Economic Impacts of Covid

Status
Not open for further replies.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I have interview with an architectural firm this week. Just an interview and they are interviewing others. I do know a couple of people that already work there so I do have an in. Hopefully something will come from this.

Edit: Interview is this Friday in Duluth. I don't know if any of you own a map but that is quite the hike from Vinings. So far it is the only place that has called so I will learn to live with it if I am hired.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I have interview with an architectural firm this week. Just an interview and they are interviewing others. I do know a couple of people that already work there so I do have an in. Hopefully something will come from this.

Edit: Interview is this Friday in Duluth. I don't know if any of you own a map but that is quite the hike from Vinings. So far it is the only place that has called so I will learn to live with it if I am hired.
Duluth is a very nice city and there's a lot to do around there. Selma likes it so much, he goes back every year and could tell you a lot more. I mostly have just passed through, staying overnight a few times. For years, Huntsville shared an orchestra director with Duluth...

• Thank You
Reactions: DzynKingRTR

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Duluth is a very nice city and there's a lot to do around there. Selma likes it so much, he goes back every year and could tell you a lot more. I mostly have just passed through, staying overnight a few times. For years, Huntsville shared an orchestra director with Duluth...
We shall see. so far this is just an interview. They are interviewing a few candidates so they could easily pick someone else.

The engineer I have been doing side work for doesn't want me to take a job if offered. He thinks I should hold out until my old firm needs me and just continue to work occasionally for him.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

Interview went well. They liked me. I know some of the same people they know and they asked about me ahead of time. They said everyone spoke highly of me and no one had a negative thing to say about me. They assured me they are not the hire and fire type firm. When they hire it is because they want that person to stay. They have decent benefits (401k, they only pay 2/3 of medical, quarterly bonuses). They have a lot of potential work coming up, so it looks promising. They are interviewing other people but I think I may have impressed with my Revit knowledge. (just google if you don't know).

The drive wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. It is 25 miles away but the opposite direction of traffic.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Interview went well. They liked me. I know some of the same people they know and they asked about me ahead of time. They said everyone spoke highly of me and no one had a negative thing to say about me. They assured me they are not the hire and fire type firm. When they hire it is because they want that person to stay. They have decent benefits (401k, they only pay 2/3 of medical, quarterly bonuses). They have a lot of potential work coming up, so it looks promising. They are interviewing other people but I think I may have impressed with my Revit knowledge. (just google if you don't know).

The drive wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. It is 25 miles away but the opposite direction of traffic.
For over two years I drove from Loretto, TN to south Jackson, TN five days a week. It was four and a half hours a day of commute. The money was excellent, but I didn't think the business would survive so I never moved to Jackson.

You get used to a commute. It gives you time to think and wind down. You can listen to news, music, books, sports radio, etc. I suspect you will learn to like the commute.

Best of luck on the job. If it is a good opportunity, I'd take it rather than wait for your old firm. A bird in the hand.....

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
For over two years I drove from Loretto, TN to south Jackson, TN five days a week. It was four and a half hours a day of commute. The money was excellent, but I didn't think the business would survive so I never moved to Jackson.

You get used to a commute. It gives you time to think and wind down. You can listen to news, music, books, sports radio, etc. I suspect you will learn to like the commute.

Best of luck on the job. If it is a good opportunity, I'd take it rather than wait for your old firm. A bird in the hand.....
Yeah, I am not waiting on them. I don't think the old firm is going to survive this. I said as much in my interview because they asked if I wanted to return to the old firm.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Yeah, I am not waiting on them. I don't think the old firm is going to survive this. I said as much in my interview because they asked if I wanted to return to the old firm.
I'll repeat that Duluth is a very nice town. I think I could get used to living there. You are in reach of a lot of winter athletic activities...

Reactions: DzynKingRTR

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Georgia Dept. of Labor is not taking in office appointments. They say they are handling everything by phone and email. I have left yet another message. Still no return call. The sign out front says there is a high volume of calls and it will be returned "as quickly as possible". It has been a month. I understand high volume and all but a month and not an email or call at all? Not even an actual hardcopy letter in the actual mail. Nothing. By the time they finally respond I will either be broke or have an actual job. This is just frustrating.

In other news the firm I interviewed with did send me a follow-up email. They are waiting on approval for a couple of large jobs they feel confident about. Judging by the email it sounds like if these go through I will have a job. Fingers crossed.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Don't believe the unemployment numbers at all. GDOL has not paid me since December. When I check my status it is "pending". They are not seeing people in person. If you call you are automatically sent to a voicemail box. You leave a message (i have left a dozen). No one calls back. I have sent emails and gotten nothing back. They literally are not doing their jobs, but I can guarantee that I am not included in the unemployed numbers. If I try to claim weekly anyway, it says I am unauthorized to do that. I found out that a couple of friends are having the same issue and then found a message board where a crap load of people are having the same issue. The only reason I am able to survive right now is savings and side work. The side work is getting reported so it is not under the table work, but that was for 2020. I need to find a permanent job. Every place right now has a ton of work that is waiting on for things to get back to normal. Given how long it is taking to get vaccines, that should be 2-3 years from now.

Update: The engineer I have been doing some work for has officially taken my personal info from me. I am now technically self employed and working for him. My issues with the GDOL have become a moot point.

Last edited:

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
I truly fear for small businesses in the coming months. Another shut down seems inevitable at this point and the ones who somehow made it through the first one won't survive a second one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.