Economic Impacts of Covid - Part II

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
You guys are good people. We need to just agree to disagree. I will not change your minds, nor you mine.

• Thank You
Reactions: seebell

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Look, when you calm down, go look up and see how they did with the mRNA vaccine for SARS and MERS. They sank hundreds of millions down the drain. When the diseases started to recede on their own, the money dried up. That's just the way it goes in pharmacological R&D. Some you hit. Some you don't. There are no guarantees, if you miss, contrary to what you seem to think. The non-mRNA vaccines will probably just die away as the others get the upper hand in the battle. Those companies will take a bath. In this case, by a vast stroke of luck, the basic research done on SARS COV1 was applicable and gave a head start for covid19. In a sense, they're recouping the losses they suffered earlier...

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
  • A popular measure of inflation rose faster than forecast in April as reopening lifted demand.
  • Consumer prices rose 4.2% year-over-year, although that reading is skewed by negative price growth in April 2020.
  • The Fed has said that reopening and stimulus will likely drive strong, but temporary, inflation.
Prices of common goods in the US climbed faster than forecasted in April as the US economy leaped out of year-long lockdowns.

The Consumer Price Index jumped 0.8% last month, the Bureau of Labor Statistics said Wednesday morning. The median estimate from economists surveyed by Bloomberg was for a 0.2% month-over-month gain. The reading follows a 0.6% jump in the CPI from February to March.

Prices climbed 4.2% year-over-year, marking the strongest inflation since September 2008. Economists expected a year-over-year reading of 3.6%.

The jump was primarily driven by a 10% increase in prices for used cars and trucks. Food prices grew 0.4%, while gas prices fell 1.4% through the month.
Key US inflation gauge climbs to 13-year high as reopening supercharges demand (msn.com)

• Thank You
Reactions: seebell and 92tide

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
now that folks aren't held hostage by that unemployment payment, they can get back to work

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Well I have an interview with an architecture firm coming up. It will be a zoom interview which I have never done. The engineer I have been doing some work for has heard of them and done work with them in the past but it has been a while for him. According to him he did work the the current owner's father. It is not exactly in the best part of Atlanta and is a mostly African-American firm.

Edit: Zoom interview tomorrow at 4:00

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Well I have an interview with an architecture firm coming up. It will be a zoom interview which I have never done. The engineer I have been doing some work for has heard of them and done work with them in the past but it has been a while for him. According to him he did work the the current owner's father. It is not exactly in the best part of Atlanta and is a mostly African-American firm.
good luck on the interview

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

Edit: Zoom interview tomorrow at 4:00
Zoom interview went well. They want me to come in person next week. They want to see my Revit skills up close and personal.

Unfortunately they do schools primarily.

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Well, schools are steady. It's not the season for high-end hotels, office buildings and other fun stuff...
Very true and I could deal with schools again especially since this firm has fully embraced Revit unlike the last firm that I worked for that did schools. I could always wait until the high end hotel work picks up again. They also have a better attitude than the last place. The place I left had a partner that believed he was the only one that knew how to do anything and did not let his employees think for themselves. This place told me they want to know my opinion, if I know a better way to do something I need to speak up. They were very nice and they also know some people that I know, so I have references. They are not an entirely african-american firm as I was told. They said they like hiring good people that are personable and they liked me immediately. They have been in business for 50 years. It was started by one of the current partners dads and taken over by one of the sons and now the youngest son is in charge.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
There's a site on Facebook I like called For the Love of Old Houses. They post listed old houses from all over, and I saw one today from Point Roberts, Washington. I'd never heard of the place so I googled and found this

Capture.JPG

Which led me to this

They apparently do not have a ferry

• Wow
Reactions: Go Bama and seebell

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.