ADMIN NOTE: Effects of pandemic on sports...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Please post here only on the topic of the pandemic on sports. There are existing threads on the NonSports boards for general health posts, or, if there's something novel, new threads can be started there. The fear is that people don't expect general health posts to be here and may miss something important to them.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I just hope that athletes take this seriously and avoid it as much as possible. This has been proved to cause permanent and significant lung damage in survivors of all ages. This would essentially end the career of an athlete if they got a severe case.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
NASCAR has shut down until May. They say they are going to run the full schedule, but I don’t see how that is possible.

I think the Olympics are done.

Reactions: Ole Man Dan

OSUTideFan

All-American
Dec 17, 2019
Indiana
This is a force majeure kind of thing. The world has been mobilized with the sharpest minds alive doing their best to bring us back to where we were. This too shall pass.. and football will be on as scheduled. Beat Auburn!

Reactions: We_are_Bama

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Will we get extra fall practice? I think so. On the big picture I see this happening every year now. Each year the world will panic with the flu season and shut down countries. My advice is to reschedule all sports events to skip March and April. End at the end of January or take a two month "half time."

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Well my AFL team is still playing so i have something to watch. its a bit weird without any crowds at the game but at least they're still playing
I read that they cancelled the rest of their season. Did that not happen?

Sorry - that was XFL.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
Beyond the virus itself the economic impact is critical. People go to sporting events because they have the money to do so. Let us hope and pray the virus can be contained and people can continue working so they can afford to go to sporting events. Sports are a diversion from everyday life...that's why it is a billion dollar industry.

Reactions: We_are_Bama

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
Been watching old games, college football and basketball. It's so strange to see old games because it's weird seeing people in the stands. I was watching Najee and Jalen Waddle rip up that barn defense. In my mind, that ball game ended after we took a 45-40 lead, so I stopped watching there. It's very therapeutic watching it that way LOL. Anyway, that being just this past November, I see that and I think, knowing what we know now, was it safe to have gatherings even then? It's strange to look at all of this in retrospect

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
The English Premier League will not start up again until April 30th at the earliest -- Covid-19 is not expected to peak in the UK until Jun-Jul timeframe, so I don't look for any live footie until after then. Man City have suspended fees for ManCity+, their TV channel, which means I can get my fix of the Citizens with reruns and other City videos.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
This is a force majeure kind of thing. The world has been mobilized with the sharpest minds alive doing their best to bring us back to where we were. This too shall pass.. and football will be on as scheduled. Beat Auburn!
Hopefully I can Force Majeure out of a two year old voluntary repossession loan after all this.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Been watching old games, college football and basketball. It's so strange to see old games because it's weird seeing people in the stands. I was watching Najee and Jalen Waddle rip up that barn defense. In my mind, that ball game ended after we took a 45-40 lead, so I stopped watching there. It's very therapeutic watching it that way LOL. Anyway, that being just this past November, I see that and I think, knowing what we know now, was it safe to have gatherings even then? It's strange to look at all of this in retrospect
WHNT, the local CBS affiliate, has been showing basketball games this afternoon from the early 80s. Man, those tight short-shorts look weird...

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
WHNT, the local CBS affiliate, has been showing basketball games this afternoon from the early 80s. Man, those tight short-shorts look weird...
They sure do! That late 70’s/early 80’s time in sports had some crazy looks

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.