Espn way too early preseason top 25

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Of course these things mean nothing but discussion fodder, but I thought it was intruiging. First of all, I actually like this projection. We have too man question marks to be a top 3 team, so I feel like we are still fairly valued. I feel like USC won't have the depth to live up to that high golf a ranking, but the talent may be there. What say you my tidefans brethren?

http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?stor...op&rand=ref~{"ref":"https://www.google.com/"}

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Hmmm.... TCU, Baylor and USC... not sure about them. Way too early to predict, they could've waited until spring practices so we know how they are and what issues they have...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
TCU returns 10 starters on offense. That should scare everyone in the Big 12. Easily understand why Schlabach would have them ranked second.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Oh, I know they are returning 10 on offense and six on defense, and all. I was saying that while they are talented team, can they run the table and get in playoff?
Look at their 2015 schedule: I can see plenty of upset alerts on the schedule. If I was just someone who's ranking the team, I would put TCU at no. 3 or no. 4.

RT3413

All-American
Sep 14, 2004
Atlanta, GA
None of those teams concern me at all. Frankly, I'm only REALLY concerned with Wisconsin right now. Putting that aside, I'll say this... there is NO way an SEC Champion with <2 losses is kept out of the playoff. We continue to own our own destiny... I don't care if we're ranked 4th or 44th until the middle of October.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I"m intriqued by Michgain and Ohio State battle.... Should be interesting year for lot of teams... I suspect we'll see unlikely team making the playoff...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Oh, I know they are returning 10 on offense and six on defense, and all. I was saying that while they are talented team, can they run the table and get in playoff?
Well, they were one game away from doing it this year. Why should we believe they couldn't in 2015?

Look at their 2015 schedule: I can see plenty of upset alerts on the schedule. If I was just someone who's ranking the team, I would put TCU at no. 3 or no. 4.
First, preseason rankings aren't about the games. It's about the teams. Why rank a team based on their schedule? You rank them based on the roster, the potential, coaches, etc. With that in mind, TCU deserves the ranking. An offense that averaged 46.5 points a game returns 10 players. A defense that only gave up 19 points per game returns 6 players. Seems like a good resume for the #2 team on a preseason list.

Also, what upsets do you see on that schedule? They should start the season 4-0 prior to playing Texas at home. The following week they go to K-State. Unless Charlie Strong works miracles this summer, I don't expect TCU to lose. The only real tough game on the schedule might be at Oklahoma on November 21.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Wait, are you saying You don't think Texas, West Virginia, Okla, Okla State and baylor can't beat them?
I can see TCU going 9-3, 10-2.... To be fair, lot of teams will start off 4-0 or 5-0 given the early easy schedule for most team... TCU does have the talent and scheudle to do so, but Big 12 is unpredictable.....

Well, they were one game away from doing it this year. Why should we believe they couldn't in 2015?

First, preseason rankings aren't about the games. It's about the teams. Why rank a team based on their schedule? You rank them based on the roster, the potential, coaches, etc. With that in mind, TCU deserves the ranking. An offense that averaged 46.5 points a game returns 10 players. A defense that only gave up 19 points per game returns 6 players. Seems like a good resume for the #2 team on a preseason list.

Also, what upsets do you see on that schedule? They should start the season 4-0 prior to playing Texas at home. The following week they go to K-State. Unless Charlie Strong works miracles this summer, I don't expect TCU to lose. The only real tough game on the schedule might be at Oklahoma on November 21.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
USC is way too high. I would have them around #10 or #11. As for TCU, meh....I can see them going 8-4 or 12-0. The Big 12 is always a crap shoot.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
USCw gives me slight pause, but aside from that I think the others are pretty spot on at the top.
Was thinking the same ... not saying that they won't eventually put it together, just thinking they are too high without proving it first. Not even seeing them in the mix for the 4 team playoff next season ... 2016 season may be another story.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I've got no issues with TCU being rated where they are. They finished the season on as high of a note as anyone with the exception of OSU. They have a lot of talent returning, and they are in probably the weakest of the 5 power conferences. The only team who stands in their way is themselves.

USC will have as dynamic of an offense as anyone, and they are catching Oregon and Stanford in rebuilding mode. I doubt USC foes undefeated, but they have as good of a chance as anyone in PAC12 to make it. My only question will be if they have the coaching and depth to make it. Sarkisian still hasn't proven he can take a team to that level, and they are just now getting off of sanctions.

I thought Michigan State was a bit low. They have a good team returning, and a potential Heisman candidate at QB. The winner of their game against OSU will probably seal the fate of the B1G once again.

I also like the fact that only 8 SEC teams are ranked in the preseason, and only 2 in the top 10. The past couple of seasons the SEC has been well overvalued in the early polls, but most teams look fairly ranked this time around.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I would've had Mississippi State in there toward the bottom of the rankings. I still think they win 8-9 games next year.
If I'm not mistaken they had 16 senior starters this past year. Dak is good and they have good young talent but they are State so 8-9 wins may be tough.

We only return 3 starters on offense so I'm a little apprehensive about our chances to win it all.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
If I'm not mistaken they had 16 senior starters this past year. Dak is good and they have good young talent but they are State so 8-9 wins may be tough.

We only return 3 starters on offense so I'm a little apprehensive about our chances to win it all.

Frankly, I think we're rated too high. Our supposed strength on defense -- the line -- got gutted by TOSU. Can we definitely say we'll be better at linebacker and DB a year from now?

On offense, we'll have a first time starter at QB and runningback and a rebuilt receiving corps. Talented? Sure, and we may turn out to be fine. But does a legitimate top 5 team have as many questions as answers at this point?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.