Link: Final Coaches Poll...

Bpilktree

1st Team
Jan 7, 2019
Houston vastly overrated IMO. Yes they made final four but they played no one to get there. They beat a 15,10,11,12 on their way to Final Four.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
Houston vastly overrated IMO. Yes they made final four but they played no one to get there. They beat a 15,10,11,12 on their way to Final Four.
Yeah, I would have gladly traded brackets with them. I thought from the jump that our bracket was a lot tougher in reality than it was on paper. When the play-in game is UCLA vs. Michigan State, geez....

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
How does that punish a 1 seed? 16 seeds are the only ones that should need to "play in." Anyone in consideration for an 11 seed should already be in the tournament, above all the 15, 14, and 13 seeds.
Sorry. Misread your post. I read it as UCLA/Mich State would go in as 16 seeds.

I don’t think we need 68. Just go back to 64 and be done.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Sorry. Misread your post. I read it as UCLA/Mich State would go in as 16 seeds.

I don’t think we need 68. Just go back to 64 and be done.
Agreed. The problem is the auto-bids for leagues that clearly don't belong. UCLA and Michigan State both should have been in. The cut off should have been for the lower rated leagues who don't deserve an auto-bid.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Agreed. The problem is the auto-bids for leagues that clearly don't belong. UCLA and Michigan State both should have been in. The cut off should have been for the lower rated leagues who don't deserve an auto-bid.
I think every conference should get an auto-bid. It makes the tournament more exciting and gives lower tier conference teams something to aim for. It's not football - there are big upsets in basketball and there are plenty of slots.

I think if you have a choice between putting in a 16th seed UMBC that won their conference and the 8th best team in the Pac12 you go with the conference winner.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I think every conference should get an auto-bid. It makes the tournament more exciting and gives lower tier conference teams something to aim for. It's not football - there are big upsets in basketball and there are plenty of slots.

I think if you have a choice between putting in a 16th seed UMBC that won their conference and the 8th best team in the Pac12 you go with the conference winner.
I would prefer the regular season champion instead of the conference tournament champion that had a losing record and just caught fire in the conference tournament. I realize there are drawbacks to that too.

I think most conferences should get an auto-bid for the reasons you state, but not sure I agree that all should. But it's not going to change anyway.

Reactions: TIDE-HSV

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
I would prefer the regular season champion instead of the conference tournament champion that had a losing record and just caught fire in the conference tournament. I realize there are drawbacks to that too.

I think most conferences should get an auto-bid for the reasons you state, but not sure I agree that all should. But it's not going to change anyway.
They are 31 conferences in D1 basketball. That would leave 33/37 at- large bids. Sounds like plenty.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.