Fair Pay to Play Act Signed into Law in CA

TiderinAZ

1st Team
Sep 20, 2015
Carefree, AZ
I could live with this law, if the athlete didn’t have access to the money until after he/she parted way with the university. Earn your money, put it in an investment, spend it after you leave school.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Judging by some of y’all’s comments, I think what some of y’all need to do is pour some serious money into the XFL and hope Vince can get 18 year olds into his league. Because the issue is and has always been is that the college level has progressively became a semi pro league. The days of playing for Alabama, Tennessee, Nebraska, Texas, and Oklahoma State Pride are over. Most athletes come to school to get to the pros.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Nonsense. Please read the article. This is for endorsement deals only. Title IX has nothing to do with it.
The Ambulance Chasers say hi!

Do you know why there are so many dumb stickers on the side of your step or extension ladder? Take a look at them when you get a chance. Everyone of them is the result of a frivolous lawsuit filed on the part of some idiot that misused it. The point being that if a lawyer can get money/notoriety from a lawsuit...he will go for it.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
THAT is exactly what will happen!!!

This whole thing is a Pandora's Box... :cool2:
Yes, we will be back to the days of kids getting money to do "work" such as watching the grass grow. Hey, come to AU and Yellafella will pay you $1000 for every tree you watch getting cut down. Hey, come work at Coach Saban's car dealership and make $1000 to drive a car around the lot and then pick which car you want to drive.
I don't see why people make the argument that the kids aren't allowed to get money for their likeness now. Kids can already get money from anyone who is willing to give it to them. However, they can't get that money and play college football. Some seem to think that playing college football does nothing for the athletes any way, so what is the big deal if these kids leave the game and get endorsement deals? Oh, is it because they actually get a crap load more than anyone wants to take into account? Yeah, I'm already done with the NFL and NBA, so losing college football and basketball seems to be the next logical step.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
The law is about the right to profit from their likeness. This is not employment. It is a guarantee of an implicit right every other person has in the marketplace.
True, but in the recruitment of a player, the pitch will be that yeller-feller thinks you are very marketable if you come to awbern and we will give you $$$....

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
you speak like my brother-in-law who thinks men never landed on the moon and 911 was an inside job.

Here's a solution you and I could probably agree with, remove the age limitation to the NFL, just let them go straight for the paycheck, Let the NFL expand their taxi squad to accommodate a few extra developmental players and then the "normal" players can do it the old fashioned way and get a degree while they play.

And for those who say they are not physically ready.... you're just not paying attention. These guys are coming out of HS ready.
There ya go... :cool2:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
And like the post above, in the political climate in which we live, someone will cry unfair. The poor kid that doesn’t have a deal for his or her likeness will claim some type of discrimination. Maybe the coach only plays the “paid” athletes undermining any chance the “unpaid” player has at making it to the next level. It will happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You nailed it! The gripe will be that I am not getting enough exposure to increase my worth...although the kids that get the yeller-feller deal might be good with whatever he gets already.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Judging by some of y’all’s comments, I think what some of y’all need to do is pour some serious money into the XFL and hope Vince can get 18 year olds into his league. Because the issue is and has always been is that the college level has progressively became a semi pro league. The days of playing for Alabama, Tennessee, Nebraska, Texas, and Oklahoma State Pride are over. Most athletes come to school to get to the pros.
Most? It is still a very small percentage who actually make it to the pros. Maybe many of them believe they will make it to the pros, but that is another unrealistic pipe-dream. If they take advantage of the educational opportunity that they are getting, they can better their lives and the lives of their families. That is one heck of a trade-off for playing a sport that they probably love and would play for free.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Anything to cut out the bagmen, I’m all for it.

It will also hopefully cut out instances where players get suspended for making money off their autograph which is the biggest load of garbage ever.
It won't cut them out, it will legalize them...

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Won't be a recruiting advantage if the PAC12 cannot ever play in a Championship Game....

I think it will be popcorn worthy.....from a "watch and see" standpoint
If all of the 5-stars flock to the Pac-12, it wouldn't be long....

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
That won't happen. The NCAA is already talking about ways to make this work within their framework. This just forces their hand. Why? Because other states are already working on similar laws. The only way the NCAA maintains any control is to get out in front of the tidal wave.
They better get it out there in a hurry...

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
People above acted like I can't read, but that's the sort of thing I was talking about. What about the women's rowing athlete that feels like she's being denied a sponsorship because a university doesn't provide the same support, marketing, etc. That's where the lawsuits will come in.
The schools with the wealthy boosters will see to it that there schools will get those athletes...

The awbern equestrian team will get the best hosses. :biggrin2:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
They better get it out there in a hurry...
To be fair, the law doesn't take effect for over three years - plenty of time for other states to do what they need.

Don't think for a second that the AL state legislature will sit on their hands based on ideology while two massive cash cows in the state get torpedoed...

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Had the NCAA simply allowed scholarship athletes a stipend to cover extra expenses this would be a non-issue. That said, is there anything California can't screw up?
I thought they already did that....:cool2:

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I guess my thought is does the NCAA continue what is basically fraud in terms of intercollegiate athletics like football and basketball being about amateur athletic competition and academics or do universities step up and say (honestly) “yep we’re developmental leagues for the NFL and NBA and we make a ton of money doing it” and get behind it universally and put place parameters to attempt to control the situation so it doesn’t become the proverbial “arms race”? Or goes the NCAA go the opposite way and say “Sorry we want to maintain amateurism (cough cough) and say if the athlete signs with an agent or an endorsement deal, the athletes are ineligible and, in essence, kill the goose that has been laying the golden eggs?

Personally I always felt it was a basic insult to our intelligence to tell me a some kids are student athletes” when it is absolutely clear they really aren’t. But if a kid has the ability to be successful out of high school with skills, abilities, and talents not tied to academics, why stand in their way?

Personally, I’m a fan of college football. And if that means the universities take the latter response and the “elite players” end up going straight to the NFL or NBA or some developmental league, then so be it. I’ll still be a college football fan, albeit maybe a lesser quality.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Most? It is still a very small percentage who actually make it to the pros. Maybe many of them believe they will make it to the pros, but that is another unrealistic pipe-dream. If they take advantage of the educational opportunity that they are getting, they can better their lives and the lives of their families. That is one heck of a trade-off for playing a sport that they probably love and would play for free.
Let’s ask the question... “ if the only restriction to getting to the NFL was a high school diploma/ GED, how many of Alabama’s skill players on Alabama’s offense would be at Alabama?”

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.