Example #640,346 Of Why The Press Can't Be Trusted

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Here's a link to an article that disturbs me greatly. Regrettably, it doesn't surprise me all that much.

Why Katie Couric hid RBG remarks on national anthem protests - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)

The mainstream press correctly denigrates fringe posers (especially if they're on the political right) for telling convenient parts of a story. Then comes this.

The point is not about whether athletes were or were not justified in their protests against the national anthem. The point is about ABC news, with the knowledge though not approval of its president, knowingly and intentionally edited out remarks by a sitting Supreme Court justice, "in order to protect her," and because, "they were unworthy of a crusader for equality."

Couric consulted David Brooks, a colleague and columnist not exactly known for right-wing stances. Brooks said that the 83-year-old Ginsberg was "elderly and probably didn't understand the question."

So he thinks Ginsberg is sound enough to sit on SCOTUS, but isn't sound enough to understand and answer a simple question from a talking head? Really? REALLY?!?!?

If Clarence Thomas or John Roberts, let alone Neal Gorsuch or Brett Kavanaugh or Amy Coney Bryant had said exactly the same thing, it would have been the lead, in 100-point type. (Note: I know the last three weren't on the court at the time of the interview, but you get my point).

This is only the latest in a seemingly endless stream of incidents wherein the mainstream press coddles, protects, and turns a blind eye toward public figures whom they (the press) view as sympathetic to their own leanings. If they don't see you that way, you get held to account for what you say, how you say it, and any biases they choose to infer -- with or without proof -- from your personal background. With apologies to Belushi's Seinfeld's soup Nazi, "No coverup for YOU!"

It is a great example of why I no longer watch TV news, except the local. No CNN, no networks (including Fox), no PBS, no nothing from talking heads. Quit listening to radio news long ago. I do read the Wall Street Journal, which is about the only source of national news in which I place the remotest scintilla of credibility.

The movie Network was originally done in the mid-70s as satire. It actually predicted the future.

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
belushi's soup nazi?
A Saturday Night Live skit where John Belushi played a guy that was an extremely prickly owner of a deli. Got into ridiculously trivial arguments with customers, and they always ended with, "No soup for YOU!"

Edit: On looking it up, I think Belushi played a saumrai, and Seinfeld did a take off on it, with the soup Nazi.

I think we're both showing our age.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
A Saturday Night Live skit where John Belushi played a guy that was an extremely prickly owner of a deli. Got into ridiculously trivial arguments with customers, and they always ended with, "No soup for YOU!"

Edit: On looking it up, I think Belushi played a saumrai, and Seinfeld did a take off on it, with the soup Nazi.

i got sid caesar and caesar romero mixed up once on here.

• Haha
Reactions: 4Q Basket Case

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Here's a link to an article that disturbs me greatly. Regrettably, it doesn't surprise me all that much.

Why Katie Couric hid RBG remarks on national anthem protests - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)

The mainstream press correctly denigrates fringe posers (especially if they're on the political right) for telling convenient parts of a story. Then comes this.

The point is not about whether athletes were or were not justified in their protests against the national anthem. The point is about ABC news, with the knowledge though not approval of its president, knowingly and intentionally edited out remarks by a sitting Supreme Court justice, "in order to protect her," and because, "they were unworthy of a crusader for equality."

Couric consulted David Brooks, a colleague and columnist not exactly known for right-wing stances. Brooks said that the 83-year-old Ginsberg was "elderly and probably didn't understand the question."

So he thinks Ginsberg is sound enough to sit on SCOTUS, but isn't sound enough to understand and answer a simple question from a talking head? Really? REALLY?!?!?

If Clarence Thomas or John Roberts, let alone Neal Gorsuch or Brett Kavanaugh or Amy Coney Bryant had said exactly the same thing, it would have been the lead, in 100-point type. (Note: I know the last three weren't on the court at the time of the interview, but you get my point).

This is only the latest in a seemingly endless stream of incidents wherein the mainstream press coddles, protects, and turns a blind eye toward public figures whom they (the press) view as sympathetic to their own leanings. If they don't see you that way, you get held to account for what you say, how you say it, and any biases they choose to infer -- with or without proof -- from your personal background. With apologies to Belushi's soup Nazi, "No coverup for YOU!"

It is a great example of why I no longer watch TV news, except the local. No CNN, no networks (including Fox), no PBS, no nothing from talking heads. Quit listening to radio news long ago. I do read the Wall Street Journal, which is about the only source of national news in which I place the remotest scintilla of credibility.

The movie Network was originally done in the mid-70s as satire. It actually predicted the future.
If she had been thinking clearly, she would have retired years before, as she was being begged to do, instead of being in total denial about her age and health...

• Thank You
Reactions: 92tide and seebell

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Read this story earlier today. If she wasn’t “thinking clearly” then she shouldn’t have been on the court. One thing I took from this story, among many, is we need an age limit on the SC (if not other type of limits too).

Reactions: 92tide and seebell

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
4Q, increasingly I find myself wanting to find a hobbit hole somewhere and withdraw from it all.

Unfortunately, I fear we would be as successful at staying withdrawn as the hobbits did.
I know how you feel. I'm healthy, but actuarially, I'm about 75% of the way through my ride on the planet....and I'm kind of glad about that.

Overall, it's been good, but I'm not optimistic about where we'll be in 20-25 years, and I'd just as soon not participate.

Pre-covid we travelled. During the pandemic, I've been holed up studying for some wine certifications -- a passion project, not anything I'll ever make any money on. They're surprisingly technical and time-consuming.

The first two of six modules have only the barest tangential relationship with tasting / drinking wine.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Fifteenessee
I watch ABC Evening News with David Muir for news reels. I read NYT, Wapo, and The Atlantic for news. All have a left wing tilt. I'd take the WSJ, but it's more expensive than the other two which I watch for deals and honestly, I don't have time to read everything I'd like on a daily basis.

FWIW, I think the NYT and WaPo do and excellent job of reporting the news. YMMV.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I know how you feel. I'm healthy, but actuarially, I'm about 75% of the way through my ride on the planet....and I'm kind of glad about that.

Overall, it's been good, but I'm not optimistic about where we'll be in 20-25 years, and I'd just as soon not participate.

Pre-covid we travelled. During the pandemic, I've been holed up studying for some wine certifications -- a passion project, not anything I'll ever make any money on. They're surprisingly technical and time-consuming.

The first two of six modules have only the barest tangential relationship with tasting / drinking wine.
Terroir?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
The test answer to that is:

Terroir is an often-misunderstood word. Many use it to refer to the soil alone. It certainly includes the soil, but also incorporates the latitude of the vineyard, it’s altitude, slope, the aspect of the slope, nature of the soil (mixture of clay, silt and sand), as well as its structure (how it forms aggregates — i.e., clumps together), its makeup (granitic, limestone, chalk, loam, whatever), and propensity to drain or retain moisture. Also includes soil health — availability of oxygen, nutrient content, and presence or absence of microbes and organisms. In short, all the components that make the vineyard a unique place, viewed as a whole, and its impact on the style, quality and flavor profile of the finished wine.

Like I said, sometimes the classes aren’t nearly as much fun as cracking open a bottle.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
On a related note, Thurgood Marshall retired due to declining health. That gave us Clarence Thomas. Marshall died four days after Clinton took office.

tattooguy21

All-American
Aug 14, 2012
FWIW, I think the NYT and WaPo do and excellent job of reporting the news. YMMV.
I thought so, similar to NPR. Then Trump came and sides were picked. I had been contributing to NPR for over a 15 years as I had always appreciated their "both sides" stance in every discussion they had. In less than a year after his win, that changed. Now, I have no idea how they do it because fool me once....same with NYT. Had been a digital subscriber since 2011 but dropped them in 2018.

Reactions: AlexanderFan

Bamaro

Hall of Fame
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

Good thing you're not the press reporting this

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Fifteenessee
I thought so, similar to NPR. Then Trump came and sides were picked. I had been contributing to NPR for over a 15 years as I had always appreciated their "both sides" stance in every discussion they had. In less than a year after his win, that changed. Now, I have no idea how they do it because fool me once....same with NYT. Had been a digital subscriber since 2011 but dropped them in 2018.
There have been multiple opportunities in the last few years to check on the various news organizations to see who is reporting fact and who has an agenda: the Mueller Report, both impeachments, several issues with Covid, the January 6 insurrection, Trump's phone call to Brad Raffensperger, Trump's phone call to Viktor Yushenko, the separation of families at the US/Mexican border, the entire stop the steal campaign from election day until now. These are just off the top of my head.

When you have the opportunity to read a government document that the press is reporting on, read that document for yourself and see who reports fact and who lies. I know for a fact that Fox News, OANN, and Newsmax have reported bold faced lies about the Mueller Report. CNN has left out important information on more than one occasion so I'm done with them. However, I haven't caught CNN in a lie. ABC has thirty minutes to sum up the days news. They sensationalize, but of all the network newscasts I've seen, I find ABC to be more credible than the rest.

Please, rather than a simple "I thought so," show me where the NYT or WaPo have misreported or underreported the news. Your "I thought so" sounds like you may have a preconceived impression of both papers and are not reading either. If you can show me where either paper has misreported or underreported any of the above mentioned events, I'll drop my subscription and thank you for saving me the fee. Tell me about a better source for news with more factual and complete information. Tell me what happened in 2018 to make you drop your subscription. Until then, your post has nothing for me to argue for or against.

Latest threads