Eli Ricks Arrested-Charge Dismissed by Court

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
So it was basically a collection of victimless crimes. Not a good luck but that big a deal either.

Edit: In regards to the speeding is dangerous thing, not all speeding is actually more dangerous. I think the only state I am aware of that actually has it on the books that the speeding has to endanger someone else is Texas. Otherwise it can literally just be driving fast with no one around. I've lived in Germany, spent a lot of time on the autobahn. Despite the incredibly high speeds some people are going there, legally in many cases, they actually have lower fatality rates. So, it isn't just as simple as speeding=more dangerous.

There are obviously dangerous driving situations, but just pointing out that breaking the speed limit isn't automatically one of those.

Last edited:
Reactions: BamaDenver

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
it’s a big deal if you believe in rules and discipline. Doesn’t matter who may have done worse when they were young or even last week. Either you respect the team rules or you don’t. No matter your personal feelings on weed or speeding. The punishment will never come to light, but there will be punishment. As there should be.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
So it was basically a collection of victimless crimes. Not a good luck but that big a deal either.

Edit: In regards to the speeding is dangerous thing, not all speeding is actually more dangerous. I think the only state I am aware of that actually has it on the books that the speeding has to endanger someone else is Texas. Otherwise it can literally just be driving fast with no one around. I've lived in Germany, spent a lot of time on the autobahn. Despite the incredibly high speeds some people are going there, legally in many cases, they actually have lower fatality rates. So, it isn't just as simple as speeding=more dangerous.

There are obviously dangerous driving situations, but just pointing out that breaking the speed limit isn't automatically one of those.
As someone said earlier in the thread, if he was I 59 , any speeding is dangerous on that stretch of road. I think a fifth grader designed the road system there

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
it’s a big deal if you believe in rules and discipline. Doesn’t matter who may have done worse when they were young or even last week. Either you respect the team rules or you don’t. No matter your personal feelings on weed or speeding. The punishment will never come to light, but there will be punishment. As there should be.
I don't want to see a kid lose their entire future over a small mistake. However, it is insane to think that everyone knows the consequences and that the coaches are constantly preaching to these kids the rules they must follow. Instead they are willing to try to put their entire future in jeopardy for some small mistakes they knew they shouldnt do.

this isn't ricks, this isn't alabama, it is just in general that I find it crazy that people with so much to lose will still make the same dumb mistakes.

again I will add that I do not want to see a kid lose their entire future over a small mistake, but let's not act like everyone does not know how big the consequences can be on a small mistake.

Reactions: jjv0004 and Bazza

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Did he violate team rules?

I suspect that's a black-and-white answer.

And it's all that matters.
He should be punished for sure. I just don't view all these things as equal. If this was like the Ruggs thing (even without the fatality) it would be on a whole other level. Just based on the charges though this seems rather minor and not like he was doing anything especially reckless. I'm still far more disappointed in the DUI Golding got because I'm of the opinion that DUI is a far more dangerous and reckless behavior generally speaking.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
My thought is they should make Ricks work with Ben and Erin for a couple of weeks as “community service”. That should be punishment enough.

But it may fall into the realm of “cruel and unusual” if Erin makes him spend 6 hours one day deciding on a wallpaper selection.
I imagine most people here won't recognize/know who Ben and Erin are in Laurel. But thanks to my wife, I do. It's actually one of the shows like that I can watch...even if he is a big Ole Miss fan!

Reactions: Con and FaninLA

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
[
They should move forward without him. If this is already starting, that's a bad sign.
that has never been Nick Saban’s MO. He treats players like his own kids. You would never kick out your kids over a mistake. It’s an opportunity to teach about life and consequences while maintaining structure for the kid. If it is a repeated pattern, that is a different conversation. Then it’s an ongoing disruption for the team and taking valuable time away from players that obey the rules.
Nick will catch flak over this from talking heads that don’t know him and the like. And I’ve already seen other fan bases posting that Ricks will have to run 2 laps or something because he is a five star .

Reactions: The Ols and Con

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
[

that has never been Nick Saban’s MO. He treats players like his own kids. You would never kick out your kids over a mistake. It’s an opportunity to teach about life and consequences while maintaining structure for the kid. If it is a repeated pattern, that is a different conversation. Then it’s an ongoing disruption for the team and taking valuable time away from players that obey the rules.
Nick will catch flak over this from talking heads that don’t know him and the like. And I’ve already seen other fan bases posting that Ricks will have to run 2 laps or something because he is a five star .
Agreed! I think this is basically why CNS didn't like the NFL. His ability to reach/teach at the college level is still better than the NFL despite NIL. I actually think his desire to mold and shape kids (and not just win football games) is what makes him most like Paul William "Bear" Bryant!

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
He was pulled over in the afternoon on a 2 lane highway between Tuscaloosa and New Orleans/Baton Rouge. If he was just speeding a little, and that's my guess since they didn't charge him with anything more severe, then I really don't see the big issue. He wasn't going 130 down a city street at 1am while drunk.
They should move forward without him. If this is already starting, that's a bad sign.
You can't be serious.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
Close. A civil engineer did.
No matter how good or bad the Civil Engineer was in that intersection, the design and construction should NEVER have made it past their boss and whomever the DOT puts in charge of road design approval. You just can't put the blame on one person, unless they were the person in charge of the project and they over-rode the design (I'd put my money on that scenario).

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
He was pulled over in the afternoon on a 2 lane highway between Tuscaloosa and New Orleans/Baton Rouge. If he was just speeding a little, and that's my guess since they didn't charge him with anything more severe, then I really don't see the big issue. He wasn't going 130 down a city street at 1am while drunk.

You can't be serious.
I'm with you Jeff. Speeding encourages speeding, and it doesn't have to be egregious speeding under the influence to cause an accident.

About 90% of accidents are categorized as a driver fault, and around 30% of those are categorized as just plain old speeding.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
To those who would dismiss this: I work in insurance and EVERY DAY I pull up at least one claim with a BIG RED "D" beside it because someone is in a hurry or thinks they have to be out in front or whatever. But someone in still dead. And it was only once. Of course that's because the deceased will never have another chance.
CNS needs to get his attention and get it real quick. Not because of football but for this young man's future and potentially someone's life.

Reactions: NoNC4Tubs

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.