Eli Ricks Arrested-Charge Dismissed by Court

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
All of you that think it is fine to go 90, please call me when you get ticketed and go to court. I want to hear what the judge says to you.
Okay there is speed and then there is SPEED. I think most of us generally agree that there is a point in which it is too excessive. 5-10 over really isn’t as dangerous as 5-10 under in a passing lane. I honestly believe if cops would enforce passing lane laws like they do in places like Kentucky then most accidents and logjams would be far less.

My point is not to argue “excessive” speed but to argue against everyone who acts like 5-10 over is a capital crime and that it’s perfectly okay to drive 50 in a passing lane when the speed limit is 65.

Reactions: BamaDenver

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
All of you that think it is fine to go 90, please call me when you get ticketed and go to court. I want to hear what the judge says to you.
I typically drive between 80 to 85 on the interstate. I know from experience that 90 and above will get me a speeding ticket. It's a small fine and there is no need to go to court since it can just be paid before the court date.

Reactions: TiderJack

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
There seems to be some on here that think they are not doing anything wrong. In fact one poster even literally said he is in the right by going 90 and the real danger is the guy actually doing the speed limit of 70. Which is what prompted the post you are replying to.
"Not doing anything wrong" and "not breaking the law" are two different things. It's obviously illegal to go over the speed limit, but in some cases, it's unsafe *not* to speed. No one here thinks that will get them out of a ticket.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
There seems to be some on here that think they are not doing anything wrong. In fact one poster even literally said he is in the right by going 90 and the real danger is the guy actually doing the speed limit of 70. Which is what prompted the post you are replying to.
I think the point is in some areas you'll get run off the road doing the speed limit. Heck, you're in ATL, you know this.

I gladly hit 90 when I'm on stretches of interstate where it's safe. Between Memphis and Nashville (~200 miles) there is one moderately-sized city (Jackson) - other than that, it's wide-open interstate.

I'll risk it as it's among the most boring drives ever created by man. But I know full-well I'm risking a sizable fine in making that choice.

Reactions: BamaDenver and Con

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
If you are in the left lane doing 70 it is a danger. I like to get from point A to point B as fast as possible. I typically go between 80-85 on the interstate and know to slow down when I approach on-ramps since this is where cops like to "hide". I look at it that some people have not been trained correctly to drive and not everyone is a good driver. When I have to pass somebody on the right when they are in the left lane I will immediately get back over into the left lane as soon as I pass them to help educate them but in many cases they just stay in the left lane.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
It's called 'not going to court and writing a big check'.
Or it’s called having a fuzz buster and/buffer handy. However it is annoying when you are driving through places lTexas and it’s constantly beeping on Trucks instead of police radar.

So far I only have 2 tickets and they were because two cops wanted to meet a quota, and very little to do about safety and being a danger to society. Heck one of them was for going 5 over while pulling into my apartment complex.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If you are in the left lane doing 70 it is a danger. I like to get from point A to point B as fast as possible. I typically go between 80-85 on the interstate and know to slow down when I approach on-ramps since this is where cops like to "hide". I look at it that some people have not been trained correctly to drive and not everyone is a good driver. When I have to pass somebody on the right when they are in the left lane I will immediately get back over into the left lane as soon as I pass them to help educate them but in many cases they just stay in the left lane.
Yeah people who drive at the speed limit or under it in the left lane for a prolonged amount of time really don’t have any idea of how much they influence wrecks and angry drivers. Maybe they do and they are trying to prove a point to only themselves, but they cause way more wrecks and log jams than people going 10-15 over.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Or it’s called having a fuzz buster and/buffer handy. However it is annoying when you are driving through places lTexas and it’s constantly beeping on Trucks instead of police radar.

So far I only have 2 tickets and they were because two cops wanted to meet a quota, and very little to do about safety and being a danger to society. Heck one of them was for going 5 over while pulling into my apartment complex.
I asked a childhood friend that is a cop about the quota thing that everyone says exists. He told me officially there is no quota. Unofficially there is.

I have only had one speeding ticket my whole life. I was 17 and going 80 on a side road near hwy 75 in Blount County. It was the early 90s and I am betting anyone that is familiar with that stretch and is of a certain age can guess the nickname of the state trooper that got me. I had to go to driving school and visit the childrens hospital trauma ward to retain my license.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I asked a childhood friend that is a cop about the quota thing that everyone says exists. He told me officially there is no quota. Unofficially there is.
Harpersville Alabama and Tifton Georgia are enough for me to know it exists without providing detailed evidence of it. It exists but doesn’t.

Again I believe there is a difference between stupid speed (both ways) and flow of traffic and maybe slightly more.

Reactions: BamaDenver

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I used to know a guy who worked for Memphis Police Department. At that time he was trying to get onto traffic duty, and that seemed crazy to me, I asked him why. He told me that because quotas are illegal, they have 'numbers' they can hit after which the can go home and still get paid for the full shift.

He said he knew guys who would wrk 4-5 hours of a shift and go home, every day. They didn't care if the tickets would stand up in court (or that they were stealing from people (if they mailed in payment) or wasting their time (if they took it to court)), they weren't going to show anyway (tickets would be dismissed) - and they already had their paid time off...

Warm feelings and all that.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.