Link: ESPN's Greatest Coaches

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I am glad that they had the sense to put Rockne 3rd. IMO, had he not died in that plane crash, he would be the GOAT and there wouldn't be a close second.

This is a valid argument in that every coach that follows him is (in most cases) modifying things he did.

On the flip side, he gets credit, but it was inevitable SOMEONE would have done what's been done.

This is also why I put Bill Walsh ahead of Belichick. Yeah, the 2nd Bill won more Super Bowls (which to me is a bit of a specious criteria), but he didn't invent a new offense.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I’d poll coaches on their opinion. Many on this blue ribbon panel are clueless. Including: Tim Brando, Dennis Dodd, Heather Dinich, Beth Mowins and others.

Gotta love any poll that values the opinions of Frank Beamer and Heather equally.
So, I agree that the panel has some idiots on it, but did you read it? Pretty solid read, and they clearly had some help because I doubt that many of their voters even knew who some of these guys were.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
So, I agree that the panel has some idiots on it, but did you read it? Pretty solid read, and they clearly had some help because I doubt that many of their voters even knew who some of these guys were.
You think Finebaum, Brando, Guilbeau, Dodd, etc got help? Egos be danged -- I bet not..... and some of these people are sideline reporters who were videoing shorts for their local college frat party 10 years ago..... They may have thought that Tom Osborne was Ozzy's Dad.... Plus Francione is on here ;)

Reactions: FairlyAmazing

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
You think Finebaum, Brando, Guilbeau, Dodd, etc got help? Egos be danged -- I bet not..... and some of these people are sideline reporters who were videoing shorts for their local college frat party 10 years ago..... They may have thought that Tom Osborne was Ozzy's Dad.... Plus Francione is on here ;)
My point was that the article was pretty cool. The rankings, like any rankings, are totally subjective. I didn't even look to see where they ranked OSU's coaches - don't care.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
OK, so I've looked at the list of the "Let's Drink Pabst Blue Ribbon and Give Our Opinions Group."

Obviously, I haven't heard of all of them but.....

Nancy Amour - absolute idiot
Tony Barnhart - would love to see his ballot, smart dude
Dennis Dodd - the guy who retroactively took both our 2009 and 2011 titles with his fantasy four-team playoff, having us lose the final to Texas....uh, yeah....
Pat Forde - mostly good, a mixed bag admittedly
Wally Hall - the village idiot of Little Rock
Matt Hayes - mixed bag
Cecil Hurt - very intelligent dude even when I disagree
Sally Jenkins - dumber than dirt
Stewart Mandel - a smart guy even when I disagree
Phillip Marshall - a Barner troll
Kevin Blackistone - intelligent
Rece Davis - smart
Heather Dinich - smart but plays an idiot so boys will like her
Paul Finebaum - an expert on why you don't need a comb but little else
Kirk Herbstreit - could have probably just let him do the list
Gene Wo-jo-jokowski - all you need to know about this bozo is he thought Canseco was a HOF ballplayer but McGwire wasn't; not the sharpest tool even when he's the only tool in the drawer
Tim Brando - the duckbilled platypus of commentators
Bob Stoops - really? a guy on the ballot gets a vote????

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
I think based on the wording of my post, its the subordinationism position. It was just an analogy, I was not using religion as a way to justify my choosing CPB over CNS.

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
Agree. Meyer has won at BG, Utah, FL and OSU. Dabo has earned his in a very watered down ACC. I'm not a fan of Meyer at all; but the resumes aren't even close.
Yep, I like Dabo (much more than Urban), but he has excelled at exactly one place against a very weak ACC.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Divided an empire...
I think based on the wording of my post, its the subordinationism position. It was just an analogy, I was not using religion as a way to justify my choosing CPB over CNS.
'

For starters, I'm just joshing with you a bit.
I still haven't figured out how to work my way through this new setup so bear with me (SWIDT?)

Good post.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
There is no way Tom Osborne should be ahead of either Wilkinson or Switzer.
Agreed on Switzer.

Wilkinson is a different matter altogether (although just to be clear, I tend to agree with you here as well).

I think what's difficult for a lot of folks to accept or deal with is just how precisely to evaluate coaches from different eras. (This, of course, is unique neither to CFB nor to coaches). We have to give credit to the Yosts, Rocknes, and Shaugnessys, who invented concepts upon which the game is now based. Of course as I said to B1G, these were inevitable in some sense - these names just happened to be the ones that did it. We have to recognize that fact as well while conceding them being light years ahead of the curve in some cases.

We have to concede IN GENERAL that there has been an improvement over time in quality of athlete as well as sport, viewed on a sort of incline where there's a gradual enough difference that some guys now would have been superstars in the 1930s - but some of the superstars then would be stars today, too (that's the harder part). And the stats used to build these cases are what leave me a little bit frustrated.

Bud Wilkinson (to use one example; I'll use Bryant in a moment) set a record that is never going to be broken, the infamous 47-game winning streak. Nobody has even come close to that one - and never will. The closest anyone has come is that loaded Miami team from 2000-2002 that won 34 - and even they fell AN ENTIRE SEASON short of breaking that record in an era of much more parity. But let's not confuse ourselves - Miami's winning streak is SUBSTANTIALLY superior to OU's in terms of accomplishment and difficulty. I don't say that to impugn Wilkinson. I mean, look at Dabo right now. What are they at, 28 games? Sure, folks want to slam them with, "But they haven't played anybody!" The problem, of course, is that UCF didn't play anybody either, but they didn't win 28 games in a row (Clemson's games against A/M in 18, Alabama, and Notre Dame were tougher than any opponent UCF faced). Boise didn't win 28 games in a row, and neither did BYU's mid-80s team that won a national title.

So I'm not slamming Wilkinson or OU by admitting reality. It was MUCH tougher for Miami to win 34 in a row than it was for Wilkinson to win 47 in his time. That's all I'm saying.

Likewise - and it's not a popular view here - but the whole Saban vs Bryant thing isn't even very close. Saban's accomplishments are substantially superior to Bryant's and even the people who want to get caught up on "but six national championships" have to take into account that it's MUCH harder to win a national title now than it was back when there were two of them and they were the result of voting without actually playing games (this should not be hard for rational people to understand). They have as many national titles as each other, Saban has him on winning pct (.791 to .780), their bowl records are comparable (15-12-1 vs 14-10), and Saban is coaching in an era of scholarship limitations and a MUCH more competitive SEC (esp 2008-2012) than Bryant faced in the 1970s in particular).

Of course, it IS reasonable if one wishes to argue (since we are, after all, discussing OPINIONS) that, "Bryant was a better coach than Saban." That IS a reasonable position provided you're not saying, "Bryant's concrete accomplishments exceed Saban's," because other than the number of wins - which are the result of coaching for more years while Saban was off as an NFL assistant and later head coach - this isn't even true.

So coaches have to be evaluated in the context of their time. I've long been one of those that has said that Bob Devaney - not Dr. Tom Prichard, er, Osborne - is the straw that stirred the Nebraska drink. Bob Devaney is the one who put Nebraska on the map and handed off a championship roster and team to Osborne. Now - we DO have to give Osborne credit for sustaining it and building it and winning with it as long as he did. After all, Phil Bengston, Frank Solich, Mark Helfrich, and dozens of guys have taken over teams that were champions and watched them implode. George Seifert sustained the Niners for a few years (credit) and then showed he wasn't all that good when he went to Carolina.

For some reason, when you say, "Tom Osborne is overrated," people hear, "Tom Osborne sucks and was a horrible football coach." That's not true, either, and it's also not true that just any bozo could have done what he did at Nebraska. If Osborne would have taken over for Bryant in 1983, he would have been a little bit better than Ray Perkins was because the style of ball he ran was so similar. I doubt he could have won a national title because the SEC from 1983-1989 was a monster. But he was a good coach, and he would have won anywhere.

But he wasn't in the top 10 all-time. Maybe top 20.

Reactions: B1GTide

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
I am on the same page in terms of football today compared to earlier era. Frankly, I'd rank Bob Stoops ahead of both Wilkinson and Switzer. He has had to deal with limited scholarships, social media, and the incredible press coverage and spotlight current in today's sport coverage. I would also rank Saban over Bryant for the same reasons. Bud had many more attributes 8n his resume than just a long winning streak...he actually had 2 such streaks with an earlier 31 game streak. Bud invented the 5-2 D which is now the 3-4. He invented the hurry up O. He had the first coaches show on TV. He invented the OKLAHOMA DRILL ( now somewhat discredited in this concussion protocol era ). Bud laid the foundation for the program as did Devaney at NU.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.