Fall Camp Catchall (practices, scrimmages, injuries)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I saw a couple of threads discussing the position depths going into fall camp but I didn't see anything dedicated to a discussion about what's happening during fall camp.

I think we are about 10 days into camp and yesterday was the first scrimmage. Post what you are hearing, observing and your general thoughts as we progress to game week, week 1!

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Going to have injuries, bumps and bruises during camp. Just so long as we don`t have the long term, Jo Jo type injuries. O line ( at least first team ) sounds really encouraging. Those guys REALLY need to stay healthy!

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Holden at WR supposedly had a great camp so far. He and Bryce have a connection.

Coach has had lots of great speakers so far in fall camp.

Hopefully all the injuries will be healed by game 1 and there won't be any more injuries, especially to starters at key positions.

Leadership seems to be great so far.

Anyone reading the new book on Coach Saban by John Talty? I have half way through. It is pretty good, but a lot of that stuff has been in other books already. Leadership by the players will be key this season in getting to the championship game (along with no injuries). Aside from Bryce and Will last season, leadership seemed to be an issue... some of the players didn't buy in.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Here is an article about the WR's. A little inconsistent and Prentice having a good day.

For the WRs, to me this was a very positive statement by CNS. Basically “we got young guys that can get the job done-just need to get better collectively”.

“But each and every day, there’s a different guy that shows that they have some ability to do some things in a really positive way. So I think if I was gonna evaluate the group, I would say we all need to play with more consistency.”

Reactions: Con and BamaMoon

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Some quick notes from The Athletic (behind paywall) on the scrimmage

- WRs had drops, specifically Brooks had a few
- starting 3 wrs were Brooks, Burton and Holden
- when going 5 wide Leary and Prentice came in
- Tyler Harell is still learning the playbook. Got open deep once but Milroe missed him
- also heard positive things about Shazz Preston

- starting OL from left to right was Steen, Randolph, Dalcourt, Ekiyor, Latham
- 2nd team OL was Knight, Cohen, McLaughlin, Booker, George

-Gibbs is the real deal and is "even better than we thought"

- Jahim Oatis is getting some first team reps. One source said "we can't move Oatis" meaning even double teams aren't pushing him back
-Burroughs is looking good

- Moody has inside track to start with To'oTo'o

-Barswell is considered elite along with Turner and Anderson
- Keanu Koht is making plays and making some noise even with the 3 edge guys in front of him

- Ricks and Arnold got time at 1st team CB across from Kool Aid. Sounds like Ricks still isn't comfortable in the defense which is definitely a flag. But Arnold has played well

Last edited:

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012

- Tyler Harell is still learning the playbook. Got open deep once but Milroe missed him

- Jahin Oatis is getting some first team reps. On source said "we can't move Oatis" meaning even double teams aren't pushing him back

- Keanu Koht is making plays and making some noise even with the 3 edge guys in front of him

- Ricks and Arnold got time at 1st team CB across from Kool Aid. Sounds like Ricks still isn't comfortable in the defense which is definitely a flag. But Arnold has played well
Love seeing the reshuffling on the o-line. Seeing two starters on the second team that might have been two of our better o-lineman last year says Wofford isn’t giving anyone a handout.

Reactions: Windsortide and Con

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

- Jahin Oatis is getting some first team reps. On source said "we can't move Oatis" meaning even double teams aren't pushing him back

Interesting Randolph at guard. More power to him! Maybe that`s where he should have been all along. What`s with the drops? Lack of concentration? The highlight film comes AFTER you catch the ball.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Good news on the OL.

I am concerned about the dropped passes. Seems to be a holdover since Metchie and Williams went down….NCG, spring ball, A-Day, and the first scrimmage of fall camp.

Don’t know what’s causing the problem, but it’s persistent.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
Could

Could Ricks still be having nagging issues from his shoulder injury? He did really well in Spring.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The drops? I know we got spoiled by the 4 horsemen hardly ever dropping a ball. Did the staff?

Not saying we aren't having drops, but just wondering if it's more of a "normal" thing if not for the recent memory of having four sticky hand guys?

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
The drops? I know we got spoiled by the 4 horsemen hardly ever dropping a ball. Did the staff?

Not saying we aren't having drops, but just wondering if it's more of a "normal" thing if not for the recent memory of having four sticky hand guys?
How many drops actually occurred? Some complained about drops by the WR at the end of last season. I went back and checked the Georgia game I think. Not many drops by the WRs at all. Most was the TE and RBs.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL

If oatis is as good as we are hearing in the middle. Turner and Anderson may become even more terrifying coming off the edge.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
If oatis is as good as we are hearing in the middle. Turner and Anderson may become even more terrifying coming off the edge.
Oatis is becoming a really interesting story. Way overweight this time last year, but has worked hard and lost 50 - 70 pounds, while apparently maintaining strength.

The question will be how long he can sustain — as in, can he be a 3-down player, or will he be limited to mainly passing downs? It’ll be fun finding out.

tideindc

2nd Team
Jan 2, 2015
Good news on the OL.

I am concerned about the dropped passes. Seems to be a holdover since Metchie and Williams went down….NCG, spring ball, A-Day, and the first scrimmage of fall camp.

Don’t know what’s causing the problem, but it’s persistent.
I’m not gonna start feeling great about our receiving corps until I see them do something. It’s been a couple yrs now since anyone we brought in other than a transfer has been close to an impact player.

Last edited:
Reactions: RTR_UA#1

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.