Favorite play in Alabama history

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
There are so many that it makes it hard to pick. For years it was The Gold Line Stand. Now it has to be 2nd and 26 without a doubt. I was in the stands for Rocky Block and for The Catch. Those were pretty special. The stadium was rocking during Rocky Block epecially.
In my 50+ years of going to Alabama games, that was the loudest moment I’ve ever heard.

Loudest crowd evaluated on the whole game, beginning to end (i.e., not just one play), was the 2005 Florida game

crimsonseal12

3rd Team
Aug 10, 2011
Gulfport, Ms
I went through the roof when Don McNeal stopped Scott Fitzkee at the 1 yard line. That set up what i thought at the time to be the Greatest play I would ever witness. Then the 2nd and 26 happened. Both were unbelievable. So now i can just hope to stay alive long enough to witness another one as great as those two.

Bama75&80

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 5, 2019
2nd and 26 no doubt great but such a close second for me was listening to Kenny Stablers run in the mud on my Auburn brothers’ micro-transistor radio and rubbing it in for the next year. That young kid still finds his older brother when we win to rub it in. Also, Homan had a great block.

• Roll Tide!
Reactions: The Ols

FaninLA

2nd Team
Jul 9, 2019
Cantonment, FL
2nd and 26 overall, and that's easy for me. One of the few moments in life where I was literally speechless...

@BDS...Rocky Block...so much emotion and to block a second kick to beat Kiffin and retain our ranking...I don't think It has ever been louder in BDS...the place was shaking!!!

EDIT: When Julio went 73 against LSU in '09 for the win, that was pretty special too!!!
I attended that LSU game with a bunch of LSU fans from work. We rode to the game together, up from the Gulf Coast. They talked smack the entire trip. The only response I gave them was if Alabama won, they had to stay until I said we could leave. That was their first time to be subjected to Rammer Jammer! The wife and I loved it!!!

• Roll Tide!

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
The 2nd and 26 is definitely my favorite, but I wasn't there. As for plays I saw in person, it would have to be Langham's pick-six in the '92 SEC championship game. We were in a real struggle with a great Spurrier team and the game was tied with roughly 3 minutes remaining. Bama needed a TD badly and then Langham stepped up. Langham read the play perfectly, stepped in front of the pass, and then took it to the house. It was in Legion Field and it was pure bliss. I went home and watched the replay of the game with my mom. What an amazing memory! :D

• Roll Tide!

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Not my favorite play (that would be 2X26), but up there: Major Ogilvie’s tackle on a Penn State interception return in the Goal Line Stand game. I haven’t looked at the video in ages; but my memory (!) is that Major came a long way, way faster than I thought he could to make that tackle. Saved a touchdown, and although it occurred in the first half, the Stand likely wouldn’t have happened without that play in a low scoring game. As mentioned earlier, Don McNeal’s tackle on Scott Fitzkee, followed by two goal line stops, and that puts four of my favorite plays in one game.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
The acid tests if you are watching on TV are how quickly did you come out of the chair, how high did you jump, how loud did you yell, and how long was it before you came back to earth.

2nd and 26 is waaaay on the top of that list for me.

Next is the take away. The goal line stand. The sack. The catch. Rocky block.

The really, really great plays have their own name. I was there to witness the sack and the goal line stand. I also was there for the previously mentioned Rutledge to Wheeler bomb. Another favorite I got to see in person was the Marcel Darius TD at the Rose Bowl. But of course if Colt hadn't gotten hurt....
On 2 and 26, I was stunned. I didn't yell, jump, or anything of the sort. Just said, "dayum, just like that, Bama just won another NC".

Reactions: Go Bama

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Well, for just sheer coming completely out of nowhere, it's Tua to Devonta. How could anyone have seen that coming. My second is the play that never happened, which was the Teague strip against Miami in '92. That play was so pivotal, as I could see every Hurricane fan thinking they had hope when Lamar Thomas was streaking down the sideline. Talk about the ultimate gut punch to Miami.

FaninLA

2nd Team
Jul 9, 2019
Cantonment, FL
That I witnessed as an "in the stadium" fan, probably Alabama's first play from scrimmage in the 1973 Tennessee game (Legion Field): an 80‐yard touchdown pass from Gary Rutledge to Wayne Wheeler.
We watched that one from Freeport, Grand Bahama, when my Dad was there on a two year assignment. Beautiful fake into the line!

bama_fan01

Hall of Fame
Aug 25, 2003
Ranburne, AL, USA
How about Jeff Dunn's 90 yard bomb to Pierre Goode in 1987? I had a co-worker who had moved to Carrollton, GA from Knoxville. His family were seriously obnoxious vile fans. He started talking trash after Florida beat us, and it got worse as the season went on. He somehow got tickets to the game, but had absolutely nothing to say on Monday when he came back to work!

Reactions: dtgreg

whatsamatta U

1st Team
Jan 1, 2009
Athens, AL
I think of the 2015 (?) LSU game. Not one play but holding the ball for the last 9+ minutes to ice the game was truly amazing. Henry was in beast mode the whole game.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I would call it a tie between Teague's takeaway,
and big Cody blocking the Tennessee kick for the win. I loved both guys.
Tie goes to the winner. CODY.
Big man, Big play.
(Maybe I voted for Cody because I was there...
Sometimes end zone seats work out.)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Here's the thing with 2nd and 26:

I had cut the cord during the offseason because over the years I noticed I NEVER (and I mean never) watched anything until college football season started. (The bonus came when my brother won a free year of MLB network, so I spent that summer watching a lot of baseball that cost me nothing).

So - unfortunately - I had Sling TV, and I was running about 2 minutes behind everyone else. I was getting texts from people, and it was frustrating to know in advance what was going to happen. About the time we tied the game, I turned off my phone, and I wasn't following the game here for the same reason. When we held them to a field goal, I felt real good about us winning, but then Tua damn near fumbled the ball on first down when he got hit for the loss. Although I had not given up - I've only given up once in 40-plus years, and I was wrong (2014 LSU) - I knew it was going to be difficult and just hoped that UGA's defense was gassed. When he unleashed the pass, it was unbelievable and then when Smith caught it, I bolted out of the chair as if I couldn't believe what I'd seen (it was Jack Buck watching Kirk Gibson's homer). Naturally, I ran to the phone and turned it back on and began calling friends on the West Coast.

It gave me such a sudden charge that despite the fact I had to be up in less than six hours to go to work, I didn't even care. I was like, "How can I sleep NOW?" I was so taken by the moment that I didn't even notice him running over the camera guy (or whoever) as he ran back across the end zone. The next day, of course, I was exhausted at work but got that little extra rush.

It was kinda like our The Play That Shall Not Be Mentioned - except it actually won something substantial.

• Roll Tide!

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
1) 2nd and 26 - to go from being down because of the sack to winning the national championship in one throw was an amazing rush of emotions for me.

2) Dareus INT for TD in the national championship game at the Rose Bowl - I was at this game as a student (my final game as a student) and this play happened in front of me. The Texas fans near me were incredulous.

3) Rocky Block - I was at this game too, and my girlfriend (now wife) refused to watch this play so she turned around. So many high-fives and hugs with random people after Cody blocked the kick.

4) 2008 Iron Bowl - this wasn't a play as the OP wanted, but I remember how happy, elated, excited the crowd was the entire game. Everyone seemed to sense a big win before the game, and the crowd was non-stop loud the whole time. With the exception of the Rose Bowl national championship, it was definitely the longest post-game celebration I've seen before everyone started leaving. It was almost as if people just wanted to savor beating Auburn for the first time in 6 years.

• Roll Tide!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.