Dude has .778 blood alcohol content level after DUI arrest ... a record

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
And, in a surprise, it didn’t happen in Florida!

I'm gonna recommend that he never be allowed to drive again - ever.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'm not going to say it's impossible, but given that I run this testing as well, I'd need to know a WHOLE LOT MORE than just what's told here. Now that being said......let's just suppose for the sake of argument the test is skewed and doubled the actual result. That's STILL a .38, which is next-level drunk (I get these all the time, though, about once a month or so).

I'm sure her lawyer will have some fun - probably - with citation after citation of this being impossible ("If this were true, she would be dead").

If I got a result like that, I'd be re-verifying instrument QC and calibration and re-running the sample (probably with multiple dilution factors to get result similarity) before I turned it out.

I reiterate - I'm NOT saying it's impossible or even wrong - I'm just saying my ears perk up with a high level of suspicion.

Let me also add that paper looks a bit suspicious. Range of 0.000?? Most instruments can't test that low, which is why OURS turns out the result of <3.0 for people who haven't been drinking (using the calculation, that's less than .01). And "range", what kind of range? Analytical? Reference? Expected? That also makes a difference.

And I seriously doubt this went to state for testing. It says this happened on FRIDAY - have you EVER known of something drawn on Friday where we have the state tox results on the following Monday?

Based on the other things it says - this guy has priors plus beer cans in the car plus his uh "courage" in trying to outrun the pole-lease, I have no doubt he was drunk as the proverbial skunk. I'm just curious as to how we get from A to B.

Also....how did that result get out in public? What's the protocol and is that okay?

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I'm not going to say it's impossible, but given that I run this testing as well, I'd need to know a WHOLE LOT MORE than just what's told here. Now that being said......let's just suppose for the sake of argument the test is skewed and doubled the actual result. That's STILL a .38, which is next-level drunk (I get these all the time, though, about once a month or so).

I'm sure her lawyer will have some fun - probably - with citation after citation of this being impossible ("If this were true, she would be dead").

If I got a result like that, I'd be re-verifying instrument QC and calibration and re-running the sample (probably with multiple dilution factors to get result similarity) before I turned it out.

I reiterate - I'm NOT saying it's impossible or even wrong - I'm just saying my ears perk up with a high level of suspicion.

Let me also add that paper looks a bit suspicious. Range of 0.000?? Most instruments can't test that low, which is why OURS turns out the result of <3.0 for people who haven't been drinking (using the calculation, that's less than .01). And "range", what kind of range? Analytical? Reference? Expected? That also makes a difference.

And I seriously doubt this went to state for testing. It says this happened on FRIDAY - have you EVER known of something drawn on Friday where we have the state tox results on the following Monday?

Based on the other things it says - this guy has priors plus beer cans in the car plus his uh "courage" in trying to outrun the pole-lease, I have no doubt he was drunk as the proverbial skunk. I'm just curious as to how we get from A to B.

Also....how did that result get out in public? What's the protocol and is that okay?
I don't have your expertise, but red flags went up all over the place...if he really had this level he would not have been conscious from what I know...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The LD50 (lethal dose for 50% of the population) for alcohol is 0.40. I've seen BALs barely over this just a few times in long time alcoholics. It's amazing this guy was alive, much less conscious and driving a vehicle.
OK, doing a little looking, just let me say my "suspicion some laboratory out in the country that doesn't know what it's doing" is running these tests is going bonkers right now.

Of these three high - out of this world results - TWO of them are in RURAL Oregon. Now no offense intended towards anyone BUT.....these labs that are the only labs out in the middle of BFE and oft times their uh validations ain't exactly the best because they can get away with it.

Now - the third one is in Rapid City, but I still have my doubts. That one DID use gas chromatography (the gold standard) but it's also very easy to mess those tests up, too.

Btw......had a .45 VERY recently (read between the lines)......

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
OK, doing a little looking, just let me say my "suspicion some laboratory out in the country that doesn't know what it's doing" is running these tests is going bonkers right now.

Of these three high - out of this world results - TWO of them are in RURAL Oregon. Now no offense intended towards anyone BUT.....these labs that are the only labs out in the middle of BFE and oft times their uh validations ain't exactly the best because they can get away with it.

Now - the third one is in Rapid City, but I still have my doubts. That one DID use gas chromatography (the gold standard) but it's also very easy to mess those tests up, too.

Btw......had a .45 VERY recently (read between the lines)......
I think I've see one 0.458, IIRC (it's been 7 years, so...). I don't doubt someone screwed up somewhere.

All this talk reminds me of an article a while back about a nondrinker who kept getting arrested for DUI. Turns out he had auto-brewery syndrome/gut fermentation syndrome. Nothing to do with this guy, most likely, but interesting.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.