Economic Impacts of Covid

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
As suggested, for economic impacts related to the pandemic

I got this note today. I was surprised that someone is still operating such a small (26k bbl/day) refinery - I'd assume its related to some government (DOD) contract. Even 166k bbl/day is small these days.

Marathon to permanently shut 2 refineries
Marathon Petroleum's 166,000 barrel-per-day refinery in Martinez, Calif., and its 26,000 barrel-per-day refinery in Gallup, N.M., will close permanently as the company does not expect fuel demand to recover to pre-pandemic levels this year. News of the shutdowns comes amid warnings from US refining executives that some idled oil refining capacity will never come back online, while plans for new capacity will face delays.

Last edited:
Reactions: NationalTitles18

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
(this is not related to my post above)

The $1.9 Million Covid Patient

Josephine Mazzara watched her husband disappear into a Manhattan emergency room, unable to follow and uncertain when she would see him again.

Once inside, doctors quickly diagnosed Salvatore Mazzara with Covid-19. Soon, the 48-year-old’s lungs, kidneys and heart would give out. Doctors tried experimental drugs and tested other therapies in an effort to keep him alive. He was put on a ventilator and when its prolonged use posed a danger, they delivered oxygen directly through a hole cut in Mr. Mazzara’s throat.

He survived. But he didn’t leave the hospital for six weeks.
Mr. Mazzara remained in Mount Sinai Hospital for 44 days. He spent 23 of those days in intensive care.

Bills submitted to the family’s insurance company for Mr. Mazzara’s care totaled about $1,881,500, according to statements reviewed by The Wall Street Journal. It includes about $867,000 in bills that the insurance company disputes. After subtracting discounts of the price negotiated by the insurer, bills so far total roughly $178,200. The amounts aren’t a final bill and could change. The Mazzaras’ share will be based on their insurance benefits.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I wonder if we ever get back to any kind of normalcy will office buildings even be a thing anymore. One thing we have learned during all of this is we don't really need and actual office building to work in. There are a lot of jobs that never really needed it and are now discovering that fact. When you think about it what do you really need? A server room and maybe an IT guy to maintain it and does he even need to be there?

On a lighter note I will be headed to the engineer's office tomorrow. He needs something done that should not take more than a few hours. Not ideal but it will get me out and give me something to do.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I wonder how much congress will waste on this 'stimulus' bill? They seem intent on just willy-nilly throwing massive amounts of money at it again. :(

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
When you think about it what do you really need?
For me being work from home full time, a nice adjustable standup desk, comfy chair, and dual 24" monitors is all I need.

A server room and maybe an IT guy to maintain it and does he even need to be there?
Neither are really required. If you are small business, you can do is all in Azure or AWS rather inexpensively.

Reactions: Jon

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Mobile, Alabama, United States
I wonder how much congress will waste on this 'stimulus' bill? They seem intent on just willy-nilly throwing massive amounts of money at it again. :(
I am generally against stimulus - that being said - it's necessary, & it needs to go to the people. I'm expected to live on savings for months, but companies... nooooo, 1 week of reduced profits and they cry to congress? I understand that some businesses need props too, but there is absolutely no need for the pork projects that they've tried to throw in. Jets, remodels etc.

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Mobile, Alabama, United States
I am generally against stimulus - that being said - it's necessary, & it needs to go to the people. I'm expected to live on savings for months, but companies... nooooo, 1 week of reduced profits and they cry to congress? I understand that some businesses need props too, but there is absolutely no need for the pork projects that they've tried to throw in. Jets, remodels etc.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Whatever they do I hope it does not involve tax cuts. You cannot increase spending and decrease revenue at the same time. But that is what some of the politicians want to do.

Reactions: Bamaro

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Yeah, but do you have a mini bar?
nope, but do have a mini fridge and a private bathroom

when I bought this house 15 years ago I had a few must haves. I had been working from home for a few years so one of those was a completely private office space as I had toddlers at the time. 19 years of working from home and I can't imagine going to an office, I have literally turned down better jobs to stay here. Including last year with the giant Jeff Bezos machine. A role that would likely mean a significant raise. Ironic because they are now all work from home too

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.