ESPN Interrupting College Football Is A Travesty (Aaron Judge)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I've been holding back, partly because last weekend I was visiting my ex-mother-in-law, who is in hospice (home health) and we made our peace with each other, which was never really an issue. I got to thank her for everything despite the marriage issues I had with her daughter. So I missed much of last weekend games wise.

Fast forward, though, and we have ESPN (AND FOX, too!) interrupting college football to show a baseball player attempting to pass Roger Maris for sixth on the all-time single season home run list, Aaron Judge.

EXCUSE ME?????

Look, my baseball fandom on TF isn't exactly a secret, okay? I don't hate the sport like some folks do, but I think everything needs to be in its proper context. And ESPN PROVED WHAT WE ALWAYS KNEW about their priorities when NO NFL GAMES were interrupted last Sunday.

So you interrupt college football on Saturday but no the NFL on Sunday? I mean, how does that work?

I'm gonna give you the not-so-flattering answer, though: this is how Northeastern USA based TV executives think about Southerners, plain and simple. Yes, they're interrupting other games, but let's face it: outside of a few Big Ten venues like Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State, there is no more fervent set of college football fans than in the Southerneastern USA. Even Auburn fans - you can feel it come through your set when they're good and at home. Even Mississippi State or Missouri fans, they've got it (and Mizzou has a century to catch up).

But they're just fine intruding into what I actually want to watch, basically FORCING ME TO OBSERVE something that (wait for it).....If I actually wanted to watch, I have an MLB subscription, and I'd be watching that.

I think the conferences in general AND THE SEC IN PARTICULAR needs to put in the next contract, "You ain't interrupting our game for a baseball accomplishment; a tsunami, okay."

It's not Aaron Judge's fault, I get that. I'll even admit, okay, it's an accomplishment.

But this is not Pete Rose getting the hits record or Hank Aaron beating Ruth (they interrupted the prime time TV schedule on the channels to show those at bats).

Don't impose your sports views on me when I'm watching another one.

Next thing, they'll interrupt the NBA finals when some former NFL running back goes on the lam when accused of murdering his wife.......

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
I thought they were showing it because it was the American League record....and with the Yankees...not that it was because it was a non steroid record.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I've tried and I simply could not care any less about MLB.

So I find the breaks covering it 100% annoying. They might as well be interrupting the greatest sport on earth to show me figure skating highlights. I hate it.
As a huge Braves fan, I hate these interruptions and would even if it were for a Braves player.

That aside, this is a made up record chase. No one who is not a Yankees fan cares about this.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Do we know for a fact Judge isn't?
Hard to say with 100% certainty but he does not look like it. With Bonds, McGwire, Sosa, and Clemens, it was obvious.

I’m interested in him breaking the record. And it is an AL record. But I agree with everyone about the interruptions. It was novel last weekend. The fact that they continued to do it this weekend shows they are what Selma says they are.

Reactions: theballguy

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
I've tried and I simply could not care any less about MLB.

So I find the breaks covering it 100% annoying. They might as well be interrupting the greatest sport on earth to show me figure skating highlights. I hate it.
I enjoy the Braves. Mainly in September on. Otherwise, baseball is more of a social event than a sport. Aaron Judge is a good kid and hope he breaks this and other records but not enough to where I would even want an Air Force game interrupted for it.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.