Far-right sends shockwaves in France after electoral breakthrough

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Securing 42% in April’s presidential election, Le Pen had already tapped into the general disenchantment with President Emmanuel Macron and identifying anger across the country over the rising cost of living and the decline of many rural communities.

On Sunday, she took that one step further. According to estimates, Le Pen’s party will win between 85-90 seats, up from just two in 2012 and eight in 2017, which could make it the second-largest party in parliament. Major pollsters last week estimated just 25-50 seats.

“We have achieved our three objectives: that of making Emmanuel Macron a minority president, without control of power and that of pursuing the political recomposition essential to democratic renewal,” a triumphant Le Pen told reporters after being re-elected in northern France and vowing to be a respectful opposition.

“And of forming a decisive opposition group against the deconstructors from above, the Macronists, and from below, the Nupes,” she added referring to the left wing alliance, which should become the largest opposition bloc in parliament, but whose main far-left party, La France Insoumise, is set to win fewer seats than the RN.
Far-right sends shockwaves in France after electoral breakthrough

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
It’s called believing you are safe just because you see your opposition is a bunch of fools and that polls suggest that you have overwhelming support.
The Hillary Clinton method.

it's also called having a crap ton of people who are into far-right fascism and folks who are willing to expend massive amounts of money and power to organize and motivate them.
The Donald Trump method.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'm guessing the 'far right' in FR is probably pretty moderate compared to the US counterparts.
Eh… that’s a bit tricky to say. While Trump danced around the concept of banning Muslims and deporting certain ones, Le Pen has outright been vocal about what she calls De-Islamification of France.

European politics generally have more control over their radicals through the parliamentary system but they do stand a good chance of winning permanent seats. I mean just look at some of the UK’s crazies. We have Some very nationalistic supporters and outright Marxists in parliament. Pretty much every parliament works like “the crazies have their voice but are largely ignored , the two adults compete for control, and the third plays mediator”

France’s crazies gaining legitimate power is more of a result of Paris for years and years telling everyone else to shut up and color, and the RN swooping in and running an anti Parisian campaign that has started to become more popular to the point that it is a threat.

Last edited:

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
I try to talk to my Republican friends who complain about high prices and when I praise our guest-workers as being peaceful, Christian assimilators, they stare at me. They don't know what a guest-worker is. What can we do? I'm trying to talk football and they've never seen the game.

Reactions: 92tide

catsbane

Scout Team
Dec 11, 2008
Helena
"who complain about high prices"
Maybe context would clarify for me but the current high prices have virtually nothing to do with either
dearth or surfeit of workers and much to do with idiotic policies.
"praise our guest-workers as being peaceful"
Mostly, except for those career criminals, ms-13 members, cartel and terrorist operatives passing daily
and largely unopposed through our porous border.
"Christian"
There are shades of meaning to that, like many, words. Applied so broadly as this I think it is largely
meaningless.
"assimilators"
It's not clear to me that any assimilating is occurring or if so who is assimilating whom. Time will tell.
"don't know what a guest-worker is"
Do you? I take it as someone who fills out required paperwork, is approved and THEN crosses the border. Someone who is perceived by government to have skills that meet needs in the national community. It is NOT someone who self approves and then moves into your house for good or ill. A burglar is not a guest worker.
I rarely post on politics, too charged a topic. My perception is that the "far right" is gaining power
in France because many French are concerned with being overwhelmed in a foreign and largely muslim tide. That they are concerned with losing their national identity, their culture and safety within their own borders. My perception is that they turn to the "far right" reluctantly and because the left has allowed them no other choice and that the left rather than hearing and addressing concerns has facilitated the loss of identity, culture and safety.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
so, the french far-right are using the great replacement theory to whip up nationalist resentment just like the far-right in the u.s.
That and other conspiracies, which are about as popular there as here.

I am a firm believer that doubling down on stupid rarely makes a situation better and that people are responsible for the decisions they make.

We've seen the story several times in Europe of what happens when far right ideologues (as opposed to moderates/right centrists) take power and it never ends well.

The global groundswell for easy answers and for scapegoats offered by the far right should concern anyone not in solidarity with them (well, should concern them also, really).

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH and 92tide

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
That and other conspiracies, which are about as popular there as here.

I am a firm believer that doubling down on stupid rarely makes a situation better and that people are responsible for the decisions they make.

We've seen the story several times in Europe of what happens when far right ideologues (as opposed to moderates/right centrists) take power and it never ends well.

The global groundswell for easy answers and for scapegoats offered by the far right should concern anyone not in solidarity with them (well, should concern them also, really).
If you had asked me ten years ago where absurd conspiracy theories were more popular - here or in Europe, I would have unhesitatingly answered "Europe." That has changed and not for the better...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
My daughter tells me that Macron is soundly hated outside Paris and is regarded as the Parisian president...
Having spent a while in France (but not as much as Earl's daughter), I think there is a lot to this. Traditionally, there has been tension between cosmopolitan Paris and the more traditional countryside of France. Traditionally, Paris wins that fight (at least since 1789). See the revolt in the Vendée in the 1790s and the Commune of 1870-1 as cases in point. I do not much care for Ms. Le Pen and her politics, but it would be a mistake to be dismissive of her and the wave of discontent she rides.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Having spent a while in France (but not as much as Earl's daughter), I think there is a lot to this. Traditionally, there has been tension between cosmopolitan Paris and the more traditional countryside of France. Traditionally, Paris wins that fight (at least since 1789). See the revolt in the Vendée in the 1790s and the Commune of 1870-1 as cases in point. I do not much care for Ms. Le Pen and her politics, but it would be a mistake to be dismissive of her and the wave of discontent she rides.
She and her father before she took over the party have luckily had limited success in elections because of the way French elections work.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
She and her father before she took over the party have luckily had limited success in elections because of the way French elections work.
For folks who like PR (proportional representation), she would have a bigger say in l'Assemblée Nationale with PR.

I think the €1 million "loan" from the Kremlin was not just because Vladimir Vladimirovich is a generous guy.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.