DT's

ihatefulmer

All-American
Jan 26, 2004
Scottsboro
Are we after any true DT's this year? When i say true i mean any who are 290+ and who could come in and play right away. I think last year we signed 1 300 pounder and several who were around 270 and were more DE size. Personally I like those big hogs to plug the middle.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Jermarcus Ricks is the only true DT we are after right now. Motley, if he goes to the D-line, will need to put on about 20 lbs or so.

Michael Goggans will likely grow into a DT after starting out at end. He needs to put on a bit of weight, but has the frame.

I don't know if we'll see another Anthony Bryant DT any time soon, but Byron Walton is a big boy.

Our next DT's will likely be Washington, Walton, and maybe Fanney. All are/will be in that 280-290 range and a little more lean. Which is fine b/c the are more agile and will usually play at a good pad level. Walton will play around 300.

ihatefulmer

All-American
Jan 26, 2004
Scottsboro
runtheoption22 said:
Jermarcus Ricks is the only true DT we are after right now. Motley, if he goes to the D-line, will need to put on about 20 lbs or so.

Michael Goggans will likely grow into a DT after starting out at end. He needs to put on a bit of weight, but has the frame.

I don't know if we'll see another Anthony Bryant DT any time soon, but Byron Walton is a big boy.

Our next DT's will likely be Washington, Walton, and maybe Fanney. All are/will be in that 280-290 range and a little more lean. Which is fine b/c the are more agile and will usually play at a good pad level. Walton will play around 300.

but Byron Walton is a big boy.
H e was the 1 I was talking about last year just couldn't think of his name.

Our next DT's will likely be Washington, Walton, and maybe Fanney. All are/will be in that 280-290 range and a little more lean

Is this Shula and Co. thinking? Do they prefer the lighter DT's or is this just the commits we have got are under 300?

Roll_Tide_Gal

1st Team
Jul 15, 2004
Oak Grove, Alabama
IF the rumors about Curtis Dawson are true, he would be back and playing at about 290, with good quickness and REALLY good weight room numbers.

RE: the coaches' philosophy about DT

I think it is just a matter of statistics. There are more 280 pound guys that can put on a few pounds and retain their quickness than there are 320 pound guys that are athletic enough to be effective. 320 pound guys are generally much harder to keep in good condition, whereas a steady rotation of 5-6 280-290 pounders can stay fresh all game long. Its true that smaller guys don't create the big upfield push that fans love to see, but Bama's defensive philosophy isn't built around that.

Last edited:

Crimson Surfer

News|BB|FB|REC, Super Moderator
Jul 14, 2001
Henderson, NV
I have heard some talk that LB commit Charlie Kirschman may be destined for the DL. He is 6' 3", 225 right now so his future position would most likely be DE and not DT though.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Most of these guys were DEs in HS and are being built up. You could argue that all of last year's guys could play DT. Washington, Fanney, Walton, Deaderick, and even Greenwood have the frames to put on the weight and move inside. I see Washington, Walton, and maybe Fanney making the move.

uafootball92

1st Team
Sep 21, 2005
St. Charles, Missouri
ihatefulmer said:
Is this Shula and Co. thinking? Do they prefer the lighter DT's or is this just the commits we have got are under 300?
I think he wants the more quicker guys so that they can be more agile and when they get by the OL they can pass rush. Also, as we can remember, Coach Bryant didn't like the big guys. He had smaller guys and still whooped the crap out of the other team.

Latest threads

TideFansStore.com