BREAKING Dwayne Haskins dies @ 24

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
perhaps you should wait until details come out before posting. Your post seems heartless and uncaring. A 24 year old man is dead and it wasn't because he "didn't take uber"
I am neither uncaring nor heartless.
I'm sorry the young man is dead. Full stop.
I wish he had not put himself into a situation in which a dumptruck was driving past him at such a speed that it killed him.
Why was Haskins walking along the side of the road? We don't know. Was he walking on the side facing oncoming traffic? We don't know. If he was walking for exercise, would it not have been better to walk in a park, not on the side of a high-speed road? Had he had one too many and did not want to drive in that state? We don't know.
I'm sorry the young man is dead. He had a future in front of him.

Last edited:

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Odd. Roadside assistance is your friend. :(
Roadside assistance isn’t always your friend. My Jag broke down west of Atlanta and I called RA, they said a truck would be there shortly, after 3 hours and several calls , I waited another hour and decided to limp home on a damaged motor.
He may have already waited and Decided to do Something himself, especially early on a Saturday morning.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I tend to be a solution-oriented personality so when reading about tragic events like this - although I'm very sorry to hear them and sad to hear of this kind of event - there's a part of me trying to apply some kind of reasoning as to why and how it happened and how it may have been avoided.

I guess sometimes sharing one's feelings about the latter part could be interpreted as in poor taste but it's really and truly just how some of us react to such an event, along with our sadness.

I don't know all the details but putting myself in his shoes, I may have done the same thing. And I'm in my 60's...he was a young 24.

Sometimes accidents just happen no matter how illogical they may seem.

Thoughts and prayers to his loved ones at this time of sorrow.

Last edited:

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
I have a wealthy acquaintance in NYC. Her Son wanted to attend the University of Alabama and had enrolled. Returning to the University from holiday he ran out of gas late at night in East Tennessee. While walking to the next exit he was hit and killed by a semi. The driver claimed to not be aware that he had hit someone and continued on until his truck overheated. These are million to one accidents in many cases and live with the families for the remainder of their lives. It is dark, speeds are way to high. It easy to make a fatal mistake or be the victim of someone's complete disregard for the life of others.
What time was it? Was it dark?

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I am neither uncaring nor heartless.
I'm sorry the young man is dead. Full stop.
I wish he had not put himself into a situation in which a dumptruck was driving past him at such a speed that it killed him.
Why was Haskins walking along the side of the road? We don't know. Was he walking on the side facing oncoming traffic? We don't know. If he was walking for exercise, would it not have been better to walk in a park, not on the side of a high-speed road? Had he had one too many and did not want to drive in that state? We don't know.
I'm sorry the young man is dead. He had a future in front of him.
No, you basically took the Gil Brandt stance and blamed him before more of the story came out. Apparently, the story is he ran out of gas and tried to cross the busy road. Now could he have called roadside assistance? Sure. Probably did not think about it and just acted. 24-year old's sometimes do dumb things without thinking it through. When I was 20, I ran out of gas on I-59 (broken gas gauge). This was well before cellphones were a thing. I had to get out and walk down to the exit to a gas station, buy a gas can and gas, walk back and put the gas in the truck. I think I had about $10 on me which in 1995 got you a pretty good amount of gas. I was scared and nervous the whole time. Looking back on it now that was crazy dangerous and I did not have to cross the interstate. I actually got pretty mad at my dad for not telling me beforehand that maybe he needed gas in his truck.

There is another story about a 22-year-old semi-pro football player getting hit by a car while changing a tire.

Reactions: AlexanderFan

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
No, you basically took the Gil Brandt stance and blamed him before more of the story came out. Apparently, the story is he ran out of gas and tried to cross the busy road. Now could he have called roadside assistance? Sure. Probably did not think about it and just acted. 24-year old's sometimes do dumb things without thinking it through. When I was 20, I ran out of gas on I-59 (broken gas gauge). This was well before cellphones were a thing. I had to get out and walk down to the exit to a gas station, buy a gas can and gas, walk back and put the gas in the truck. I think I had about $10 on me which in 1995 got you a pretty good amount of gas. I was scared and nervous the whole time. Looking back on it now that was crazy dangerous and I did not have to cross the interstate. I actually got pretty mad at my dad for not telling me beforehand that maybe he needed gas in his truck.

There is another story about a 22-year-old semi-pro football player getting hit by a car while changing a tire.
If your gas went in the truck on the side facing the interstate I imagine filling it up from the can was quite nerve racking.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Idk why we are picking this apart so much.

Terrible news and I hope his family and anyone close to him are okay
Exactly it is final. Family and friends will live in denial for a period of time and then live with the pain of missing for the remainder of their lives. Deaths like this occur by the thousands every year. A large percentage of them young people. In many cases due to the fact that they are out at times of the day when nothing good ever happens. All of them had a future and most were equally important to their loved ones as Haskins was to his. In many cases they may have made a more significant contribution to society than playing football.

Reactions: Bazza

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Exactly it is final. Family and friends will live in denial for a period of time and then live with the pain of missing for the remainder of their lives. Deaths like this occur by the thousands every year. A large percentage of them young people. In many cases due to the fact that they are out at times of the day when nothing good ever happens. All of them had a future and most were equally important to their loved ones as Haskins was to his. In many cases they may have made a more significant contribution to society than playing football.
In this case it was around 6:30am. Maybe going to a morning workout. At that time the interstate would be covered with blue collar workers and a smattering of white collar drivers as well. Very difficult circumstances to cross for sure.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
In this case it was around 6:30am. Maybe going to a morning workout. At that time the interstate would be covered with blue collar workers and a smattering of white collar drivers as well. Very difficult circumstances to cross for sure.
Plus those aren’t 2 lane interstates.

30-40 yards or more wide.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
From USA Today
Haskins was struck by a dump truck while "walking on a limited access (highway) for unknown reasons" near the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport in Broward County, the Florida Highway Patrol said in a press release. The incident happened around 6:37 a.m. on Saturday.

"He was attempting to cross the westbound lanes of Interstate 595 when there was oncoming traffic," FHP spokeswoman Lt. Indiana Miranda said in a statement Saturday. ... [Haskins] was in South Florida this week training and bonding with his teammates in an outing set up by new Steelers quarterback Mitch Trubisky at his Boca Raton home. Running back Najee Harris, tight end Pat Freiermuth, wide receiver Chase Claypool were also in attendance, social media posts from players show.
I just checked. Sunrise was at 0701 Saturday. BMNT started at 0612, so twilight, but not yet sunrise. It does seem like he was en route for a morning workout with teammates.

In the military, look at a mishap like this: 1st, mourn the dead; 2nd, ensure the family is looked after; 3rd, explore why it happened and see if there are changes that can prevent this mishap from happening again.

The third step is not the same as assigning blame. It is about prevention of future mishaps. I was say attempting to cross a multi-lane interstate on foot in the twilight is a pretty risky maneuver.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
From USA Today

I just checked. Sunrise was at 0701 Saturday. BMNT started at 0612, so twilight, but not yet sunrise. It does seem like he was en route for a morning workout with teammates.

In the military, look at a mishap like this: 1st, mourn the dead; 2nd, ensure the family is looked after; 3rd, explore why it happened and see if there are changes that can prevent this mishap from happening again.

The third step is not the same as assigning blame. It is about prevention of future mishaps. I was say attempting to cross a multi-lane interstate on foot in the twilight is a pretty risky maneuver.
The reason it comes across as blame is that the only person who’s activity you would change is Haskins. Haskins didn’t wake up wanting to get ran over by a dump truck (more than likely), so this is a tragic accident

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
The reason it comes across as blame is that the only person who’s activity you would change is Haskins. Haskins didn’t wake up wanting to get ran over by a dump truck (more than likely), so this is a tragic accident
That's a fair point.
I do not know whose behavior besides Haskins' should have changed. Should we ban dump trucks on interstate highways? Was the dump truck driver speeding? Was he impaired? The driver stayed on the scene and the cops checked him out, and no charges were filed (yet), so I do not see that the cops found fault with the truck driver. Is there some other relevant person whose behavior we might want to change?

If a desire to not "blame the victim" means the next guy adopts the same solution as Haskins (running on foot across an interstate in the twilight), then I am wondering why we are so callous about the next victim's death. On the other hand, if declaring running across an interstate in the twilight to be not a wise decision leads to some other young person to avoid that behavior if he runs out of gas, I'm okay with that.

Last edited:

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
I hate reading this kind of news about any person, not just an athlete. Sunrise and sunset are the two most dangerous times to be out walking or biking. May his family and friends find comfort and peace during these difficult days.

Reactions: The Ols

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I had a high school classmate that served time for vehicular manslaughter when he struck and killed a person on the side of I-20 outside Birmingham. The occupant of the vehicle had stepped out to change a flat tire. My classmate had been drinking at the time as well which led to the charges.

My former classmate was tremendously bright and gifted. Had just accepted a scholarship to an Ivy League school. As we know, just because your smart doesn't preclude you from making terrible choices.

One person dead and another with a life ruined. It was tremendously sad.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.