FDA bans Juul e-cigarettes tied to teen vaping surge

CrimsonJazz

All-American
May 27, 2022
How many will switch over to real cigarettes? I would love to see some data on this in six months.

CrimsonJazz

All-American
May 27, 2022
The reason I wonder is because that nicotine monkey is a tough nut to crack. I should know, it was incredibly hard for me and for every other former smoker I know. More often than not, people will look for alternatives rather than quit. That or the black market is about to blow up with these pods or whatever they're called.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The reason I wonder is because that nicotine monkey is a tough nut to crack. I should know, it was incredibly hard for me and for every other former smoker I know. More often than not, people will look for alternatives rather than quit. That or the black market is about to blow up with these pods or whatever they're called.
Well, Juul is only one manufacturer - there are apparently lots, and 'single hitters' appear to be really popular with the kiddos.

But yeah, that's the point - nicotine is a tough quit by all accounts. It's why these companies love hate it when kids get hold of them...

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Well, Juul is only one manufacturer - there are apparently lots, and 'single hitters' appear to be really popular with the kiddos.

But yeah, that's the point - nicotine is a tough quit by all accounts. It's why these companies love hate it when kids get hold of them...
i know someone who went from cigarettes to Juul's who had quit years prior and relapsed. Quitting the Juul was far, far harder for her. Not sure what is in them but it was a real struggle and much harder than regular old smokes

Reactions: crimsonaudio

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It seems to be genetic, although women seem to have a harder time over all. In my case, I just woke up one morning and realized I'd quit. That was in January 1964, after the surgeon general's report came out...

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
From what I've read young people aren't heavy Juul users anymore anyway.

That said, all the young folks I know who vape would never consider smoking - they find it disgusting.
Yep. This is an alternative with a fruity flavor. It’s like chewing gum to them with a nicotine. Vapes have only been around since 2008ish. Not enough long term data to know the long term effects plus this. I know they’re better than cigarettes/cigars/tobacco but neither are good.

Reactions: CrimsonJazz

J0eW

1st Team
Jul 18, 2020
I smoked cigarettes for 20 plus years. I quit back in 1998. My wife did also. We both identify this as the hardest thing (damn hardest thing) either of us have done. I don't buy into vaping being a safer alternative. It is just another road to addiction. Addiction is a hard place to leave!

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I smoked cigarettes for 20 plus years. I quit back in 1998. My wife did also. We both identify this as the hardest thing (damn hardest thing) either of us have done. I don't buy into vaping being a safer alternative. It is just another road to addiction. Addiction is a hard place to leave!
AS an advocate of harm reduction strategies I will agree that no one should begin vaping because that's just stupid.

That said, if someone uses it to quit smoking it is a far safer alternative for nicotine replacement (compared to smoking) and if it helps someone quit then the small risk associated with it is worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: TIDE-HSV

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Vaping is every bit addictive, if not more so, than cigs. I believe however that vaping doesn't create all the carcinogenic byproducts that cigs do.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Vaping is every bit addictive, if not more so, than cigs. I believe however that vaping doesn't create all the carcinogenic byproducts that cigs do.
Maybe? It seems logical but we don't really know at this point.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.