Eli Ricks Arrested-Charge Dismissed by Court

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
To those who would dismiss this: I work in insurance and EVERY DAY I pull up at least one claim with a BIG RED "D" beside it because someone is in a hurry or thinks they have to be out in front or whatever. But someone in still dead. And it was only once. Of course that's because the deceased will never have another chance.
CNS needs to get his attention and get it real quick. Not because of football but for this young man's future and potentially someone's life.
How fast was he going? Do you even know?

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
No matter how good or bad the Civil Engineer was in that intersection, the design and construction should NEVER have made it past their boss and whomever the DOT puts in charge of road design approval. You just can't put the blame on one person, unless they were the person in charge of the project and they over-rode the design (I'd put my money on that scenario).
Just wanted to take a shot at civil engineers.

Sometimes jobs like this are done in house. Basically a civil engineer that works for the city. They also bid them out. No idea how this was done.

Also the design process can get changed or altered do to budget constraints or environmental factors. Then there is bureaucratic nonsense and some idiot in the government with no idea how to do the job and no background in engineering said, I want it this was, make it work. 95% it is this.

Reactions: Con

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
To those who would dismiss this: I work in insurance and EVERY DAY I pull up at least one claim with a BIG RED "D" beside it because someone is in a hurry or thinks they have to be out in front or whatever. But someone in still dead. And it was only once. Of course that's because the deceased will never have another chance.
CNS needs to get his attention and get it real quick. Not because of football but for this young man's future and potentially someone's life.
I still consider it utter nonsense to try to lump all speeding into one single category. Not all speeding is dangerous. Period, full stop. We have enough data to show that a higher speed limit does not automatically mean more deaths, even you alluded to a particular type of driving. In a hurry, trying to do this or that. A speeding ticket doesn't have to have to do with any dangerous behavior at all, other than going over an arbitrary limit. In this case it wasn't any other driving related charge so there's no reason to believe he was doing anything dangerous at all.

I've been in the car and been pulled over on a four lane highway with no one around going ten miles over the speed limit. No one was in danger, nothing was dangerous, just a good chance to meet a quota. So I refuse to buy the notion that just speeding as the offense, nothing else (I think reckless driving can be as low as 15 MPH over the speed limit) is some great danger posed to others. If this was the case people in Germany would be dying at much higher rates on the highways when in fact they die at much lower rates. It's oversimplification to say "speeding" in general is going get people killed or something. Driving dangerously will and there is a difference between the two things.

Reactions: BamaDenver

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
My grandfather was an engineer for the Mississippi highway dept and he always said that particular stretch was like that bc of politicians and kick backs. Wasn’t supposed to go thru laurel im guessing
Government jobs are the worst. I am glad I don't do that type of work anymore.

tideindc

2nd Team
Jan 2, 2015
He was doing 91 mph in 70 mph zone. Not awesome. Let's hope he learns from this.

Not particularly smart going 91 mph, when you have no insurance and have pot in the car. IF that's me, I'm going EXACTLY the speed limit..no more no less.

Reactions: seebell

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
Honestly me too. However, I never had weed in the car and good chance he was under influence of weed as well....

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
Based on what?
Based on the fact he was driving 90 with weed in the car. Obviously I don't know for certain, that's why I said there was a good chance. Certainly he may not have been under the influence at the time but it's naive to not think its a strong possibility. From my personal experience I would bet he was high at the time. JMO...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.