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa

My biggest problem is folks ARE NOT EVEN TRYING! No one in Tuscaloosa wears a mask unless they work at McDonalds. We're just begging for it.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA

honestly, no offense intended, but I believe that football is very far down the list of "everything" that is necessary to function during the pandemic.

we can all agree to disagree, but I think playing in the fall is a bad idea.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
People don't care anymore. Right or wrong I'm just stating the fact. I'm still very cautious, but many aren't. People have decided that they are willing to live with the risk. There will be no more lockdowns. I don't believe people will be told what to do anymore. They can cancel the football season, NFL, MLB, and every other league, but people will just go do something else. We are now going for herd immunity whether the government or anyone else likes it or not. It's gonna be a wild ride.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
My biggest problem is folks ARE NOT EVEN TRYING! No one in Tuscaloosa wears a mask unless they work at McDonalds. We're just begging for it.
Few if any mask in much of North Alabama. Lots of the employees are masked, but most customers are not.
Gadsden, Oxford, Boaz, Albertville
Lot of folks taking a lot of risk.
I have waited since March for surgery, finally getting a TKR July 15. Unless some of these folks get me or my Doctors infected.
Unless yahoo's keep with the violations, and the hospitals stop Elective Surgery, AGAIN...
I have everything to gain by wearing my mask, and nothing to lose. HOPING FOR THE BEST.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
honestly, no offense intended, but I believe that football is very far down the list of "everything" that is necessary to function during the pandemic.

we can all agree to disagree, but I think playing in the fall is a bad idea.
100% agree in the sense that football isn’t life or death. If we start seeing significantly higher rates of death, or an expanded global presence of the virus similar to the original outbreak, then I would absolutely agree that sports would be the least of our concerns.

From a purely economic standpoint though, I think football is higher on the list than you think. Think about how many business in Tuscaloosa and other smaller college towns across the country are driven by weekends in the fall. Not just the brick and mortar establishments that are at risk of going under, but even the people who have important side sources of income that rely on people coming into town for game day. Even if we only see a shortened season with half capacity, it could make a huge financial difference for millions of Americans across the country.

I’m coming to the conclusion that it’s not realistic to hope for packed stadiums of 100k screaming fans like we’re accustomed to. But for the sake of the economy of small towns across the country, we need to see at least a minimized version of that.

Reactions: dtgreg

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
100% agree in the sense that football isn’t life or death. If we start seeing significantly higher rates of death, or an expanded global presence of the virus similar to the original outbreak, then I would absolutely agree that sports would be the least of our concerns.

From a purely economic standpoint though, I think football is higher on the list than you think. Think about how many business in Tuscaloosa and other smaller college towns across the country are driven by weekends in the fall. Not just the brick and mortar establishments that are at risk of going under, but even the people who have important side sources of income that rely on people coming into town for game day. Even if we only see a shortened season with half capacity, it could make a huge financial difference for millions of Americans across the country.

I’m coming to the conclusion that it’s not realistic to hope for packed stadiums of 100k screaming fans like we’re accustomed to. But for the sake of the economy of small towns across the country, we need to see at least a minimized version of that.
i just don't see how a place like BD Stadium can be more than 1/4 full...but I guess that's better than nothing.

Tubafore

Scout Team
Dec 13, 2018
Huntsville, AL
The issue I see with stadiums (and movie theaters) is how to accomplish social distancing. The lazy/easiest method would be a seat with a 6' radius of empty seats around it. So you'd see each row about 1/4 full assuming 18" wide seats (for easy math). The view from the stands would be stellar, but it wouldn't be efficient sales-wise for the stadium.

Families don't need to social distance from their own members (meaning, I don't need to social distance from my wife if we go somewhere, just as an example). So you could have large groups of people sitting together, and have the whole group separated by 6'. That would be logistical nightmare to get it all setup, but would get more people in the stands.

Certainly I don't know the solution...makes me wonder how they'll address seating.

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
People don't care anymore. Right or wrong I'm just stating the fact. I'm still very cautious, but many aren't. People have decided that they are willing to live with the risk. There will be no more lockdowns. I don't believe people will be told what to do anymore. They can cancel the football season, NFL, MLB, and every other league, but people will just go do something else. We are now going for herd immunity whether the government or anyone else likes it or not. It's gonna be a wild ride.
Problem is there may be No Such Thing as "Herd Immunity". We don't have herd immunity for the common cold virus. That's a coronavirus, as well. This thing's 13 times deadlier than the flu. So, no vaccine (again, no cold vaccine) and no immunity and, well...

Guido

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2017
Problem is there may be No Such Thing as "Herd Immunity". We don't have herd immunity for the common cold virus. That's a coronavirus, as well. This thing's 13 times deadlier than the flu. So, no vaccine (again, no cold vaccine) and no immunity and,E]

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.