Game Thread: Egg Bowl- Mississippi State @ Ole Miss (ESPN)

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I still think Kiffin has the potential to be a really great HC and I'm not sure exactly what happened the last few games unless Lane let himself become too distracted by AUs efforts at throwing the bank at him.

But just to provide some context..

In 2017-2019 OM was 6-6, 5-7, and 4-8 under Matt Luke

Kiffin had a mess to clean up.

He went 5-5 in year 1 but last year was 10-3 with an Final ranking of 11

This year they were 8-1 with a chance to actually win the West and were ranked in the Top 10

They fell apart at the finish I won't deny that and it is concerning how they went 1-4 in the last 5 with a couple of bad losses.

But I'm just saying to have them hovering around the Top 10 already shows some promise.

I'm still wondering if he would not take as many chances on Offense if he had a defense he trusted. He seems to chase points too early in games because he knows or thinks he doesn't have to horses to play other teams straight up.
He is a much better coach after his stint at Bama. The problem is, Ole Miss isn’t capable of being a winner in the SEC, and he is forced to go for it all the time because his team just isn’t that good. Does anyone remember him going for it on 4th down all the time when he was at Bama? No, because he didn’t have to. If he takes the Auburn job, it really won’t change. They are better than Ole Miss but that’s not saying much…

Reactions: B1GTide

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I still think Kiffin has the potential to be a really great HC and I'm not sure exactly what happened the last few games
I know exactly what happened.
Go look at the opponents - they played one P5 opponent with a winning record (6-5 UK) and won by 3.
Then they played 4 of 5 games against teams with winning record and lost all four.

unless Lane let himself become too distracted by AUs efforts at throwing the bank at him.

But just to provide some context..

In 2017-2019 OM was 6-6, 5-7, and 4-8 under Matt Luke

Kiffin had a mess to clean up.
I can see Sexton right now: "Hey, Kiffin might have lost a red hawt wife and been sleeping with everything that moves, but he's NO MATT LUKE!!"

He went 5-5 in year 1
he beat 5-6 Kentucky, 2-8 SCAR, 0-9 Vandy, 4-7 MSU, and got a bowl game because of Covid (and avoided a losing record only because the aTm game was cancelled.

but last year was 10-3 with a Final ranking of 11
He improved, I'll give him that. But 21 Vols weren't as good as 20 Gators - and Harsin had replaced Gus in Auburn, too.

This year they were 8-1 with a chance to actually win the West and were ranked in the Top 10
Because all the good teams on their schedule were in the final month.

They fell apart at the finish I won't deny that and it is concerning how they went 1-4 in the last 5 with a couple of bad losses.

But I'm just saying to have them hovering around the Top 10 already shows some promise.
They got a boost from beating UK, who turned out to be not so good.

I'm still wondering if he would not take as many chances on Offense if he had a defense he trusted. He seems to take risks and chase points too early in games because he knows or thinks he doesn't have to horses to play other teams straight up.
I think he's another in the long line of Gus Malzahn-style coaches who can compile a light up the scoreboard and run razzle dazzle high school crap offenses but can't adjust to save his life.

His close loss last night was solely because Will Rogers never met a football he did like and fumbled the chance away.

Reactions: tusks_n_raider

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I know exactly what happened.
Go look at the opponents - they played one P5 opponent with a winning record (6-5 UK) and won by 3.
Then they played 4 of 5 games against teams with winning record and lost all four.

I can see Sexton right now: "Hey, Kiffin might have lost a red hawt wife and been sleeping with everything that moves, but he's NO MATT LUKE!!"

he beat 5-6 Kentucky, 2-8 SCAR, 0-9 Vandy, 4-7 MSU, and got a bowl game because of Covid (and avoided a losing record only because the aTm game was cancelled.

He improved, I'll give him that. But 21 Vols weren't as good as 20 Gators - and Harsin had replaced Gus in Auburn, too.

Because all the good teams on their schedule were in the final month.

They got a boost from beating UK, who turned out to be not so good.

I think he's another in the long line of Gus Malzahn-style coaches who can compile a light up the scoreboard and run razzle dazzle high school crap offenses but can't adjust to save his life.

His close loss last night was solely because Will Rogers never met a football he did like and fumbled the chance away.

Those are a lot of good counter points I admit.

The only part I kind of disagree with is I don't think he's a 1 trick pony like Gus at all.

He has shown he has the ability to develop QBs and tailor offenses around the talent that he has and he often mixes up game plans from Pass Heavy to Run heavy to Balanced. He also calls plays really well and set ups a lot of Mismatches and uses plays to set up other plays.

I'm not saying he's a can't miss guy or anything, but I don't think he's a fraud or anything either.

He has 'potential' to be a really good HC is all I'm saying and he's only 47.

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
Those are a lot of good counter points I admit.

The only part I kind of disagree with is I don't think he's a 1 trick pony like Gus at all.

He has shown he has the ability to develop QBs and tailor offenses around the talent that he has and he often mixes up game plans from Pass Heavy to Run heavy to Balanced. He also calls plays really well and set ups a lot of Mismatches and uses plays to set up other plays.

I'm not saying he's a can't miss guy or anything, but I don't think he's a fraud or anything either.

He has 'potential' to be a really good HC is all I'm saying and he's only 47.
Did not see anything about his recruiting or defense in that review??

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.