News Article: ESPN: Nothing seems to rattle Alabama QB Bryce Young, and it's all part of the plan

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
It's still early in his career, but Young's sense of composure has people around the sport abuzz. One coach gushed to ESPN's Adam Rittenberg about a play in the season-opener against Miami when Young threw the ball into the stands rather than take a sack. An NFL scout took one look and said, "That young kid is going to be freaking unbelievable."

Young tied a school record with 10 touchdown passes in his first three games, and he's yet to throw an interception. While Saban said he plays like a veteran, that uncommon poise isn't an accident. It's part of the plan.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I am still a little concerned that he locks onto his primary receiver for too long on every play. The result - if he has to go further through his progressions, he is often late and the pass is a bit behind the receiver.

These routes are designed to come open in a specific sequence. Stay on route #1 too long and you could miss your window for all of the remaining routes. He needs to get better at recognizing what is happening with route #1 more quickly.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I am still a little concerned that he locks onto his primary receiver for too long on every play. The result - if he has to go further through his progressions, he is often late and the pass is a bit behind the receiver.

These routes are designed to come open in a specific sequence. Stay on route #1 too long and you could miss your window for all of the remaining routes. He needs to get better at recognizing what is happening with route #1 more quickly.
He's obviously a quick thinker, I think he just needs reps for the game speed to feel more natural.

I'll be shocked if he doesn't turn out to be the best Bama has had yet.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
He's a sophomore and it is his first season to play as the starter, so's he is in the learning phase. Mac Jones had the benefit of having three years of college under his belt before being the starter. That's a big difference in maturity and learning opportunities. Bryce will have early struggles that Mac didn't, but once the "light" truly comes on with this kid, he is going to be a superstar on the field.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I thought the kid was amazing in this last game. You heard from O Linemen this week saying they could not even hear the clap count. For a young man of his age going into that atmosphere on his first road start and perform the way he did is something special I think. We got us a good one.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
I actually think sometimes he is too calm, if that's possible. Still, I'd rather him have that problem than the opposite.
I get what you're saying......I recall a time when Damien Harris got on Jalen's butt for being a little too methodical coming out of the huddle....sometimes I'd like to see Bryce have a bit more urgency getting to the line and getting ready.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Very impressive but what's up with your second and third string QB's? Sorry for slight thread drift but quite a few commented that Bryce wasn't running as much because of fear of the backup not being ready to step in.

Guess we'll see more from the backups when you get some decent leads in future games. Like maybe this Saturday?

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Very impressive but what's up with your second and third string QB's? Sorry for slight thread drift but quite a few commented that Bryce wasn't running as much because of fear of the backup not being ready to step in.

Guess we'll see more from the backups when you get some decent leads in future games. Like maybe this Saturday?
Some folks say 2 and 3 aren't near ready to step in if needed.
Some folks say 2 don't run, and 3 is a runner who needs pass work.
I hope they are wrong. Both 2 and 3 have looked pretty good in practice.

• Thank You
Reactions: Bazza

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

Scrambling to throw was always Bryce's MO in HS, though he did run a bit more than he does now. But he could probably run a little more with little threat of a big hit. He has a few times.

You never know how a team or individual will respond under various circumstances but from a distance and on the surface there would be a tremendous drop off. But it would seem that Bama would be dead to NC consideration; but you just never know.

CNS never wanted his teams to be dependent on one player, it's ironic how things have turned out but that's the way of the game now.

• Thank You
Reactions: Bazza and 27rings

27rings

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 7, 2020
I agree with everything said. After watching the UF game a second time there was a drive in the 2nd quarter he could have run for a first down on 3rd down and kept the drive alive but instead threw an errant pass. And I believe we all felt he could have ran the ball in for a TD in the 4th quarter but instead decided to throw to Latu at the last second and he caught it out of bounds. He scores on that play and the narrative around the game is completely different.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.