Early look at 2019 class

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Agree with CK`s very last statement in the article.
The inmates won't run the asylum here, at least they haven't in the past.

I think the closest I can remember is that Saban promised Trent Richardson three Jersey number 3 if he came. That's a far cry from a preferred walk-on invite. Who knows where it will go from there? Give my brother a full ride or I walk is a distinct possibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
The inmates won't run the asylum here, at least they haven't in the past.

I think the closest I can remember is that Saban promised Trent Richardson three Jersey number 3 if he came. That's a far cry from a preferred walk-on invite. Who knows where it will go from there? Give my brother a full ride or I walk is a distinct possibility.

For some reason I really didn`t equate this to " inmates running the asylum ". Maybe it would be, IDK.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
For some reason I really didn`t equate this to " inmates running the asylum ". Maybe it would be, IDK.
What exactly is "I'm trying to get my brother into the same school in going to attend, so I'll only be considering schools that will do that" then?

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
The #1 DT Ishmael Sopsher from Amite, LA is trying to get his big brother who is at a JUCO a scholarship also. We typically don't play that game but a preferred walk-on is mentioned in this article.

https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/...-nations-top-defensive-tackle-ishmael-sopsher
I remember Keenan Allen was committed to Bama for a while, then wanted his half brother to come on board with him, but Bama—Saban—wouldn’t or couldn’t do it. It didn’t work out for them at Bama but it did at Cal, and half brother (Zach Maynard) played a good bit and did pretty well. Allen was great at Cal and has been All Pro.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
What exactly is "I'm trying to get my brother into the same school in going to attend, so I'll only be considering schools that will do that" then?
A man trying to help his brother? He knows that someone will take them both and it appears that he is willing to lower his bar to help his brother.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
If they were both 5 star rated that statement wouldn't even get a blink. He thinks his brother is a really good player and said that LSU already showed interest in him before they got on the younger brother. You always see the best in your children and your siblings. Every player I coached parents thought they were the best player on the team. Go figure. Could just really want to play on the same team as his brother to enjoy the college experience and save his parents from having to make a decision on Saturdays.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I think odds are against Sopsher happening for us. Guys finishing up their junior year of HS just don't dictate terms to Nick Saban. Not ever.

Saban will not offer anybody he doesn't think can get playing time in his second year, and start in his third. Even if the athlete in question has a 5* younger brother. Doesn't always work out that way, but that's the thought process on signing day.

Extended families, managers, representatives, handlers, and all manner of other adults purporting to advocate for the athlete's interest are already out of hand. We're fortunate that Saban is so strong he deals with it less than any other coach. But even Saban has to deal with it.

The difference is that he deals with the issue by not playing. Occasionally, one works out....like Keenan Allen. But Saban doesn't alter his fundamental philosophy. For every Allen, there are a lot more that end up under-achieving.

I hope young Mr. Sopsher chooses to spend his collegiate career in Tuscaloosa. But his brother will have to earn his own way into a scholarship, just as Sopsher himself did. Or not.

Either way, Nick Saban doesn't take ultimatums from high school juniors, and I don't imagine he has a lot of patience with the attempt.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Just show the young man our 5* recruiting NFL draft stats and tell him if his brother is that good he'll give him a reasonable look. At this point, if a recruit doesn't believe CNS, it's his loss.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Just show the young man our 5* recruiting NFL draft stats and tell him if his brother is that good he'll give him a reasonable look. At this point, if a recruit doesn't believe CNS, it's his loss.
Saban should tell him, simply, if you want to help your family, start by helping yourself. Go to the school that offers you the greatest chance of achieving your dreams. Then you might find yourself in a position to help everyone in your family for many years to come.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I think odds are against Sopsher happening for us. Guys finishing up their junior year of HS just don't dictate terms to Nick Saban. Not ever.

Saban will not offer anybody he doesn't think can get playing time in his second year, and start in his third. Even if the athlete in question has a 5* younger brother. Doesn't always work out that way, but that's the thought process on signing day.

Extended families, managers, representatives, handlers, and all manner of other adults purporting to advocate for the athlete's interest are already out of hand. We're fortunate that Saban is so strong he deals with it less than any other coach. But even Saban has to deal with it.

The difference is that he deals with the issue by not playing. Occasionally, one works out....like Keenan Allen. But Saban doesn't alter his fundamental philosophy. For every Allen, there are a lot more that end up under-achieving.

I hope young Mr. Sopsher chooses to spend his collegiate career in Tuscaloosa. But his brother will have to earn his own way into a scholarship, just as Sopsher himself did. Or not.

Either way, Nick Saban doesn't take ultimatums from high school juniors, and I don't imagine he has a lot of patience with the attempt.
Don`t know all the details, but we may well move on from Sopsher for this very reason. Also, I`m quite sure that there will be plenty of schools lined up who will be more than willing to make this " deal " if indeed it`s the tipping point in his decision as to where to go.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Don`t know all the details, but we may well move on from Sopsher for this very reason. Also, I`m quite sure that there will be plenty of schools lined up who will be more than willing to make this " deal " if indeed it`s the tipping point in his decision as to where to go.
LSU comes to mind.

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa
Saban should tell him, simply, if you want to help your family, start by helping yourself. Go to the school that offers you the greatest chance of achieving your dreams. Then you might find yourself in a position to help everyone in your family for many years to come.
Everything ive heard this isn't true. Bama is in the lead and from a person that said we would get Surtain last year before everyone else said we would. Likely this year we will have to wait on a few positions to play out and those are RB,WR,CB All the other positions are loaded with QB already being done.

allybama2009

1st Team
Jan 1, 2009
Conway, SC
We just offered. QB C. Brown 2019 CLASS, wondering if that means we may lose Tyson or Taulia. Doesn't make much sense to offer another qb when you have 2 locked up. Rtr

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
We just offered. QB C. Brown 2019 CLASS, wondering if that means we may lose Tyson or Taulia. Doesn't make much sense to offer another qb when you have 2 locked up. Rtr

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Per a SECCountry article I read the writer thinks it is a fall back since Taulia is visiting Tenn and the writer thinks the staff is not pleased with Taulia.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
Per a SECCountry article I read the writer thinks it is a fall back since Taulia is visiting Tenn and the writer thinks the staff is not pleased with Taulia.
That’s interesting.......wonder if someone got inside his head and is making him reconsider his commitment to Bama? I still feel ultimately he picks the Tide, but who knows......

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.